Any secret tips on detangling/polishing products? Not £££

tobiano1984

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone had any secrets! I've been using the Show Ready/Mane-ly Long Hair stuff and love it, but I got it (detangler, shampoo and conditioner) with a discount code initially and when I went to reorder I couldn't believe that the lovely detangler/polisher was £27.99 for a small bottle :-o I really can't justify it. I don't know why horse products are so expensive, so wondered if there are any human equivalents anyone uses? Frizz Ease?! One of my liveries uses something designed for afro hair, I couldn't find it online - a polisher sort of thing, makes her mare's mane lovely and shiny!

I used the detangler/polisher for all of mine on a weekly basis, but found it particularly good for my Irish chap's ridiculous mohawk. Regular applications were taming it gradually...So has anyone tried human products on wild manes and for general maintenance of manes and tails?? I've used the Touch of Silver shampoo for my greys/coloureds and it worked as well as the much more expensive horse equivalent.

calliemae

Visit site
I find that dry shampoo is really good for my highlands wild mane. Gold Label Mane & Tail Shampoo is also good and it is not to expensive ( £3.99 for a 500ml bottle)

Touch of silver or frizz ease is the best.

Damnation

Visit site
Furniture polish for detangling manes and tails.

I use baby shampoo for all over washing then a cheap conditioner for the tail (only on the hair, not as far up as the dock) and then furniture polish for daily detangling :D

Annagain

Visit site
Go to your local pound shop and buy some kids detangling spray, they usually have some. At mine, it's £1 (obvs) for about 150ml. Much cheaper than even Robinsons (which is good and cheap compared to other brands) which is about £9 for 500ml. If the pound shop doesn't have any, you can still get it fairly cheaply in Superdrug or Boots. Just don't make the same mistake I made and get the apple scented. Poor boy had his mane chewed!

pec

Visit site
We buy peasridge champion shine (google peasridge) the website now looks like clippers only but if you search animal prodocts you will find it for £29 for 5 litres, we cannot tell the difference between this and show sheen and as normal if for ridden avoid the saddle, it is basically silicon polish. Thealso sell whal shampoos for about £25 for 5 litres.

MagicMelon

Visit site
After shampooing I use human conditioner. Works a treat on mine.

Same here. I wash usually with the supermarkets own brand shampoo (usually about 99p I think, current one is mint and tea tree) then follow up the mane (if not plaiting) and tail with the same brand conditioner. I never buy horse shampoo and I have a WHITE horse ;) I also comb baby oil through the tail for shine. Ive had a bottle of Supreme Products Sparkle which I won years ago, but its lasted forever - only a tiny spray goes a long way and does make the tail really polished.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Same here. I wash usually with the supermarkets own brand shampoo (usually about 99p I think, current one is mint and tea tree) then follow up the mane (if not plaiting) and tail with the same brand conditioner. I never buy horse shampoo and I have a WHITE horse ;) I also comb baby oil through the tail for shine. Ive had a bottle of Supreme Products Sparkle which I won years ago, but its lasted forever - only a tiny spray goes a long way and does make the tail really polished.

I also really love the supreme products sparkle spray it can be used on the coat and mane and tail it's great stuff and a little goes a long way, I have Arabs with tails that drag on the floor and although they live in tail bags they do get tangled and this stuff is great, I also use the barrier mane and tail spray for everyday it's a cheaper than the supreme products but still very good.

luckyoldme

Visit site
brilliant thread, my newly aquired youngster has a massive tail compared to my old horse so im new to the world of thick tails, and white horses. thanks everyone!