Any suggestions on how to deal with separation issues?

porkpie

Visit site
My friend has two lovely mares who, when taken to a competition etc together, are a complete pain - when separated to go and do their respective classes they shout and bawl at each other and are generally a bit of a nightmare.

The younger of the two does knuckle down and get on with the job once in the arena, but the older one still shouts and frets.

When taken out on their own they are relaxed and quite happy. They live together with a small Welshie for company so do spend most of their time together at home.

As you can imagine, this is causing problems as the issue at shows does not seem to be improving and is ruining valuable time out at comps which should be being used for the big event they are being aimed for later in the year.

Can anyone make any suggestions about how one might best deal with this? Thanks very much.

Johnny999

Visit site
Not any easy one to overcome.
I've been travelling a 7yo for a couple of years for a pro. Used to be a nightmare. Would befriend any travelling companion and bronc and scream in the lorry when left. In the early days he would call during dressage and show jumping too. He's now much better. Some of thats experience..he's been out a lot. Also he moves stable and fields regularly so doesn't get the chance to build up a bond.
My other experience is with my own. Was known to have massive separation issues before I got him. Is normally like sitting on an atomic bomb at a show. Regularly naps to the warm up arena or lorry park and screams his head off for the first half a mile if you hack him alone. That said, going out training or to a smaller competition every fortnight is slowly working. Also trying to turn him out with friends he is less friendly with.(group turnout only on this yard). It is slow progress and I guess this one is unlikely ever to be a dope on a rope but there is a notable improvement...even managed a couple of rosettes on the best days.
So I guess mix the bond up with it's best friend and keep taking them out. Park at the furthest point when out and as long as injury isn't a risk. Leave it with plenty of hay and let it scream. It'll learn in the end.
Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any quick fixes.