Any tips for the B+E trailer test?

ponyforever

Visit site
I'm taking my trailer test next week.

Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

I have been practicing and I have had professional lessons, but I'd love to hear any tips from test survivors!

lauracwd2

Visit site
Keep calm, remember you already know how to drive and have passed a test for that you are there to show that you are safe towing a trailer and that you can prepare for what is coming on the road ahead, use your mirrors, indicate and be aware of what is happening around you. The bit I was most worried about was the hitch and unhitch so I talked my way through it explaining to the examiner what I was doing and why, it helped me concentrate on the order to do everything and the reason for doing it correctly.

Jenna1406

Visit site
2nd the keep calm part.

I struggled with remembering the "correct order" the hitching and unhitching so had to practise that at home a few times and like above said - talk your way though it why your doing it in that order.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Lane positioning! Be really strict about it especially on roundabouts, make sure the trailer doesn't block any other lanes or cut anyone up. Also practise lots of reversing (I'm sure you do anyway). Try not to get too stressed about it (I am terrible in practical exams and normally fail first time as I get too worried about doing things wrong).

puppystitch

Visit site
If you're driving a manual then your clutch leg is highly likely to shake during the reversing! Of everyone I know that took the test, all got the leg-wobble. For me it got worse as I realised that the trailer was actually going where I wanted it to go! If you do get a wobbly leg, just stop, put the car in neutral, handbrake on and take a breath and relax your leg / give it a shake, then start again. As far as I'm aware you won't be penalised (although do double check with your instructor).

Good luck!

ROG

Visit site
If you're driving a manual then your clutch leg is highly likely to shake during the reversing! Of everyone I know that took the test, all got the leg-wobble. For me it got worse as I realised that the trailer was actually going where I wanted it to go! If you do get a wobbly leg, just stop, put the car in neutral, handbrake on and take a breath and relax your leg / give it a shake, then start again. As far as I'm aware you won't be penalised (although do double check with your instructor).

Good luck!
Keeping heel on the floor and sliding it stops that

NO using accelerator when reversing - keep right foot over but not touching brake pedal

ponyforever

Visit site
Keeping heel on the floor and sliding it stops that

NO using accelerator when reversing - keep right foot over but not touching brake pedal

Thanks for all the advice, test was yesterday and it all went perfectly with 2 minors, until I failed for doing 34 in two 30 zones. My speedo read 30 but the examiner was reading 34 from his seat. Thus, I am now aware I will have to drive way under the speed limit next time, to allow for the examiners viewpoint! Incredibly frustrating and unfair as speedos are designed to be read by the driver!

Equi

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, test was yesterday and it all went perfectly with 2 minors, until I failed for doing 34 in two 30 zones. My speedo read 30 but the examiner was reading 34 from his seat. Thus, I am now aware I will have to drive way under the speed limit next time, to allow for the examiners viewpoint! Incredibly frustrating and unfair as speedos are designed to be read by the driver!

Honestly, i would appeal this. If it was reading 30, you will be penalized for going too slow if its reading in the 20s.

ponyforever

Visit site
Honestly, i would appeal this. If it was reading 30, you will be penalized for going too slow if its reading in the 20s.

Thanks, I am planning to appeal so the instructor is at least aware at the next test as the parallax error is quite bad on the vehicle.