Any such thing as a "tough" TB??

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Loan horse going back to her owners soon so I'm on the hunt for a basic, easy going happy hacker to do the odd fun ride etc.
I have a very limited budget so I keep being offered TBs.
The problem I have is that I'm very tall with long legs and although I'm currently losing weight I will never be much under 12 and a half stone as I look ridiculous.
Can a TB ever be a weight carrying, living out, tough type? Or is it a definite no-no?

HorseyTee

Visit site
Our TB lives out (although is rugged and has access to a field shelter). My partner is the one who rides him, and he is 6ft and very lanky and about 11 stone. The horse carries him just fine, pops the occasional jump and goes for the occasional gallop about the fields with him no problem.
He is 16.1 so not particularly massive either, and nearly 18 years old.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've thought about cob types but past experience hasn't been great as I find them on the short side and not much horse in front?
I have seen the odd 15.2 Sec D or cob that's caught my eye but I generally feel happier on 16.2-17hh ideally.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I've got no issues with rugging up and feeding etc. There is a large field shelter too. Loan horse is a TB X Cob who is more TB shape but more bone. She's done fine with me at whatever weight I am at the moment (not weighed myself lately but I know I'm over 14st just now).

mavandkaz

Visit site
Yes they do exist.
My boy is 16.1ish, but very short coupled (can fit a 6" rug in length, but needs 6.3" to fit ' around' him)
I bought him as he was so good to hack, but has turned into a dressage diva. He also has a great pop in him and I'm slowly building up my confidence over jumps.
He is fairly hardy, and is quite a warm horse. His thickest turn out rug is 300gm but it only goes on in the snow as he gets too hot (he is fully clipped). Never sick or sorry, doesn't think he is dieing if he hurts himself.
I am no lightweight (diet kicks off on Monday!) and he manages fine.LEP_2409-(ZF-9992-84995-1-001).jpg

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Wow, what a fab pair you make, he's beautiful 😍
Yes they do exist.
My boy is 16.1ish, but very short coupled (can fit a 6" rug in length, but needs 6.3" to fit ' around' him)
I bought him as he was so good to hack, but has turned into a dressage diva. He also has a great pop in him and I'm slowly building up my confidence over jumps.
He is fairly hardy, and is quite a warm horse. His thickest turn out rug is 300gm but it only goes on in the snow as he gets too hot (he is fully clipped). Never sick or sorry, doesn't think he is dieing if he hurts himself.
I am no lightweight (diet kicks off on Monday!) and he manages fine.View attachment 28700

pippixox

Visit site
There is such a range of TBs and you can get a bargain if you look carefully!

I have an ex racer who has been living out now for years. When he was younger my dad happily hacked him (he’s now retired). He loves being out and I think plenty of TBs are calmer the more they are out (although he bless him was calm as a race horse to handle, as well as being a winning ride)

I would be cautious but not put off

Also in training race horses do gallops with riders weighing 12 stone, not all jockeys.

Visit site
Defos! You can easily keep a tb on quite low maintenance with a bit of time! I had one live out on the side of a Scottish hill for 2 years, before that he was on flat land but he lived out 24/7/356 with a decent rug, a big bale of hay to munch on and food. The first winter was the hardest and he came out of it a bit lean but by the 2nd winter he had figured out how to grow a coat to rival a shetlands and he was happy as larry! 7 years he lived like this, totally barefoot and he had never been happier. I lost him to a stupid field accident. Although he was only 15.1hh he was stocky, with good thick legs on him so would easily have carried 12stone not a problem.

Email local racing yards and state your interest and give a few details of what you want. If someone has one they will let you know and if not they will keep you in mind if one does come up. Some flat horses can be solid and big as well btw. We had a 3yo filly who was a good 17.1hh, big deep and solid with legs thicker than I have ever seen and she was 100% American dirt bred!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve got one living out at the moment. No shoes, he’s fed 2 a day and has stacks of hay but us doing fine.
We admittedly have had a decent winter so far.
I work on a yard with TB’s and we always have some wintering out.
I’ve also got a cobbier type who’s cost me a fortune in vets fees!

claret09

Visit site
don't forget that almost all TB's lived out all year round as babies - they are much "tougher" than a lot of people give them credit for. Most TB broodmares even really high quality ones live out with no rugs

Umbongo

Visit site
Yup! I used to work on a NH yard in Gloucestershire where the owners bred TBs and raced as a hobby. They were all tall and chunky, lived out most of the year, and also hunted. The yard also kept youngsters, broodmares and retired NH horses all out un-rugged in all seasons with just grass and hay in the winter, they always looked fab.....they just need to be roughed off carefully.