Any Tail Guard users around? Need your opinions please!

Spilletta

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a tail guard for my horse when she travels, but have no experience of them, and would be really grateful for any recommendations/ones to avoid, etc.

Is it a case of getting what you pay for, or are you paying for the name in some cases?

These are some I've seen online so far...

Countrywide Kadence Neoprene Tail Guard £9.99
Zilco Padded Tail Wrap £5.95
Woof Wear Tail Guard £18.95
Acavallo Gel Tail Bandage £20.95

Typically, I like the most expensive one best! But think the Kadence one could be ok?

Aside from the tail guard, is there any other protection I should consider apart from boots? I think I'm going with the 'no boots' option to keep legs cool.

Thank you from a very inexperienced traveller!

asmp

Visit site
I've given up tail guards as my horse leans on his bum and they often fall down (neoprene and material ones). The last one I used had Velcro straps and I found the edges of the Velcro had rubbed his hindquarters raw

fiwen30

Visit site
I think the tail guard I use is a no-brand one! It's a simple, padded fabric one, with strechy velcro straps; it goes great around my mare's bushy cob tail with no slipping. I wouldn't pay more that around £12, if I had to replace it tbh. Not sure about the boots, my mare won't tolerate them, but she travels in a lightweight waffle cooler when she's clipped, or coming home warm.

Mrs G

Visit site
I'm not an experienced traveller but have done it a few times and bought lots of kit for it which means I now have lot of kit I now know not to bother with! I do use travel boots but only on the front, brushing boots or turnout boots on the back or he kicks for the whole journey! I always use overreach boots even with the travel boots. Tail guard I have is a cheap make, neoprene with Velcro straps but it's never fallen down, it did have a tail bag attached - had to cut that off - horsey did NOT like the rustling. I also always put a cooler on him: protection from minor scrapes and stops him getting a chill if it's either a bit cold and/or he sweats.

Last edited:

flaxen

Visit site
I have a mark todd tail guard with detachable bag. Ive always travelled with tail bandage and tailguard with bag and never had an issue with one rubbing or slipping down. I lent my old one to a friend and never saw it again so got a new one off equestrian clearance for 7.99 or something. There is postage but I got a new coat amd body warmer too.

My horses wear everything when travelling, if shod they wear over reach boots all round, full length travel boots, poll guard, tail bandage and tail guard and rug or rugs ( number and type dependant on weather ).

Last edited:

flurryjuno

Visit site
Acavallo gel tail wrap! Only one that stays on my mare as she 'sits' in the trailer and rubs herself raw no matter what she has on. I've had my current one for a year of good use and only now am I thinking of replacing it, could get more uses out of it though. Plus stick it in the washing machine and its instantly sticky again :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a tail guard for my horse when she travels, but have no experience of them, and would be really grateful for any recommendations/ones to avoid, etc.

Is it a case of getting what you pay for, or are you paying for the name in some cases?

These are some I've seen online so far...

Countrywide Kadence Neoprene Tail Guard £9.99
Zilco Padded Tail Wrap £5.95
Woof Wear Tail Guard £18.95
Acavallo Gel Tail Bandage £20.95

Typically, I like the most expensive one best! But think the Kadence one could be ok?

Aside from the tail guard, is there any other protection I should consider apart from boots? I think I'm going with the 'no boots' option to keep legs cool.

Thank you from a very inexperienced traveller!

never travel without one

eggs

Visit site
Depending on the horse I either use a cheapo padded cotton with Velcro wrap around straps or a tail bandage with a good old fashioned Melton wrap around tail guard with fabric straps and then a long strap that goes from the top of the guard to a surcingle which it is tied to

gunnergundog

Visit site
.... or a tail bandage with a good old fashioned Melton wrap around tail guard with fabric straps and then a long strap that goes from the top of the guard to a surcingle which it is tied to

A good old-fashioned style tail guard that won't fall down! :D

JustKickOn

Visit site
Brushing boots and over reach on front legs, or bandages if I have time. No boots of the back as it makes her kicking even worse. Bandage the tail, the wraps never seem to stay up regardless of how they're fastened!

Jo1987

Visit site
I have a premier equine one, I think they're about £10 and mine has never moved. It's a nice padded cotton one with elastic Velcro straps.

Snozzo

Visit site
Another vote for the Acavello Gel tail bandage .. My horse also sits on his bum when travelling and its the only thing ive found that stays up, otherwise he rubs his tail raw

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I travel Sunny with fleece travel rug (or her HW stable rug in winter if very cold) with travel boots on all four, as well as over reach on front hooves, and then a Roma tail bandage followed by a Kadence
tail guard.

LottieAdams

Visit site
From my experience, it's worth paying for a good one. I had a shires one for quite cheap but all the soft Velcro outer came off the rubber inner with the first wash!! I now have a professionals choice one which is really easy to put on and sticks really well, the only horse I have had problems with it slipping down has also tried many others aswell wich are meant to be amazing that slip too, I just ended up putting a tail bandage underneath. Hope this helps!!

npage123

Visit site
I don't really travel anywhere with my horse any more (only to Vet if necessary), but would always use these:

Tail bandage with Prolite Tail Guard over it http://www.prolitepads.com/bridle-roller-and-travel/19-tail-guard - it's excellent quality, have bought it when I bought my horse and it's still as good as new 12 years later
Poll guard http://www.ejeffries.co.uk/p/poll-guard-skull-pattern-with-holes-for-ears - very expensive but superior quality and to me essential (used with a good quality leather headcollar)
Woof Wear Travel Boots http://www.woofwear.com/for-horses/travel-boots_blacksilver---full-size.html - also excellent quality and retains it's shape even after washing in machine after each use

Rug use depends on the weather at the time - either a fleece or cooler

I would also always take a massive haynet and water container plus bowl, first aid kit, extra rugs depending on weather.

CPayne

Visit site
Another vote for Woof Wear one. My first lasted 10 years and I only replaced it as the neoprene had definitely squashed over the years with horse who sits on his tail whilst travelling.

Cragrat

Visit site
I tried EVERY type of tail bandage / guard out there, and the delicate (feeble) TB always ended up with a rubbed tail, even if they stayed in place.
I eventually tried a gel bandage, and it is brilliant. It always stays in place, and he doesn't get rubs.

NU ABO

Visit site
I almost always use a tail bandage with Shires neoprene tail guard and bag, because he has a beautiful white tail but almost always poops in the trailer on our way to shows so without the bag his beautiful white tail becomes a beautiful brown tail!
I sometimes use just the tail guard if we're in a rush for any reason and it's never rubbed or slipped so I'm very pleased with it so far.