Any standardbred experts?

paddi22

Visit site
Just got a standardbred horse in retraining for our charity, it was taken from the pound. Horse is absolutely gorgeous with lovely temperament. Sire is Sable Matters, anyone have info about this line? Im clueless at standard bred breeding stuff?

paddi22

Visit site
it's a tricky one, because it was a horse that was confiscated and taken to the pound I am just a bit cautious of using Facebook as it's too easy to track people down on! I wasn't aware there was a standardbred Facebook page, so thanks a mil, I'll go and have a nosey on it!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Google his name and standardbred and it comes up as a Facebook post in the list.

Nice looking horse :)

paddi22

Visit site
ah cool. yeah the horse that came in looks like it will be a stunner, just looks like it has quality in it. it's so strange the way they just take a wrong turn and end up in the wrong hands

ycbm

Visit site
I have half a standardbred already and I'd take another like a shot ... let me know if you need a home for it!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Sable Matters has bred some seriously useful horses :) We had standies for about 15 years but have gone back to showjumping these days :) All of ours went on to "useful" jobs after racing. They make great endurance horses - will "jog" for hours at a consistent pace and are tough as you like. But they often have a good jump and once they learn that more speed doesn't mean pace can turn their hooves to all sorts.
People forget that if you go back far enough they're pretty much a TB ;-) just been bred over the years to pace instead of gallop.

paddi22

Visit site
they seem like amazing horses. I retrain them to be eventers and so far they have all been amazing horses; beautiful personalities, very kind, very good work attitude, very brave, super jump and so athletic and clever. on top of that they are all barefoot, live on air and are never sick or lame a day in their lives from what I've seen so far. The charity is really doing a push now to focus on retraining them. we usually get a lot of the lower end sulkies racers in bad condition, but this mare has been well cared for and doesn't look like she raced, so they must have just got her very recently. I haven't a clue how she ended up in the place she did.

yeah this sable mare is the absolute image of the dad and has a super temperament. dying to get her going and see what she is like!

paddi22

Visit site
The most interesting thing about them for me is how they are so focused in what you are asking them and how quick their brains work. they just seem to know they are there to do a job and are so professional in their attitude. Even when they are not sure of ditches or their first time at water etc, you know they will figure it out and try and get across. They don't seem to have the 'no' or backward thinking that a lot young horses have.

Is it because (the lower end sulkies) are just literally battered to go forward from the start? so they just aren't even given the option to say no or go around? and is the clever thinking just because they have to deal with high speeds at such a young age, so they just have to think faster? and how come they can all jump so well? is it just power bred into the hind end? the little sulky I am jumping at the moment bodywise looks like she shouldn't be a jumper, but she's a little star at it.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Sadly I think many people think trotter = road racing, and don't realise that over here it's mostly pacers and that they race under rules as despite the best efforts of the team at BHRC and STAGBI it doesn't get much recognition outside of S4C :(

Can't say that we ever had to batter any to go forwards - for us the breaking process was similar to what we do for saddle horses up to the getting on part, where they would then go in the cart as opposed to a saddle on - so groundwork, long lining, etc. Installing steering could occasionally be interesting - after all once you're in the cart there's no inside/outside leg to help you for instance so you're reliant on voice commands and the reins :D At home we would rarely if ever drive with a whip - you have to when racing - and if anyone had mic'd us up you would have heard a variety of vocal encouragements used to speed up from "get along" to blowing kisses.

They often start with full blinkers, then go to half's / can't see backs or even an open bridle depending on how reactive they are, so may just be used to trusting that what you're telling them to do is safe to do?

A lot of people will break them to ride at the same time - if you look at some of the older generation especially in Wales I know of quite a few that spent the off season as hunters.
They have a great work ethic though - one of ours would literally bridle herself if you held her bridle in front of her, she's now a much loved happy hacker.

paddi22

Visit site
yeah the work ethic is just staggering to me. One fairly green mare was doing a course with a kid on a really bad weather day and had come around a corner towards a triple combination and a blue barrel just suddenly blew across the arena. the mare just jumped the barrel as it went past her and kept on to do the combination. it was incredible to watch!

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I have nothing useful to add but I have a Standardbred X and this chat has made me so excited to crack on with him next year. He was backed this summer and is now wintering off but he has that same work ethic you've all mentioned. Bit of a bull in a china shop - would rather 'do' first and think second but he's just awesome. Lovely horses.

ycbm

Visit site
My half bred has picked up his mother's temperament, he is every bit what people are describing. Paddy if the mare is to be rehomed/sold and is 15.2 or bigger I would definitely be interested in her. Please PM me when she's available if you think I'm a suitable home. No worries if not.

paddi22

Visit site
just measured here there and she's barely scraping 15hh :(
she's 13 as well, so no chance of a few extra inches coming unfortunately. I'll keep an eye out for any more that come in!