Any tips for turning out in fields with lots of grass?

karenjj

Visit site
Hi, We've just bought a house with a couple of acres of land and I am due to move my two horses up there in a few weeks. I am concerned by the fields though,at the livery yard they are at the moment, there is hardly any grass and they are having two feeds a day and plenty of hay but at the house, the fields have lots of grass in them! I don't really know whether to split the field or how to manage the whole thing, do I stop feeding them their feeds? Does anyone have any ideas? I could bring them in early for a week, after that I am working full time. Thanks!

carys220

Visit site
Electric fencing and strip grazing...start them with a little paddock and gradually give them more....

Sounds lovely BTW, I'd love to have a house with land
grin.gif

karenjj

Visit site
Thanks! I am excited about moving, it'll be strange not to be on a livery yard though! I will propbably be on here all the time asking questions!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Def electric and strip grazing, and I would also start with a turnout of no more than about 3 hours and then go up an hour each day until you get to the intended period, or a slower rise if you have any concerns.

We moved from a livery yard to our own place in the spring, with similar scenario re grass, so understand the concerns!!

PS it is lovely to look out the window and see your own horse at home :)))) and you can turnout at night on hot days on a whim, not that there have been many of these.....

Louisex

Visit site
well you could put grazzing muzzles on during the day and bring them in at night with 1 haynet and shaving cz they usaly eat the bedding with one hay net, hope that helps