Any tips on cleaning the green stuff off an Ifor Williams trailer?

tigger01

Visit site
My trailer's been outside for 3 months and has got a nice coating of green algae on the roof! Anyone know what removes this? And anything to prevent it coming back?

Thanks as ever!!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
We clean the outside of our trailer with diluted bleach, cleans it very well. Only way to stop the green stuff coming back is to either wash it regularly or keep it inside I think.

Janette

Visit site
I found that Fairy stuff that comes in a green bottle is good. Can't remember the full name, but it's for cleaning bbq's and baked on carbon on dishes. The bottle is amller that your usual Fairy spray bottles.

Clannad48

Visit site
If you want to do it yourself then try Cillit Bang - or you could do what I did yesterday, drove the trailer to the hand car wash place at the back of the local petrol station (Run by some very nice Polish men). They did the Jeep and the Trailer (Ifor Williams 505) for £20. Came out the other end looking brand new - I didn't know my car was blue :)

Kat

Visit site
I did this.

Parked trailer up, bought a new jet wash, and allowed husband and father to play with said jet wash.

Basically the same end result as paying some polish guys twenty quid but I got to spend quality time with my mum while the men in our lives played with boys toys. Win win situation.

Suelin

Visit site
I use the stuff that you clean caravans with. About £1 for a bagful that will last ages from local caravanning agents. Once rinsed, clean and dry spray the lot with WD40 to prevent it coming back. worked fabulously for mine. (note to self: must clean the current trailer roof!)

mjcssjw2

Visit site
problem with the jet wash is that you have to be careful with the sealer or it leaks, did mine today with a bucket an chair and a long bruch, came up pretty clean.
Then I got carried away and lubricate all my hinges and wheel nuts!!

Clannad48

Visit site
I did this.

Parked trailer up, bought a new jet wash, and allowed husband and father to play with said jet wash.

Basically the same end result as paying some polish guys twenty quid but I got to spend quality time with my mum while the men in our lives played with boys toys. Win win situation.

No men in my life to do this - and the Polish guys were very fit - a very amusing half hour of my time - they made me smile - well worth the £20:) :)

I agree about the jet wash though - if you have decals on your trailer it will rip them off in a second

trailernerd

New User
Visit site
Best stuff to use is Fenwicks Horse box and Trailer Cleaner.
I think it has a fungicide in it and slows down the mould growth

Kallibear

Visit site
Make sure whatever you use has a fungacide in it so it kills the algae, not just takes the stuff you can see off. A splash of bleach would do it.

It's the outside, not the inside? There was a big issue with mould on inside of the new 506/511 as the paint they used wasn't up to scratch. They are replacing those roofs for free if you contract a dealer.

Sprig

Visit site
I used one of those 'shower puff' things to do mine. It is abrasive enough to get the grime off but soft enough not to scratch the trailer.

Jericho

Visit site
thanks everyone! useful thread... have just ordered some of the Fenwick stuff to give my trailer a good clean, has been bugging me for ages!