any suggestions?

moocow

Visit site
My mare has a rash on her side. its just a bumpy rash just under the skil. It dosn't bother her at all and she has had it for as long as I have had her.

i noticed last night thought that they are little scabs on the bumps. The bumps are hard and there doens't seem to be anything in them. She hasn't lost any hair from the area and the scabs are not deep - just look a bit like a squeezed spot!

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about what it might be? Its not itchy, its not sore its just really bumpy!

moocow

Visit site
don't think so as she had it last year all summer and has been rugged all winter and it is still there.
confused.gif

Tia

Visit site
Okay; well if it isn't that then it could be an allergic reaction to something (feedstuff??) or urticaria which is nettlerash.

moocow

Visit site
Feed wise, don't think so cos when I got her she had it and she was just on grass with no hard feed - it was the summer and she has continued to have it through the winter.

We thought it was nettle rash but would that not have gone away?

thanks for your suggestions

Tempi

Visit site
if she had it all last summer why didnt you do something about it then? Not meaning to sound harsh here, but i wouldnt leave a rash on my mare unattended all summer, and then over the winter aswell..........

Id get your vet out to do a skin scraping and put her on something like Feedmarks Equidermus for a couple of months to sort her skin out.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
don't think so as she had it last year all summer and has been rugged all winter and it is still there.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
For whatever reason this seems to be the new 'thing' for horses in the last 18 months. We have a mare who is very, very prone these. The only thing we found to clear them up was 1% steroid cream applied daily to affected areas.

wanderer

Visit site
if this is an ongoing thing that is worrying you you should call your vet out rather than play guessing games, a phone call away and your mind at rest.
could be nothing but you will have piece of mind.

moocow

Visit site
When I say last summer I mean when I first saw her which was actually sept. I didn't buy her or see her again until Feb of this year. There is no real scabby on it just noticed one of two of the bumps had a piece of dead skin on it, no hair loss, no discomfort, no itchiness. It looks just like bumpy skin! her coat is fine and sleak on the area. she was no bother to clip and that was when I saw that the rash was still there. you couldn't see it when she had her winter coat on the area. I wouldn't dream of leaving a horse or any animal for that matter with any condition that was affecting her/him.

its just there and i was wondering if anyone knew what it might be.