Any tips for Plantar fasciitis?

Goldenstar

Visit site
No flat shoes .
The frozen bottles .
A physio with a laser
A trip to a private chiropodist to have some insoles made for you .
It's a seriously unpleasant condition .

Dexydoodle

Visit site
I think the no flat shoes depends on the cause of it, and what people mean by 'flat'!

I've had it on and off for a few years - had physio, inserts made etc. Still would come back. Got to the point I just accepted that i'd always have pain in my feet walking in 'normal' shoes - i.e. not walking boots, running trainers etc

Ended up speaking to my osteo (who I see for my shoulder/ various other issues as a result of my hypermobility) and the first thing he did was tell me to stop wearing heels. I lived in heels, love them. Found I didn't get a flare up in heels, but did in shoes with thin soles - ballet pumps etc. He worked on my feet over a few weeks, and basically my calves were short and tight, as was my Achilles. So the natural 'flex' of the plantar fascia wasn't happening. Did loads of calf stretches and stretches to strengthen my feet, and its gone. Can walk barefoot around the house, calves are much looser.

Its been hard not wearing heels (actually had to shop for new boots!), and I still can't wear shoes without a decent sole, but not having the constant pain when I walk is great.

So not saying disregard other advice, but just things are different for everyone, and I've been recommended to wear shoes as close to flat as I can possibly get - just not thin soled.

D66

Visit site
Ive had it for years, I think it was started by underfloor heating we had when i was pregnant, home all day, and just couldn't get away from it. Steroid injections (not painful) helped, as did insoles from Boots. The standard ones were more effective for me than the custom made though I have had a pair moulded to my feet for running shoes.

Annagain

Visit site
I think the no flat shoes depends on the cause of it, and what people mean by 'flat'!

I've had it on and off for a few years - had physio, inserts made etc. Still would come back. Got to the point I just accepted that i'd always have pain in my feet walking in 'normal' shoes - i.e. not walking boots, running trainers etc

Ended up speaking to my osteo (who I see for my shoulder/ various other issues as a result of my hypermobility) and the first thing he did was tell me to stop wearing heels. I lived in heels, love them. Found I didn't get a flare up in heels, but did in shoes with thin soles - ballet pumps etc. He worked on my feet over a few weeks, and basically my calves were short and tight, as was my Achilles. So the natural 'flex' of the plantar fascia wasn't happening. Did loads of calf stretches and stretches to strengthen my feet, and its gone. Can walk barefoot around the house, calves are much looser.

Its been hard not wearing heels (actually had to shop for new boots!), and I still can't wear shoes without a decent sole, but not having the constant pain when I walk is great.

So not saying disregard other advice, but just things are different for everyone, and I've been recommended to wear shoes as close to flat as I can possibly get - just not thin soled.

Yes - I can wear flat shoes as long as they have a decent sole or have enough room in them for me to fit my insoles in. Ballet pumps are the worst for me (I'm sure that's what started it off in my case) and my podiatrist told me she's seen a huge increase in cases since ballet pumps came into fashion. I can manage a low heel - about 2 inches maximum but anything higher and I'm in agony. Wedges are better for me than normal heels.

I was doing a lot better until I tore my calf muscle and couldn't do the stretches for 3 months. It came back with a vengeance and I can't shift it this time.

Dexydoodle

Visit site
I was crippled with this...I started doing calf stretches & also the exercise for achilles issues (which I also have) which involves standing on the edge of a step & raising/lowering. I stretch as soon as I get up, i.e. before I try & tackle the stairs, while I'm brushing my teeth twice a day (electric toothbrush times 30 seconds x 4 so I can do 2 stretches for 30 seconds on each leg), before going to bed & also after gym, so that's potentially up to 5 sets of stretching a day.

I only started all the stretching as I was having a lot of issues with tight calves when running...& it has eradicated the PF! I've gone from being pretty much crippled & hobbling about to being able to walk downstairs without thinking about it. It's stayed gone for a good 6 months now.

T x

Glad to know i'm not the only electric toothbrush stair stretcher! When I started I couldn't even do 30 seconds, but now built up to a minute (osteo advised a minute each side - not sure why so not saying its better or anything!). When he explained it holistically in terms of calves and tendons connecting in it made sense but no one had flagged it in my on and off treatment over the previous 5 or so years!

conniegirl

Visit site
But I went to boots the chemist and bought some of those scholl gel inserts and arch supports...and I put them in my boots and trainers and they really do help a lot.

This is fab to hear! These insoles were my project for the last 2 years!
Just an FYI, it will not damage them if you put them in the freezer but they will retain the cold for a good while, the cold can help with an acute flare up.
Wearing good shoes with correct arch support will help prevent flare ups but when in the acute phase cold, ibuprofen and massage/stretching the plantar ligaments (there are 3!) are your best bet.
Those of you who use a coke can, try using a very cold coke can! Will help a lot

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
By "flat" I meant shoes such as ballet type shoes with a thin sole and no support whatsoever. Trainers are recommended by physios and podiatrists but my daughter found a really good pair of slip on shoes and with insoles in have been the best so far.