Any tips for dressage calling!

shannonandtay

Visit site
Hi, daughter is doing her second dressage test tomorrow, she came first last time doing intro A and this time its intro B. She didn't have a caller last time and remembered it well except for one hairy moment when she nearly missed her medium walk. Due to this she wants me to call for her this time, we practise the test at our yard and I call for her then with no problems BUT now I feel really nervous of doing it on the day and I know its only Intro B but it means the world to her, I don't want to get it wrong, any tips please?

BSJAlove

Visit site
Don't read the wrong test like my last caller, don't read to fast and watch what she's doing ;)

It's all part of the fun. If it fails, it will always be known as 'that' event and everyone has one!!! Good luck to your daughter and good luck to you :)

PolarSkye

Visit site
- Speak up (sounds obvious, but I know from experience how, as a rider, you can be in the zone and not necessarily hear your caller)

- Learn, or at least read thoroughly, the test beforehand

- Follow the rider and give the next instruction pretty much as the rider (your daughter) is performing the previous movement . . . or directly after

- Enunciate . . . particularly the letters

- Smile :).

Good luck to your daughter - I am sure you will both do really well :D.

P

sophiebailey

Visit site
Number one tip is make sure you give the instruction in plenty of time (eg don't tell her to circle at E when she's at E, tell her when she's two letters away so she's got time to prepare!!!) and speak loudly :) xx

DaveSkywalker

Visit site
I would second canteron's reply. I was given the job of calling for my OHs test as there was noone else available. Well I was quite frankly very nervous. I think that was an Intro B test. I wanted to practice at least for timings etc. as I had hardly watch them due to holding other horses.

I found a YouTube video that was of a static camera rather than one that followed the horse and "called" for that horse. That helped a lot. I got the hang of calling the instruction at the letter before.

Also make sure you follow where the rider is on the test :p

Speak loudly and clearly. Follow the test on the sheet and don't just watch the horse or you might miss something.

Worked well on my first time (although it helps if the rider follows the instructions :p )

shannonandtay

Visit site
Lol, yes well the thing is if she goes wrong it will be my fault if I've read it wrong or not!

Thanks for the advise, I think I just need to keep calm and not get distracted. It seems so easy in the school at the yard but this is a big arena so I will defiantly need to call loudly.

Canteron - Good idea about the change of transitions, I don't want to keep calling out working trot when she's already in working trot so will keep things simple.

Thanks for the good luck, I will need it as daughter and pony usually take it in their stride.

x-di-x

Visit site
I had to do this and I was as nervous as hell. We did a run thru a few days before and I was very very lucky to have a member of a very good dressage family give me tips.

Firstly speak loudly and clearly at an even tone and pace

Give your instructions one ahead! Eg if their changing the rein a-c and at c going into a 20m circle tell them at A!

Practice before hand. Get your daughter in a school and practice the test let her find the right volume level. There's no point finding out on the day that she can't hear you!

Leave out unnecessary words eg "change of rein a to c at c go into working trot to b at b do a 10m circle". Becomes "change rein a to c, c working trot to b, b 10m circle".

Leaving out the unnecessary little works gives a clearer instruction and gives you time.

turkana

Visit site
Practice your shouting voice!

When I called for a friend she couldn't hear despite the fact that I thought I was bellowing.

mrsh2010

Visit site
I might be wrong, but I thought you had to read the test exactly as it states on the sheet?

However I read it as if I was riding it myself... i.e. when would I want to be told the next movement

Remember to speak loudly and clearly, and most of all enjoy it!! :) And Good luck!

x-di-x

Visit site
Yes you do have to read it as written as such but you are permitted to take out little words such as "proceed in working trot to c" can be changed to "proceed, working trot, c" as you are not changing the basis of the test

Old Bat

Visit site
All of the above and be aware of wind direction! If its a windy day position yourself at whichever of B or E is upwind, so the wind will carry your voice over the arena, not away from it. (Not much help if wind coming from A or C but try and allow it to help your voice not blow it away!)

shannonandtay

Visit site
Thanks everyone that really helpful, just need to keep my nerves in check now and remember to be loud, the arena is right next to a busy main road which doesn't help!

mturnbull

Visit site
I wouldn't ever change what's on the test as technically you can get eliminated for not tradig the test properly and depending what mood your judge is in they would be in every right to do so!
I'm sure you will be perfect at reading intro B, breathe relax and read!

maree t

Visit site
I think that you can leave words out but not add them. I never read the bits that say working canter round all the letters . I just say working canter to f and the trot at c . If you see what I mean !!.
I have never had a query from the judge about it. I cross the bits off my sheet for when I am reading it as I am so worried about getting it wrong,
I read for my son at an event and even though I was saying turn right at c he still turned left !!!
I always feel responsible and worry but so far so good .
Hope you go ok and lots of practice

Nosey

Visit site
Speak clearly so there's no chance of confusing c/b/e etc....also hold your finger next to movement you are reading so you don't miss or duplicate.

purplerain

Visit site
I can only do it if reading from a copy with diagrams, e.g. the dressagediagrams sheets. They're a godsend to me, as I just can't visualise where we're up to without the pictures :)

Normally at competitions I ask a friend to call, as I prefer to take photos. Also I'm so used to adding my own commentary when practising at home ("Corners!", "It's supposed to be medium walk not dawdle!" etc.) that I don't think I'd trust myself not to add the commentary at a competition :eek: :p At least if I'm only taking photos I can add the commentary quietly to myself!

HeresHoping

Visit site
All of the above and be aware of wind direction! If its a windy day position yourself at whichever of B or E is upwind, so the wind will carry your voice over the arena, not away from it. (Not much help if wind coming from A or C but try and allow it to help your voice not blow it away!)

And have a clip board with extra bulldog clips to hold your test down four square. One page on one side; one on the other.

Living in the Fens, where the wind blows from every direction (and always via Siberia), I learned this is an absolute must. The first time I read the wind kept blowing my test in half and I kept losing my place...fortunately I had learned it as I was supposed to be doing it, too. Then, rather embarrassingly, as I was turning the page over, the damn thing blew right out of my hands and across three dressage arenas.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You must call clearly & in plenty of time so your daughter can react to the call.

It is normally better to actually have someone call who is nothing to do with the rider. They do a great job. When the caller is the parent of the competitor they sometimes get pulled into the test & begin watching rather than just calling & then calls are either late or sometimes even missed. :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
OP- join my club!

I'm a quiet person and HATE the idea of shouting in front of loads of people. Also know full well if I make the slightest mistake not coming first will be totally my fault!
Our next text coming up is in less than 2 weeks one of which my daughter is on a school trip for- we have about 4 days practise. Then its Prelim 12 + 18 which In my opinion are a fair bit trickier then the 3 she has done before and she's on the club team so we don't just ruin it for us..........

shannonandtay

Visit site
Toby-Zaphod -yep I'm going to have to concentrate on my sheet and not on her riding!

Poiuytrewq - I know the pressure of getting it right for them is horrible, but I must say I'm pleased its dressage and not show jumping or cross country she's into as I wouldn't be able to look. I think she will be moving on to prelim soon she just wanted to start at intro to get the feel of things. Good luck to your daughter, even more pressure when its a team!

somethingillremember

Visit site
I call tests regularly for a family and often get strangers asking me to call a test for them which is very frightening ! I dont the person or the test or how much notice before a movement they like ! I cut out the un nec words , speak loudly and clearly . The test-sheet is eye level with me , that way I can keep an eye on the rider and my words carry rather than reading whilst looking down at the sheet. Smile and have fun !

shannonandtay

Visit site
And have a clip board with extra bulldog clips to hold your test down four square. One page on one side; one on the other.

Living in the Fens, where the wind blows from every direction (and always via Siberia), I learned this is an absolute must. The first time I read the wind kept blowing my test in half and I kept losing my place...fortunately I had learned it as I was supposed to be doing it, too. Then, rather embarrassingly, as I was turning the page over, the damn thing blew right out of my hands and across three dressage arenas.

:D:D:D good idea I have a clipboard at work I can take.

Purplerain - I can only make sense of the test if it has diagrams!