Any recommendations or places to avoid for exeter...livery

shellebage

Visit site
Hi all, could I have recommendations for livery in Exeter please? Preferably within a sensible distance of broadclyst/pinhoe area.

I'm looking at hitts barton, Newhall (on the waiting list) and wishford livery. Are there any others that are decent and should I avoid any of them? Not DIY though would at the very least need to be assisted DIY.

Looking to buy my horse soon so need to find the right livery yard asap!

Thanks 🙂

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Exciting times!! I'm not local sorry, have you posted on any Facebook local horsey groups asking? You'll get better responses on there than here.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
I haven't lived in the area for about 10 years so may be a bit out of the loop, although I still have friends at livery in the area.

As well as the ones you mention, there's Rollestone Farm and Saundercroft Farm if they're both still going, although the second rarely has spaces. I think there's also a small livery yard in Whimple, but don't know the name of it (there's a posh dressage yard too in the area, if that's your thing). There's a place called Ward Farm near Hitts Barton which does livery but I think it's DIY only. There's also a couple of small yards in the Poltimore area, but I'm afraid I don't know the name of them.

There are several yards on the other side of Exeter, but that may be too far for you.

All of the yards in the area seem to have pros and cons, so you'll probably have to compromise on something - considering how horsey the area is, there is a distinct lack of decent yards around.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
There is a local FB group called "The Nutty Nags" (yes seriously!) and that is the main local horsey group covering the area; quite a lot of the Westcountry in fact. There is also "Equine Exeter" which is another group you may find helpful.

Newhall is what I would call "the posh yard", very "correct", and you will have a lot of facilities there.

Hitts Barton (known as "Pitts" around here!!) - OK so it is a big yard, lots of liveries there and my understanding is that there will be a LOT of people all wanting to use the school........... road access is along some narrow-ish Devon lanes!! The guy running the place apparently makes you sign on the dotted line that you won't claim on them in the event of an accident. I know of an incident where there was an open drainhole and someone's horse got its foot in it, and the resultant vet treatment wasn't cheap, but YO wouldn't accept any responsibility for it. General feeling is that he is a bit of a knob........

One of my liveries went there from mine: she needed more facilities than we could offer here at a small DIY yard with no school or assisted livery. She and daughter were/are apparently very happy and settled there. Like most big yards, there IS a yard Clique - and you have to take it as you find it. I've been over there a couple of times for clinics etc and it did seem to be a clean & tidy yard.

There is a Dressage yard nr to Whimple, nr me in fact. YO is called Andrea. At a place called Strete Raleigh. It is also a B&B (or it was) so if you search for that it may come up. Am not sure what the situation is as regards livery though, don't know whether she takes liveries, you'd need to enquire.

Are you wanting DIY or assisted/full?? There are a few DIY yards dotted around. One is near me and I know the YO but they struggle with providing all-year turnout in the winter months. Sadly there is a dearth of decent places in this area. Ohh there is a lovely place at Lympstone run by a guy called Rob Harding, he is on FB. They may have a space. Think its a DIY yard.

The other option is Bicton College which offers working livery, where your horse would be used by students doing their BHS exams. Mine was there for two years. There are pro's and con's. Please feel free to PM me. There is a charge, think its around £20pw not sure. There is also I believe the option of DIY or full livery. Like I say feel free to PM me. I work at Bicton College but not in the equine unit.

Hope this helps.

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
My old boy was at Bicton College (not used for exams though). Lovely place, great facilities. Although it’s about 25 mins drive from central Exeter.

SilverLinings

Visit site
Sadly there is a dearth of decent places in this area. Ohh there is a lovely place at Lympstone run by a guy called Rob Harding, he is on FB. They may have a space. Think its a DIY yard.

Hope this helps.

This is Wotton farm, the horses have escaped/been let out onto the road (a rat-run lane about 500 yards from a main A road) several times over the years, this is not helped by the fact there is no gate between the stables and the road, and half the stables are right next to the road. It doesn't have a great reputation in the immediate area due to being in very poor repair and some liveries not attending to their horses very well (my parents live very nearby, although I haven't been past the yard myself for about 4 months). The riding isn't bad though, but if you are considering it I would suggest you visit in person and have a VERY thorough look around, and get some kind of written contract laying out exactly what you are paying for.