any tips or advice please on horse going crazy at shows?

xxjd88xx

New User
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my very first post here and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. Basically, I've a 5yr old Welsh x warmblood gelding who I've owned since a 2 yr old. He was totally wild and unhandled but is now a cracking little horse, he schools like a dream, moves beautifully and has achieved great marks at unaffiliated dressage! However, I'd like to do some low level eventing with him eventually. So here comes the problem, when I take him to shows or jumping ect he turns into a psychotic wreck, these are only small venues too... First show I took him to last year he was biting me, kicking out at other horses and just overall very angry, so I decided to leave it a while as it was all to much for him, then a while ago I took him clear round jumping, he ran through every fence got REALLY strong and refused to listen to me at all, then we went to do a little dressage test, in the warm up he was a nightmare then for his test he was Hoof perfect.... I took him to a fun ride in April, he was good as gold didn't get strong or silly once so I thought ok, time to get him out showing again as I thought originally it was all the new horses around that may be bothering him and he must be getting used to it all now.... Well he got very nasty with my yesterday before the first in hand class and I decided not to take him in due to young children being there. I then tacked him up ready for the ridden classes and thought if I walked him around and got him used to everything he might calm down.... He tried bolting, running backwards, rearing, napping, running sideways.... That is just NOT my horse, I was horrified I'm not going to lie. Anyway towards the end of the day he calmed down enough to take him into the last in hand class then he fired up again nipping at me and napping to the gate, and point Blanco refused to stand still even though there was only 3 of us in there and he had literally chilled that much outside the ring he was half asleep. I don't want to buddy him up because that makes him even worse when they have to leave or visa versa. What can I do? If I can't get him used to showing/jumping ect we'll never be able to do anything and I love this horse more than life itself, and he is far to good to be just a hacking horse. Any advice hugely appreciated, sorry for the long winded post!

AengusOg

Visit site
I'm guessing that your horse lives on his own without the company of others.

If that is the case, then the part of the answer lies in addressing that.

AengusOg

Visit site
Well, that's helpful. :rolleyes:

In that case perhaps you need to do a bit of groundwork with your horse, as it sounds as if he is totally out of control.

What does 'buddy him up' mean?

Last edited:

xxjd88xx

New User
Visit site
In fact my other horse is actually his best friend which can in occasion be a bit of a pain as they both have separation issues. Even though they're turned out in a heard they'll call to each other if I'm on the yard. my TB is much worse then my youngster though.

xxjd88xx

New User
Visit site
But it's only at shows..... At home/hacking/fun rides he is perfect in every single way...... Buddy up means taking another horse with him....