Any Recommended Cool Coats?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I have two hot black dogs at my feet and it's not as warm today as it was yesterday, gawd knows what they'll be like when the summer comes...(!)

They have cool mats, which they studiously ignore, and I have a Dyson air cleaner fan thing running, which makes it fine for us as a general rule. We live in a tin can so it can get a tad warm. Soon we'll have mains electric and can have the aircon unit up and running (oh happy days!), but in the meantime I'd like to find a way to help them stay a bit cooler.

Oh, we bought them a paddling pool, which they loved - as a tug toy :rolleyes::eek:

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We got the Rotters one each at Bramham one year, Eazidry, they are really good and effective. Mind you they only wear them out and about as I'm not sure they would stand up to rotters dragging each other round by them!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you. I'll go looksee.

We'd not leave them on when we're not around. I still haven't found one of their waterproofs (they both went out with one on each...), though one did keep a bandage on his foot for three days after he rearranged a claw! Totally unexpected. And without a collar as he really doesn't do well with those.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Thank you. I'll go looksee.

We'd not leave them on when we're not around. I still haven't found one of their waterproofs (they both went out with one on each...), though one did keep a bandage on his foot for three days after he rearranged a claw! Totally unexpected. And without a collar as he really doesn't do well with those.
We have used inflatable collars, cos cones and Rotters and human legs do not go well together!!!!

Bellasophia

Visit site
Italy...in summer we go as hot as 40C...my dogs do well with
..very early walks and later,walks after sundown.

in the house..we have tiled floors..
we have a huge fan,at floor height,that the dogs love.

But..”I NEED air conditioning mom”...
5BBFF7A2-2FAE-446E-B606-62F039D94BE0.jpeg
in bedroom,I would love air conditioning,but until we have roof panels,we have a huge fan..my poodle heat stresses a bit,but schnauzer crashes wherever.

when I had my rottie,the only place she was happy was outdoors in the shade.
When we went to Missouri for two years,the snow and winter temps were extreme...this dog would beg to lay on the balcony,until we dragged her inside..coldweather was blissful for her.

Rotties have completely other issues.imo.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
We got one for the late JRT, and it made his last summer much more comfortable. We lost him in the November age 15. I posted a thread about him and his cool coat, though more about the horrified reactions of the horses who didn't recognise him!

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/it’s-not-just-purple-flowers.777543/

His was a Prestige cool coat. It's a sort of faux shammy leather which is hard when dry, but softens up when wet and the cooling effect is highly effective. It is not one of the more readily adjustable makes for sizing, though.

Odyssey

Visit site
I bought a Prestige cool coat too, it's fab. I put it on my dog when we go for walks when it feels sultry in the late evening, and he feels so cool under it. It feels lovely and soft when it's wet. I got the large size for my quite big 34kg greyhound, and it fits well so I'd say the sizes are quite generous. It was considerably cheaper than the Eazidry. It's one of the best things I've ever bought, well worth the £30 odd that it cost.

reddie

Visit site
We got a cool jacket from Pets At home. You soak it in cold water, squeeze it and then put it on the dog. It’s brilliant, kept our pug cool when out