Any success with turmeric?

chesnutcraze

Visit site
Does anybody use turmeric as a supplement with any success? I’m not looking for an expensive joint supplement as there’s nothing wrong, just something that will keep a horse living out 24/7 comfortable while not in much work this winter, as he’s started to get a tad stiff in the cold weather.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I feed it to my 26 yr old. Without an untreated control nobody can say for sure, but in his case he certainly leaves behind the horses which are half his age and twice his size! He only gets ridden once a week or so, now, but that's due to my time constraints, rather than his health!

MonkeyTheNF

Visit site
Really helps my older loan pony (20yrs) and does wonders for their coat and skin but everything depends on the individual horse.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I was advised that if feeding Turmeric, you need to get the "chemistry" right, as it apparently works best if combined with two other ingredients namely an "oil" and freshly ground black pepper. Don't ask me to explain the science!! But apparently this is the case.

I fed ONE scoop of tumeric to THREE micronised linseed oil scoops and 5-to-6 twists of the black pepper. This per feed. I was a member of the Turmeric Users Group on FB and a horsey person on there dumbed it down for me on what to feed, and how.

The Turmeric Users FB group is a good source of information; BUT some of the stuff on there is a bit heartbreaking - IMO a lot of people go on there as a "last resort" basis and it used to upset me that some of the cases on there frankly needed the owner to start being compassionate instead of sentimental and taking their pet to the vet on a one-way journey, period.

But you may find it helpful...........

Pinkvboots

Visit site
You can buy it already mixed a few brands do it now but it is more expensive, just a warning it can upset the gut I tried it for one of mine and it didn't agree with him so I stopped feeling it.

chesnutcraze

Visit site
I was advised that if feeding Turmeric, you need to get the "chemistry" right, as it apparently works best if combined with two other ingredients namely an "oil" and freshly ground black pepper. Don't ask me to explain the science!! But apparently this is the case.

I fed ONE scoop of tumeric to THREE micronised linseed oil scoops and 5-to-6 twists of the black pepper. This per feed. I was a member of the Turmeric Users Group on FB and a horsey person on there dumbed it down for me on what to feed, and how.

The Turmeric Users FB group is a good source of information; BUT some of the stuff on there is a bit heartbreaking - IMO a lot of people go on there as a "last resort" basis and it used to upset me that some of the cases on there frankly needed the owner to start being compassionate instead of sentimental and taking their pet to the vet on a one-way journey, period.

But you may find it helpful...........

I was looking at the global herbs turmeric which has pre added black pepper, or does it need to be added ‘fresh’?

Shady

Visit site
As people have said previously, you need to feed all the ingredients required to get the most out of it. I get mind from Linda at Totally Tumeric.
Have just looked at their site and that is an amazing curcumin % in their turmeric. The higher the % the better the anti inflammatory affect. I have asked them for a quote for France. Hope they can deliver. I'm using one from Casiah which is 5.8%, it's also organic but i'd like to try that one from TT .
I have had excellent results from using it on my arthritic horse and i give the other a dose as well and he's moving beautifully at 17.
Start with a small amount and work up to 1 big tablespoon per day. It will not work properly unless you add the fresh pepper and oil, it will just pass through the gut and do nothing as it has very low bio availability.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
As people have said previously, you need to feed all the ingredients required to get the most out of it. I get mind from Linda at Totally Tumeric.

Hi all, I am looking into Totally Turmeric too. I've red this

I've red research from scientists who have done tests with Tumeric,

"These authors found a 20-27 per cent decrease in glycosaminoglycan (GAG) release from the cartilage when joint cells were exposed to 100μmol/L, suggesting less cartilage breakdown had occurred, while no effect was seen at a 10μmol/L dose. For a 500kg horse, with about 38L of blood, and assuming the synovial fluid around the joint would reach the same concentration of curcumin that would be in the blood, 60 per cent absorption of curcumin and two per cent curcumin in turmeric, it would take feeding the horse 113g of turmeric to reach similar concentrations. "

I am looking at buying pure turmeric powder (from totally turmeric) with 9% curcumin and start feeding 20g a day (10g twice a day) with 7 grinds of black pepper and their micronised linseed they already get. 9% curcumin is to high for humans I've red and most the human body wastes, but looking at research horses are much bigger and need more..

How much do you feed a day The Trooper?

The Trooper

Visit site
Hi all, I am looking into Totally Turmeric too. I've red this

I've red research from scientists who have done tests with Tumeric,

"These authors found a 20-27 per cent decrease in glycosaminoglycan (GAG) release from the cartilage when joint cells were exposed to 100μmol/L, suggesting less cartilage breakdown had occurred, while no effect was seen at a 10μmol/L dose. For a 500kg horse, with about 38L of blood, and assuming the synovial fluid around the joint would reach the same concentration of curcumin that would be in the blood, 60 per cent absorption of curcumin and two per cent curcumin in turmeric, it would take feeding the horse 113g of turmeric to reach similar concentrations. "

I am looking at buying pure turmeric powder (from totally turmeric) with 9% curcumin and start feeding 20g a day (10g twice a day) with 7 grinds of black pepper and their micronised linseed they already get. 9% curcumin is to high for humans I've red and most the human body wastes, but looking at research horses are much bigger and need more..

How much do you feed a day The Trooper?

I'm not sure what is most beneficial to feed but it comes with a scoop and instructions on how much and how often to feed, i'm not yet feeding mine twice a day so i'm just giving them each 1 large scoop per day with their feeds.

I think it would normally be a scoop morning and a scoop evening but i'm not certain i'm afraid. I'm at work at the moment and as such cannot access TT's website, fortunately i can still get on here though.

Linda is extremely helpful as well, and competitively priced which is always nice in the Equestrian world :D

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I'm not sure what is most beneficial to feed but it comes with a scoop and instructions on how much and how often to feed, i'm not yet feeding mine twice a day so i'm just giving them each 1 large scoop per day with their feeds.

I think it would normally be a scoop morning and a scoop evening but i'm not certain i'm afraid. I'm at work at the moment and as such cannot access TT's website, fortunately i can still get on here though.

Linda is extremely helpful as well, and competitively priced which is always nice in the Equestrian world :D

Thank you - I spoke to Linda today and have bought the Turmeric and pepper mix for £17 inc. postage for 2kg. I did nearly buy it separately but the thought of grinding pepper after work late on a evening is the last thing I want to do. She informed me they make the mix to order and it should last 3 months then the pepper will work less as it isn't as fresh, but I will hopefully use it up within 2 months.

Shady

Visit site
Thank you - I spoke to Linda today and have bought the Turmeric and pepper mix for £17 inc. postage for 2kg. I did nearly buy it separately but the thought of grinding pepper after work late on a evening is the last thing I want to do. She informed me they make the mix to order and it should last 3 months then the pepper will work less as it isn't as fresh, but I will hopefully use it up within 2 months.
Iv'e been really impressed so far with her promptness getting back to me last night , really helpful and has offered a good deal as i live here and postage is high. I'm going to order 10kg to last the winter.