Any tips for cantering on the right leg?

horseyhazel

Visit site
We have had our pony, Neddy, for 7 years now and we still can't get him to canter on the right leg in a clockwise direction. He is fine going anti-clockwise and goes on the right leg everytime but he just won't do it on the other leg! We have tried several things which our horsey friends have suggested: putting our leg behind the girth before going into canter to encourage him to strike off with the right leg, trotting on the wrong diagonal before canter, doing lots of work on the right rein and bending him round tight corners but none of it seems to work very well. Occasionally he does go on the correct leg on the right rein and when he does we give him lots of praise so he knows he is doing it right. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

SpringArising

Visit site
We have had our pony, Neddy, for 7 years now and we still can't get him to canter on the right leg in a clockwise direction. He is fine going anti-clockwise and goes on the right leg everytime but he just won't do it on the other leg! We have tried several things which our horsey friends have suggested: putting our leg behind the girth before going into canter to encourage him to strike off with the right leg, trotting on the wrong diagonal before canter, doing lots of work on the right rein and bending him round tight corners but none of it seems to work very well. Occasionally he does go on the correct leg on the right rein and when he does we give him lots of praise so he knows he is doing it right. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!

One thing to remember is not to be tempted to lean forward and 'push' him into the canter. Sit up straight, look where you're going and don't be tempted to let either of you fall onto the forehand. One thing I've personally found to help is to keep my hands raised slightly when asking along with really exaggerating the leg behind girth demand. As soon as he strikes off on the wrong leg, bring him back to walk and ask again. Don't let him keep going on the wrong leg or else he's not going to know he's not doing it right. You need to be really firm but fair, the INSTANT he strikes off on the wrong leg, praise and release the pressure.

ETA - apologies - presumed you were asking from walk, but the same principle applies for trot too.

Shay

Visit site
Ditto. All sorts of physical issues could be why he is reluctant to strike of correctly. It might be worth starting with the usual back / teeth / tack checks. Other than that - what about an instructor to just give a little bit of help?

L&M

Visit site
Have you tried asking over a raised pole or small jump coming out of a corner? Helped loads with my youngster.

However after 7 yrs, I would also be questioning something physical, sorry....

Elvis

Visit site
I'm another who would question whether there is an underlying problem, especially after 7 years.

I found walk to canter helped on my horse, but he was young and green at the time.

RollOnSpring

Visit site
I'd get a back person/physio to come see him - some horses, especially younger ones, sometimes need a bit of tweaking and it can make all the difference :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Have his back checked and his saddle and then work at undoing 7 years of habit. Does he always use the same leg when out hacking? I find it easier to choose a leg on a long canter in a field, block the shoulder by moving his head over but only try after you have checked him out, I had this issue but after checks now know it is the saddle. Saddler due Saturday.........can't wait!

canteron

Visit site
Your position is key, your horse clearly finds it difficult to balance so build it up slowly and ensure your position is the very best it can be.

Clearly, I don't know how you ride, but this may be helpful, if I can get my position correct it really helps. Also, critically if you move your horse out from a circle, then it should already have the correct bend and make the whole job easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxRlSGJew4

(it should be a youtube video Art2Ride The outside leg)

horseyhazel

Visit site
What we find is that when he is jumping a course he is almost always on the correct lead, which is interesting and shows that he can do it, and suggests that he's got no physical problems. His saddle has been checked by a professional; he has a sheepskin numnah and gel pad. Thanks for the help

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
What we find is that when he is jumping a course he is almost always on the correct lead, which is interesting and shows that he can do it, and suggests that he's got no physical problems. His saddle has been checked by a professional; he has a sheepskin numnah and gel pad. Thanks for the help

Then its likely to be a problem with the rider sitting wonkey or asking wrong. Or a horse that has learned to ignore its rider, knowing it will be allowed to canter on the favoured lead. Instant correction, including out hacking and lots of repetition will cure the latter.

I'm sure you're not daft but there are lots of poor instructors so I'm going to say this anyway...you do realise there are two sets of canter aids? One set for cantering on the left lead and one set for cantering on the right lead. There are no such aids for "canter on whichever lead you like" (often used out hacking, involving a general nudge/kick with both legs, or worse just a letting out of the reins by an inch or two with no leg aids). Always use leg aids to ask for canter no matter how naturally forward going the horse is and always choose the lead leg, expecting obedience regardless of whether you're on a straight line or a bend / whether you're hacking or schooling.

Gwyntbryn

Visit site
Turn down the three quarter line, leg yield towards the fence and ask for canter as you get back to the track.

Auslander

Visit site

Did the saddler fit the saddle AND the sheepskin and gel pad. If Yes, the saddle clearly doesn't fit! If the saddler fitted it without, and you're using that much underneath it, it's probably too tight now. This probably isn't the cause, if he's being doing it all along, but it won't help.

Love

Visit site
Not read all replies so apologies if this has been said already but my instructor helped me with this when my youngster was striking off on the wrong leg as he was unbalanced. Change the rein across the diagonal and after X before you hit the track, pick up the correct bend and ask for canter. It worked nearly every time. Once he has the correct lead push him on and get him used to the feeling of it. If he can do some circles too that will also get him used to feeling the right legs underneath him. And as others have said sit up - don't be tempted to lean to the inside as this will unbalance him more and he is more likely to counteract you with striking off on the wrong leg. i used to be terrible for doing this.

bex1984

Visit site
My pony is a monster for cantering on the wrong leg, mainly on the left rein. He's been in doing it for 6 years, had everything physical checked in that time and has no problem doing it when it suits him...

My only real tip is to really make sure it's a forward canter, it's much harder for them to do it wrong if you push them on, and if you insist on a really good upwards transition.

You have my sympathy, it has been drivingme mad for years! I've learnt to ignore it and kick on!

CobsGalore

Visit site
My instructor has been helping me get the correct lead on the right rein, something my 6year old finds difficult. I have tried sooooo many different things, but what my instructor suggested is the only thing that works, and finally, he is starting to get it!!

So, on the right rein, approaching a corner, shift your weight a little to the inside and create a nice inside bend. Move your outside leg waaayyyy back, a really exaggerated movement, and use this leg (not the inside as you usually would) to ask for the canter. If you get the wrong lead, straight back to trot, and ask again, in exactly the same way, no later than a few strides later. Keep on a 20m circle while doing this, and just keep asking again and again until he finally gets it.

The first time took 4 or 5 times to get it, now he usually gets it the 2nd time - a massive improvement, now we are aiming for first time every time!

canteron

Visit site
My instructor has been helping me get the correct lead on the right rein, something my 6year old finds difficult. I have tried sooooo many different things, but what my instructor suggested is the only thing that works, and finally, he is starting to get it!!

So, on the right rein, approaching a corner, shift your weight a little to the inside and create a nice inside bend. Move your outside leg waaayyyy back, a really exaggerated movement, and use this leg (not the inside as you usually would) to ask for the canter. If you get the wrong lead, straight back to trot, and ask again, in exactly the same way, no later than a few strides later. Keep on a 20m circle while doing this, and just keep asking again and again until he finally gets it.

The first time took 4 or 5 times to get it, now he usually gets it the 2nd time - a massive improvement, now we are aiming for first time every time!

How you move your leg back is the key! What exactly is using the outside leg anywa.! Not necessarily what seems obvious form that phrase!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxRlSGJew4

iloveCharlie5

Visit site
i had the same problem with my new youngster; i found that by bringing my outside hand towards my hip and my inside hand high and towards the outside hand, sitting for a good few strides in trot beforehand to collect my reins and get my hands into the aforementioned position, then pushing my leg behind the girth and asking, really helped because it made sure that he was prepared and i gave him the aids as clearly as possible. Also make sure that you are sat in the perfect postion in the sitting trot before asking. I know it all sounds basic but i think going back to the basics would really help Neddy. Good luck:)

Harri Green

Visit site
Half halt to the inside rein, stronger with your inside leg than your outside leg which should also be back. Make sure he's actually bending in the direction you need the canter and when he gets it right push push push with ur seat and praise like mad.
If that doesn't work, a pole slightly raised after a corner and ask in the corner so he canters as u go over the pole.
I'm sure u r only trying in the corners too x