Any suggestions on finding bigger bits?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
My Suffolk has a 7" hanging cheek, French link snaffle which he goes well in. The first day I put it on him I knew it was only just big enough; there wasn't enough spare at either end beyond his lips. Yesterday I noticed a slight sore patch on a corner of his mouth, not where the hanging cheek part of the bit would rest but slightly above.

I've picked up some bit lozenges but part of me fears this might make it worse by further reducing the space available - would you fit them anyway as a short term measure to prevent any injury or could this make things worse?

The main part of my post is, can you think of anywhere I can find a 7 1/2" or 7 1/4" snaffle bit? I've emailed the bit bank and waiting to hear back. I've called Blue Horse Equine and they can only do it as a special order. Is there anywhere else I should try before I get one made?

Thanks.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Could you not just put bit guards on? They're only about 50p from most tack shops.

its an option and I've got some (someone else on the yard was heading to tack shop so I gave them £2 and asked them to pick me some up while there) but I haven't used them since I was a kid so I couldn't remember how wide they were or if they might make it more uncomfortable for him by further reducing the available space at each side.

TandD

Visit site
Bomber bits will make them bigger, I got a 7" made! Think they will go up to 185mm.

I found though that once I got the right mouth piece - the happy tongue style - I could actually reduce the mouth piece size by an inch as her tongue had room and wasn't bulging into her lips creating a false measurement!

So the 7" was useless in the end :I!!

chaps89

Visit site
There's a lady on one of the Facebook pages (maybe equestrian bulk buy?) Who has a massive collection of 2nd hand bits she sells - maybe worth trying to find her and see what she might have on the off chance?

Snowfilly

Visit site
Blue horse equine for big heavies - my Clyde had his two specially made by them and so did my shire. I know it's special order but they only took about a week for a 7.5 loose ring snaffle, and then it was a fortnight for same size jointed eggbut. The super shire was 7.25 Mullen with loose rings and that was easy enough. That was after literally weeks of traipsing around shops and phoning companies!

If you don't mind import, some of the American draft sites have huge bits for their Belgian drafts - I once saw an 8 inch Liverpool off the peg, not specially made! My draft horse dot com made me some giant harness and were super easy to deal with.

There's also the Big Horse Shop, who I think do bits?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
quick update...not really any luck so far.

The Bit Bank and Blue Horse Equine can both order one specially (around £85 to £90). No luck with the Big Horse Shop, My Draft Horse dot com and I spent a lot of time on Facebook but not got anywhere yet. The good news is that Bit World have emailed me back to say they have a new supplier and will be getting a first delivery today. They spoke to their supplier about my enquiry and they think their 7" will work because it measures closer to 7.25. Bit World are going to get in touch when they've got one in their hands and can measure it for me.

If I find nothing today then I'll get one special ordered and re-measure when I pop to the stables later.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Bit World have come to the rescue. Their new supplier's 7" bit measures pretty much 7 1/2" (they sent a photo confirming) and is very reasonably priced so it will be in the post tomorrow.