Any reasonably priced product for arthritis

Sheepdip

Visit site
I have a 22 yr old cob who has been slightly arthritic in her off fore leg for a few years. It hasn't stopped her doing light work for the last two or three years ( just the odd steady plod out and an occasional indoor winter trec competition). She rides like a TB still and is so keen and enthusiastic when ridden. She's been unridden for about 12 months now as she has a very slight nod in trot but the old mare is gutted when she sees the others going out riding. Don't want to be paying a fortune but just wondered if anyone had dealt with a similar issue and found a supplement that would help enough to keep her with the odd outing now and then

Sukistokes2

Visit site
For my gelding I have used both Devils Claw and turmeric. The turmeric is by the far the cheapest even with the added black pepper and oil. Both of these worked really well. In fact the turmeric work so well I now take it myself :)

You can buy on line cheaper the in shops. I don't use the recommended oil as it didn't suit my horse, using another sort has not stopped it wotking.

I have heard it doesn't work on some horses, it didn't on my friends, however the change , within a week on my horse was dramatic. I certainly feel the difference if I don't take mine.

limestonelil

Visit site
Another good result for Devil's Claw - made my beautiful Sultan much more comfortable,no need for bute. Worked within about 8 days. Give it a try and see.

Cocorules

Visit site
My arthritic pony is on bute. Arthritis is painful and gets more so as it progresses and they need pain relief for it. It is worth discussing with your vet.

In my pony's case she went straight on bute on being diagnosed. She was on half a sachet twice a day. The vet explained that it was better to split the dose as it would last hours (and probably not 12 hours) rather than 24 hours so the painkiller needed to be spread out as much as possible. As her arthritis has progressed the dose has been upped. In her case she was diagnosed at 20 and is now 26.

Abacus

Visit site
Turmeric is the one thing that I am totally sure made a difference. Turmeric, black pepper (freshly ground) and micronised linseed. Within 3 days my chap went from slow, achy leaving the box and not himself, to cantering round the field being boss again. It was worked for 3 years now, and we really noticed how he struggled when we ran out. Recently I have also added a more pricy supplement called Yumove which was well recommended. I do think it helped a little also, but didn't make as much obvious difference as the turmeric.

PorkChop

Visit site
In a horse that age I would use bute/danilon as and when needed tbh. You are very unlikely to be significantly shortening her life span now.

There are lots of supplements that can work, however not necessarily cheap and you need to be giving them a reasonable amount of time before you know whether they are helping.

meleeka

Visit site
Another vote for Yumove. I've tried a lot of supplements and this was the only one I noticed a dramatic difference with. Not that cheap though, but worth it for mine.

Regandal

Visit site
I like to see evidence that something works, so use boswellia. It has the added advantage of slowing the progression of arthritis. Well, it has been demonstrated in humans, so I'm just extrapolating!

windand rain

Visit site
Another vote for Turmeric. Micronised linseed and black pepper. Worked brilliantly on my mare she is 21 next year and had surgery on a leg 19 years ago so was intermittently lame from arthritic changes She is now completely sound rarely gets sore and is still working doing everything she always did including jumping. She has no other supplements

Goldenstar

Visit site
Danilon is not that expensive at dose of one packet a day and it has the advantage of having been tested and proved to work .

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
I have a 22 yr old cob who has been slightly arthritic in her off fore leg for a few years. It hasn't stopped her doing light work for the last two or three years ( just the odd steady plod out and an occasional indoor winter trec competition). She rides like a TB still and is so keen and enthusiastic when ridden. She's been unridden for about 12 months now as she has a very slight nod in trot but the old mare is gutted when she sees the others going out riding. Don't want to be paying a fortune but just wondered if anyone had dealt with a similar issue and found a supplement that would help enough to keep her with the odd outing now and then
Flexi Joint every time

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Danilon is not that expensive at dose of one packet a day and it has the advantage of having been tested and proved to work .
I use Danilon when my arthritic horse needs it. I had resigned myself to the fact he was on it for good last year but actually play it by ear now. He may need a few weeks/months on it but then be fine for a while.
I'm lucky in that my vets will price match online prices which makes it very reasonable.

sunnyone

Visit site
My French vet has prescribed a soup spoon of aspirin per day for our 26 year old. She's definitely moving better for it. 1 kg from the chemist cost me about £40.
I initially gave the horse a teaspoon of garlic to hide the taste but now she's on turmeric instead.
The vet said bute is probably going to be banned here as its carcinogenic and her practise charged me £4 for 1 sachet whilst the chemist sold me a box of 4 sachets for £8.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My French vet has prescribed a soup spoon of aspirin per day for our 26 year old. She's definitely moving better for it. 1 kg from the chemist cost me about £40.
I initially gave the horse a teaspoon of garlic to hide the taste but now she's on turmeric instead.
The vet said bute is probably going to be banned here as its carcinogenic and her practise charged me £4 for 1 sachet whilst the chemist sold me a box of 4 sachets for £8.

Danilon is just under £1 a sachet here .
And a sachet day will give a good result on lots of horses so less than £7 a week good value to keep an old friend happy .

maree t

Visit site
We use Turmeric and have done for over 3 years . If fed properly with pepper and a recommended oil then it is very effective . I was able to come off prescription medication . We use it for the dogs and horses as well as ourselves . Cheap and easy to feed . We still have bute here if someone is having a bad day or had a knock .

Supertrooper

Visit site
I use Yumove also for my pony. But the huge difference in him has been since I started him on Global Herbs Alphabute, I believe that has Boswelia in it. I'm very impressed with it xx

Regandal

Visit site
I enquired about the hack-up supplement, the one for joint relief. It contains turmeric and boswellia amongst other things.
At an eye-watering price. They are now on a diy version!

only_me

Visit site
Turmeric is very good. It's fed along with oil and pepper; I use carron oil. You can join the tumeric group on Facebook, but beware as they are like a cult :p

Arthri-aid is a good joint supplement, not too expensive for the levels of glucosamine/HA etc. I get it from horse health :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I use boswellia from rahiiq. He's only stiff in one hock and I opted to inject it rather than Bute as it is so localised

Sheepdip

Visit site
Wow, thank you for all your suggestions and experiences. Turmeric is looking like a strong favourite. I'll do a bit of research. She live in a field 24/7 with other horses, does it take a lot of feed to disguise the spicy taste of turmeric. It would be nice if it could be condensed into a tiny feed if I could make it palatable. That way I could sneakily feed her while the others ate carrots

Hannahgb

Visit site
I like to see evidence that something works, so use boswellia. It has the added advantage of slowing the progression of arthritis. Well, it has been demonstrated in humans, so I'm just extrapolating!

This. Saw such a difference in his movement within days.

Shady

Visit site
Wow, thank you for all your suggestions and experiences. Turmeric is looking like a strong favourite. I'll do a bit of research. She live in a field 24/7 with other horses, does it take a lot of feed to disguise the spicy taste of turmeric. It would be nice if it could be condensed into a tiny feed if I could make it palatable. That way I could sneakily feed her while the others ate carrots
That's good that she lives out, much better if they can keep moving rather than be stabled too much
Start with a little bit, quarter to half a teaspoon perhaps and a few grinds of pepper , mix to a paste with oil ( i use Olive ) add an apple or carrots or both or a bit of her favourite thing and mix with a little water ( well this is what i do ) and see what happens, mine love it, if she is ok with it, move to increase the quantity until you reach 1 good sized table spoon, 10 ish grinds of black pepper and enough oil to makes a paste then mix with preferred feed. I add this plus a spoon of devils claw to 1 apple, 1 carrot and a tiny handful of oaty stuff( rubbish french thing but nothing else available!) i always add a little water or it is quite dry/ pastey . x

noblesteed

Visit site
Mine has spavin (hock arthritis) and turmeric works better with him than a joint supplement. I don't bother with the black pepper and oil, I just add it to his safe and sound. I will try the black pepper if it stops working as it is though. Last winter it got colder around january so I added devils claw. Seems to keep him going. He had steroid injections in his joint in Feb this yaer and so far on the turmeric he hasn''t needed any more...
He's a picky eater and eats it in a scoop of safe and sound. I get it off eBay, £7 for a massive bag.

windand rain

Visit site
Most horses love it so it isnt a problem to feed the linseed meal is usually gobbled up so the rest is barely noticed. Buy the turmeric in a small packet for a start to see if he eats it I am sure you have something suitable to feed it in. If using micronised linseed you need three times as much linseed to turmeric so three spoons of linseed to one of turmeric. If using coconut or olive oil it is one to one.
If he loves it as most of the ones I have seen do then it is cheapest to buy at an oriental supermarket 5Kg costs me 11.50 and last three ponies about 6 months. Linseed is easy to get it costs about 15-20 for 25kgs and again last months a pepper grinder from tescos is 2 and lasts ages too
Mine have a 25mls scoop of turmeric a mug of linseed and 12 twists of pepper per day in a smal feed of alfalfa and straw chaff dampened by a few soaked grassnuts all in all the feed is about two double hands full

Shady

Visit site
Most horses love it so it isnt a problem to feed the linseed meal is usually gobbled up so the rest is barely noticed. Buy the turmeric in a small packet for a start to see if he eats it I am sure you have something suitable to feed it in. If using micronised linseed you need three times as much linseed to turmeric so three spoons of linseed to one of turmeric. If using coconut or olive oil it is one to one.
If he loves it as most of the ones I have seen do then it is cheapest to buy at an oriental supermarket 5Kg costs me 11.50 and last three ponies about 6 months. Linseed is easy to get it costs about 15-20 for 25kgs and again last months a pepper grinder from tescos is 2 and lasts ages too
Mine have a 25mls scoop of turmeric a mug of linseed and 12 twists of pepper per day in a smal feed of alfalfa and straw chaff dampened by a few soaked grassnuts all in all the feed is about two double hands full

Wind and Rain. somebody gave me a bag of micronised linseed and i've been looking at it thinking that if i give my rather stocky beasties this instead of olive oil they will end up like space hoppers? is a 3 to 1 mix every day likely to do this? i admit to knowing nothing about linseed except it's good for joints, coats, hooves and poor doers?
Hope you don't mind me asking on your thread OP. xx

4x4

Visit site
I have just started my mare on turmeric again as the weather is damp and although not being ridden she was starting to look stiff and miserable. I use micronised linseed as the oil and black pepper. She is out without a rug (thick coat), bringing her in makes her stiff and as she is a cob she is quite hardy. I give her a double handul of a flavoured chaff with the turmeric, linseed, black pepper and brewers yeast. Add some chopped carrots or apples if you're worried, mix the turmeric in with an old spoon. She wolfs it down!
I am currently using it on my other horse who is very itch to see if it makes any difference to him