Any riders here with arthritis? Looking for advice...

Munchkin

www.aloegeneration.co.uk and http
I have arthritis in my knees for years and I actually stopped jumping for over a year as the pain almost made me sick.

Interesting to read some of you take a mixture of chondroitin, MSM and glucosamine... we have an aloe based drink that is combined with all three of these and the testimonials coming back from arthritis sufferers are incredible. I don't know if I'm allowed to say what it is called as I may get my wrists slapped for advertising but I do wonder if it's what Donkeymad is using?! Anyway, if anyone wants any information or a video link to a doctor discussing how it works, please PM me (I don't think I can get shouted at for that? But I guess we'll soon find out ;) )

I guess that backs up the diet theory too as aloe, as well as being a natural anti-inflammatory, is highly nutritional.

I also have my mother and my [old] dog on this - mother has now taking up skiing and dog can chase frisbees again without being on three legs for a week afterwards!

On the subject of PM's it seems that those of us who never saved a PM in our lives now have all of them in our sent boxes ... hence having no room in our inboxes...

pocket

Visit site
Well, if I was a horse, i'd be put down or at least not insurable:) I have a bad back, knees, hips and shoulder, but I find that riding helps with my symptoms. I also take glucosamine, codliver oil and calcium supps and find that they help.

Keep riding, the more exercise you do the better you will feel.....honest :)

Weezy

Visit site
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists, fingers and knees quite badly, then now in my lower spine, hips, pelvis :( In a word, I am fcuked and it will only get worse. The damage to my hips/pelvis/spine is because of pregnancy and am looking into surgery to tighten all of the now very loose ligaments, etc, to see if giving the area more support will help. I am now at the McTimoney expert every 2 weeks to try and keep the pain at bay in my right hip, which is really expensive but necessary :( I am completely out of line within a week. TBH I am completely and utterly peed off with it, I am never going to be able to sit straight on a horse again and I am only 35 - ho hum.

Just realised that this is the first time I have actually written about this on here (I think), so that's depressed me even more as it means I have finally accepted it!

soulfull

Visit site
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists, fingers and knees quite badly, then now in my lower spine, hips, pelvis :( In a word, I am fcuked and it will only get worse. The damage to my hips/pelvis/spine is because of pregnancy and am looking into surgery to tighten all of the now very loose ligaments, etc, to see if giving the area more support will help. I am now at the McTimoney expert every 2 weeks to try and keep the pain at bay in my right hip, which is really expensive but necessary :( I am completely out of line within a week. TBH I am completely and utterly peed off with it, I am never going to be able to sit straight on a horse again and I am only 35 - ho hum.

Just realised that this is the first time I have actually written about this on here (I think), so that's depressed me even more as it means I have finally accepted it!

oh hun have a huge hug!!!

I am another Rheumatoid sufferer. I was diagnosed in my mid 20's. Over the years have had lots of joint injections and generally while painful at the time, they have given me a lot of relief. Mine likes to move around a fair bit from shoulders, elbows, hands and knees. Biggest problem now is my lef ankle. I fractured it just over 12 months ago and the arthritis is now so bad that I am waiting for an ankle replacement.
I now walk with a stick but hey I still do unaffil SJ & DR :D:D Did come unstuck on Sat when my young horse took a flyer at the first part of a double and had to run out at the 2nd part, this put way too much pressure on my ankle so I had to jump one last jump and retire:rolleyes:
I pay someone to turnout and muck out twice a week to give me a rest as a lot of my problems are the tiredness/weakness that go with RA

BTW my GP is awesome, whatever I ask for I get. although he has given up on me and just laughs and rolls his eyes. But then I am also on warfarin(blood thinners) and he is scared I will fall and die from a bleed in the brain (his exact words);)

Another vote for slim horse, also not strong in the hand and light off the leg is good too. My last horse was wide, strong and a lazy sod some days. Since having my new slim, light, forward going one I am much better

soulfull

Visit site
One VERY IMPORTANT THING I FOUND!!!

About 18 months ago I had special insoles made for my shoes to help. I cannot begin to explain how much difference these have made to my back and hips/ Which when you think about it is no surprise, we are always quick to make sure our horses have good foot balance and never think of how it affects us too. I used to suffer bad back ache and a very bad hip pain. Both of which completely disappeared until I started walking with a limp from my ankle :p

Most hospitals run this service for those with arthritis or back problems you just have to know its there and ask

Old Bat

Visit site
Hi Dubble, sorry, went to bed early! Psoriatic arthritis is a follow on from psoriasis, it causes muscle and tendon fatigue as well as joint problems....it can flare and fade...triggers include red meat, tomatoes and alcohol, bummer! I'd echo all that has been said on here...be very careful with meat, glucosamine and calcium supplements are all great, and I also use something called Co-enzyme Q10 which aids the liver and helps remove toxins from the system. Breakfast time is a joke with all the pill bottles!!! Grit your teeth and go for it, have fun finding a gentle, narrow pony, (not so far to fall!) and make the most of him/her...I find riding mine is as much of a tonic as the pills! I would recommend homeopathy as well, it has helped cut down the amount of painkillers that I take by half which must be good for the system...

Firewell

Visit site
Ive got artheritis in my hands and feet. It is painful, especially when its cold and can be frustrating but I just ignore it. Ive had it since I was 4 so pretty much used to it now anyway.

I find that to keep on doing things, keeps my joints mobile. For instance I ride everyday and I rarely notice pain in my fingers or feet when riding, however if I was to stop doing the activity I think the pain would get worse as the joints arent being kept mobile and warm by working.

For example. At school and college, uni ect I used to do a lot of writing with a pen. I never noticed my artheritis in my fingers writing. I finished uni and stop using a pen as everything is done on the computer. When I write now it really hurts and my writing can be really wobbly unless I concentrate. I think this is because I hardly write now and my joints arent used to it.

You have to keep riding, the moment you stop is the moment you wont be able to do it anymore.

cariadssogreat

Visit site
Ahhh, so do you think that the cob was perhaps too wide??
My most recent horse was an ex racer, which I thought would be way more unsuitable than a cobby type, but maybe not on reflection...?
I sympathise with the getting out of bed dilemma btw! I have found that my investment in a memory foam mattress has helped enormously, if that's any use.:)

I have to admit when I had sacroilliac and hip problems after a fall, getting on board my wider horses caused great problems - whereas riding narrower sorts and a tb were pain free - so I would stick with something less broad than a cob.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I have arthritis in my knees for years and I actually stopped jumping for over a year as the pain almost made me sick.

Interesting to read some of you take a mixture of chondroitin, MSM and glucosamine... we have an aloe based drink that is combined with all three of these and the testimonials coming back from arthritis sufferers are incredible. I don't know if I'm allowed to say what it is called as I may get my wrists slapped for advertising but I do wonder if it's what Donkeymad is using?! Anyway, if anyone wants any information or a video link to a doctor discussing how it works, please PM me (I don't think I can get shouted at for that? But I guess we'll soon find out ;) )

I guess that backs up the diet theory too as aloe, as well as being a natural anti-inflammatory, is highly nutritional.

I also have my mother and my [old] dog on this - mother has now taking up skiing and dog can chase frisbees again without being on three legs for a week afterwards!

On the subject of PM's it seems that those of us who never saved a PM in our lives now have all of them in our sent boxes ... hence having no room in our inboxes...

I have PM'd you. :)

lochpearl

Visit site
I have it in and around my T12 area (kind of where you fasten your bra) and also 3 prolapsed discs and one disc that has worn away. Apart from the pills from the doc that I try and get by with using only a third unless it's really bad I have been trying Aloe Vera (drinkable) it tastes gross but it has natural anti-inflams and great for arthritis. From being to the chiro twice a week for 4 years, changed to a McTimonney and have my first appointment in 4 months this Fri.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Well, if I was a horse, i'd be put down or at least not insurable:) I have a bad back, knees, hips and shoulder, but I find that riding helps with my symptoms. I also take glucosamine, codliver oil and calcium supps and find that they help.

Keep riding, the more exercise you do the better you will feel.....honest :)

Thanks Pocket. :)

The reason I cut down on riding a few years ago, was because of the aches and pains afterwards just weren't worth it. A couple of hours on horseback had me aching and stiff for days.
I am hoping to build up my core muscles this spring - can't go to physio until the spinal surgery dept have seen me and the MRI scan has been done, but after that I am hoping to really up the exercise, and gert riding again. :)
Out of interest, do you ride a slim horse or a fatty?

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I have rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists, fingers and knees quite badly, then now in my lower spine, hips, pelvis :( In a word, I am ****ed and it will only get worse. The damage to my hips/pelvis/spine is because of pregnancy and am looking into surgery to tighten all of the now very loose ligaments, etc, to see if giving the area more support will help. I am now at the McTimoney expert every 2 weeks to try and keep the pain at bay in my right hip, which is really expensive but necessary :( I am completely out of line within a week. TBH I am completely and utterly peed off with it, I am never going to be able to sit straight on a horse again and I am only 35 - ho hum.

Rheumatoid arthritis is the pits, and I actually feel lucky that I have the osteo version...
I was told years ago that my back and leg pain was probably due to arthritis, and tbh, I didn't really believe it. It is quite a bummer to have it confirmed, and I am dreading the MRI scan as my GP is more concerned about the bone spurs. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes...
Hugs to you. xx

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
One VERY IMPORTANT THING I FOUND!!!

About 18 months ago I had special insoles made for my shoes to help. I cannot begin to explain how much difference these have made to my back and hips/ Which when you think about it is no surprise, we are always quick to make sure our horses have good foot balance and never think of how it affects us too. I used to suffer bad back ache and a very bad hip pain. Both of which completely disappeared until I started walking with a limp from my ankle :p

Most hospitals run this service for those with arthritis or back problems you just have to know its there and ask
Oh thanks for that!
I have some very padded out neoprene wellies which I bought for warmth rather than comfort, but have noticed the difference compared to walking in normal wellies, so I shall ask about that. :)

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Hi Dubble, sorry, went to bed early! Psoriatic arthritis is a follow on from psoriasis, it causes muscle and tendon fatigue as well as joint problems....it can flare and fade...triggers include red meat, tomatoes and alcohol, bummer! I'd echo all that has been said on here...be very careful with meat, glucosamine and calcium supplements are all great, and I also use something called Co-enzyme Q10 which aids the liver and helps remove toxins from the system. Breakfast time is a joke with all the pill bottles!!! Grit your teeth and go for it, have fun finding a gentle, narrow pony, (not so far to fall!) and make the most of him/her...I find riding mine is as much of a tonic as the pills! I would recommend homeopathy as well, it has helped cut down the amount of painkillers that I take by half which must be good for the system...
Sounds awful hun. I had no idea it even existed. :(
Thanks for filling me in, and I really hope you stay happy and healthy for a long while yet. xx

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Ive got artheritis in my hands and feet. It is painful, especially when its cold and can be frustrating but I just ignore it. Ive had it since I was 4 so pretty much used to it now anyway.

I find that to keep on doing things, keeps my joints mobile. For instance I ride everyday and I rarely notice pain in my fingers or feet when riding, however if I was to stop doing the activity I think the pain would get worse as the joints arent being kept mobile and warm by working.

For example. At school and college, uni ect I used to do a lot of writing with a pen. I never noticed my artheritis in my fingers writing. I finished uni and stop using a pen as everything is done on the computer. When I write now it really hurts and my writing can be really wobbly unless I concentrate. I think this is because I hardly write now and my joints arent used to it.

You have to keep riding, the moment you stop is the moment you wont be able to do it anymore.
I cannot believe the ages of some people who have developed it. My son has had it in his feet from the age of about 13 years old, but it's awful to hear the experiences of people who have had it since early childhood.
Totally agree about the exercise, but I also realise that it has to be the correct type of exercise to benefit the area affected, which is probably why the writing helped you.
Thanks so much for your input. :)

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I have to admit when I had sacroilliac and hip problems after a fall, getting on board my wider horses caused great problems - whereas riding narrower sorts and a tb were pain free - so I would stick with something less broad than a cob.
Thankyou. Another vote for a thinny! I better get myself into shape a bit, so that one can carry me without getting arthritis itself... :rolleyes: :eek: :D

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I have it in and around my T12 area (kind of where you fasten your bra) and also 3 prolapsed discs and one disc that has worn away. Apart from the pills from the doc that I try and get by with using only a third unless it's really bad I have been trying Aloe Vera (drinkable) it tastes gross but it has natural anti-inflams and great for arthritis. From being to the chiro twice a week for 4 years, changed to a McTimonney and have my first appointment in 4 months this Fri.
Oooh good luck with your first appointment. Will you let me know how it goes, as I want to look at every option. :)

Crazy Friesian

www.stablepeople.co.nr
I use Cortaflex for my horse and cat. Horse has improved, but realistically what are you going to do about boney changes in the knees for eg.... He is stiff but sound. The cat... another story!!! He has turned into a right pickle! DO NOT leave anything "tasty smelling" within reach! He never used to jump on surfaces etc... now I cant keep him off!!! LOL

Starflower oil is also good for arthritis btw

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Not riding related but just another idea for you.

My grandmother suffered badly from arthritis in her hands & wrists - she found that celery seed tea helped enormously and enabled her to continue as church organist for many years.

I know not all things work for all people but might be worth a try, you get it from the health food shop.

exracerfan

Visit site
Am amazed that no one on here has mentioned magnets. (Think I have read all the posts and not missed any comments). I have worn a Bioflow magnet for over 10years now. Best thing I ever did! Great for horses and dogs too. Not just for arthritus, but for everything, and isnt a drug, so cant do any harm. (Only people with pacemakers should not wear one.) I got to the stage where I could not trot as knees hurt too much. Have never looked back. Am sure if you google it, you will find out all you need to know.

I also only ride narrow, smooth striding flowing thoroughbreds who dont over flex my spine, and have a Heather Moffat seat saver on my saddle - luxury!

jac

New User
Visit site
Hi, first time I've posted on here. I too have arthritis (rheumatoid and osteo) - hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders, lower spine, hip and had always found riding really helped my spine and relieved pain until my right hip went completely and I had to stop riding in November. Had hip replacement 6 weeks ago and have been told I can ride at three months. I have a connemara X who is wide but has also been very comfortable to ride. Has any one any experience of riding again after a hip replacement. I know lots of people do - I just don't know anyone who has. It was very reassuring to read of so many people still carrying on with all the probs arthritis brings.

Vixxy

Visit site
Really sad to hear about that Dubble not nice :( I was diagnosed with arthritis at 15 and told to stop competing in jumping and to take things more easy or I would end up in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. Of course I thought it was all a load of rubbish but of course Mum insisted that my jumping pony became my sisters and bought me a happy hacking cob much to my disgust even if I ended up enjoying it more than I thought, I hated becoming the yard groom at shows though lol.

I am now 31 and have ridden ever since (short breaks to have both my boys), I find in my leg joints and wrists/fingers the worst and living in a very damp climate in the middle of the North Sea on a small island with a cold climate does not help.

Due to this and other illness issues when we had more horses we had a groom to help with mucking, feeding and riding. Now we just have 2 and we do them ourselves. Husband is great with me and I have learnt to listen to my body, in the early days I would push it too hard and pay for it later. These days I do what I can when I can, I am very glad my mum slowed me down. I do sometimes wonder what condition I would be in had I continued jumping both my own pony plus the others I rode for owners.

It will not stop me owning, as it gets worse I adapt and my horse Ollie has loved time off since riding became more painful at the end of November (it is the first winter I have had to do this). I am looking forward to spring and getting back into the saddle and getting riding again not sure how he will ike that lol.

I think listening to your body is the key and not being too stubborn or you will pay for it later.

Vixxy

Visit site
I forgot to add hot tubs and swimming after riding is so good for me, I also have muscle complications with my immune system. I have always coped with the pain by swimming, nsaids and a different arthritis medication Arthrotec. It is such a great excuse for a hot tub or jaquzzi bath at home, I am now pushing for a indoor pool but of course that will take some saving first ;)

Blaise

Visit site
Has been very interesting reading some of the tips on this thread. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which is part of the rheumatic family. It affects my lower spine mostly at the moment but is working it's way into my neck after an injury falling off my old horse head first. It also affects my knees, fingers, shoulders and elbows at the moment, in varying degrees. It causes sciatica in my lower back which is one of the worse bits. Was told to give up riding but as with everyone else, thats just not going to happen. My horses are the only things that get me out of bed some mornings. I also found riding big, wide horses hurts and had to sell my ID gelding last year. Currently have a TB mare and an Appy x TB mare ( who i'm backing at the moment :D never did ask Dr if this would be a good idea...) I found slimmer horses much easier to ride and hoping to event Gem (the TB) this year if she's sensible enough. I'll fight my condition until it is physically impossible for me to do it anymore as i've always been a stubborn buggar & wont back down :D Sometimes on bad days i've wondered how others with arthritic/rheumatic conditions cope with horses so it's very helpful to hear from others in a similar boat.

catdragon

Visit site
I think listening to your body is the key and not being too stubborn or you will pay for it later.

^^^ Totally agree with this. I find some days mucking out takes forever, I am on livery MOnday to Friday and DIY at the weekends. So I just go at my pace. I barely ride over the winter, just now and again after taking ibuprofen. I find I do have to push myself to ride when its cold and/or damp but if I am feeling REALLY sore I don't bother. Thick gloves (like Toggi's double fleece ones) are a God send for my fingers which will lock if too cold and go "weak" so I have zero grip. I have lived with it since I was 10, I find I am not so supple, but I do as much as I want to do without hurting me or my accomodating cob.

Also, my saddle has a latex padded seat, its SO comfortable and doesn't aggravate my spine as much.

I am SO looking forward to some warm dryer weather for my poor sore joints now !!