any treccies here?

fabfjords

Visit site
Only just registered on here,so hello to you all,keen to get to no you all and your horses and what you do together.Ive got a fjord mare 6 years old and we do mainly long rides,abit of trec and enduro SR.:)

fabfjords

Visit site
I prob shud av may it abit clearer to u none treccies lol...Its something that ive had a taster at and seems to suit us both,i would like to get a partner who as done a few like me to join up with for next year and go to a few rides together!:D Is there anyone in leicestershire? your abit too far irish treccie but would like to no more about the sport and how long you been doing it,what horse you got ect:rolleyes:

albeg

Visit site
I've been doing it since March 2011 and I did a level 3 competition a couple of weeks ago. I have a Connemara pony who was a complete wimp before we started doing trec. I really enjoy it, I love spending a few hours out with my pony. :)

spike123

Visit site
Im a total newbie to le trec. Aiming for an indoor comp in a couple of weeks but would like to do alot more. Now have a course set up at the yard for the obstacles and most of the yard are loving having a go at it. Unfortunately here in Kent comps are very few and far between

mandwhy

Visit site
So what actually is it? I have seen a few pictures which seemed to be along the lines of going under/over/through obstacles, like an elaborate bomb proofing session?

rhino

Visit site
So what actually is it? I have seen a few pictures which seemed to be along the lines of going under/over/through obstacles, like an elaborate bomb proofing session?

There's three different parts to it :)

Orienteering (POR); between 12 and 40km dependent on level
Control of Paces (CoP); basically you have to walk as fast as you can, then canter as slowly as you can
Obstacles (PTV) - the bit you have seen, just like a big handy pony course!

spike123

Visit site
indoor trec is usually control of the paces (cop) where you have to canter as slowly as possible without breaking the pace and to walk as fast as possible without breaking pace over a set distance and then to do a variety of obstacles some that are led and some that are ridden. The obstacles can vary from doing a gate from on board, bending around poles at a set distance to loading a horse in a trailer or dismounting and remounting on either side. It usually also includes a small jump and a simulated bridge or other such obstacle. Outdoor trec consists of the same sorts of obstacles often incorporating a cross country course within the obstacle phase and then orienteering a route within an optimum time. The idea being that you don't complete too fast or too slow and you will be given co-ordinates and have to work out the route yourself.

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh thanks Rhino and Spike that actually sounds more appealing than just the handy pony type bits I have seen! I like the sound of the orienteering bit lots :) I have seen it advertised quite a lot here, will definitely give it a go when I find new horse!

fabfjords

Visit site
Ive been on trec uk mainly last year to find out all about it more when we just started,but didnt find them very friendly :( Then when i went to a in door obstacle training day the reception i got was awfull,everyone looked at me as though id just landed:eek:
I probably just got a bad clickey bunch or something??but im not easily put off if i enjoy,as the sport is so interesting and theres so much to work on all year round,i like the idea of setting up some obstacles at home,but i havent got a school yet as just got my own place and its all grass.what obstacles do you use? can you make things up?:D

albeg

Visit site
I'm assuming there's a pdf of all the obstacles (if BHS TREC doesn't have one, TREC Ireland has and it's similar), which would give you an idea of what you might meet. I've made a slalom, corridor, s-bend using poles/cones, ride under branches on hacks to practice low branches, I've ridden over tarpaulin (as a "footbridge", it gets them used to going over something scary). If you're creative you can practice a lot of them at home.

fabfjords

Visit site
Ive done all them at my previous yard and i do try when out on a hack to practice some things,my girl loves all that kind of thing.When ive got time threw the winter probably will try to make some stuff again and section abit of in the field,weve done tarpalin,walk over wooden boards,go round cones,practiced standing in a inner circle ect... Just wondering if theres anything else we could practice or i could make? any ideas?:)

spike123

Visit site
I will try to get some pics of the course we have put together at the yard. We have cones for bending, A wooden small footbridge, a small jump, coridoors made out of poles for backing up and going through and have made an adaptation of some jump wings to make the low branches obstacle using canes so as not to hurt us or the horse should they not make it cleanly through and the s bends again out of poles and fence posts. We built them according to trec specifications so as we know we are practising properly. We also have a mounting block out there with cones so we can work out timings for mounting,dismounting etc as aparantly penalties are easily accumulated at this obstacle. We also plan to put down some flour to practise the bit where you get your horse to stay in a circle while you stand outside it.

fabfjords

Visit site
thats given me more to practice on and make,to be honest with you ive done most of what you have said last year.just got to get all the (materials) to get it all in place at my yard now.i liketheflour idea!!:D

BBP

Visit site
Me! Black Spanish pony stands out from a lot of the other Trec horses but its great for us, loads if puzzles and challenges to help him be brave but in a very relaxed atmosphere. I'm loving it so far!

TRECtastic

Visit site
me ! !

i love going to TREC comps , have always found everyone friendly and helpful
the winter series is a great place to start
for anyone in the midlands swallowfields are holding a training evening
http://www.equineaffairs.com/events_details.aspx?dm=27/09/2012 13:28:06&simon=168616&from=rl&LocationID=1616&TrainerID=&RCID=0&Type=&SecretaryID=

a good tip for orienteering is to get your local OS 1:25 map and have a look at the area you hack out in , look for features , fence lines , roads , paths , rivers & streams etc
get a map case and take the map out with you when you ride and look out for the features on the map , a level 1 route should be basic orienteering and the speeds set shouldnt be to fast
i first did a trec comp cause i thought it sounded brill to camp out with my horse , i have competed all over england,scotland & wales , riding over spectacular routes that i normally wouldnt have access to

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
Only just registered on here,so hello to you all,keen to get to no you all and your horses and what you do together.Ive got a fjord mare 6 years old and we do mainly long rides,abit of trec and enduro SR.:)

:D yay another fjord owner!! Mine is a 20 year old gelding, and we do all sorts together - we've done some indoor trec, fun rides, showing, hacking, and we are starting dressage over winter:eek:

HollyB66

Visit site
Im a total newbie to le trec. Aiming for an indoor comp in a couple of weeks but would like to do alot more. Now have a course set up at the yard for the obstacles and most of the yard are loving having a go at it. Unfortunately here in Kent comps are very few and far between

I like trec, although I've only ever done training days.

Where's the indoor comp spike? is it local to Kent? Thx :)

Perce

Visit site
I'm a treccie and love it!
tried it to give my stropy mare something to think about and allow me to use my voice if necessary - I think she loves it too.
Sorry to hear you found the trec-uk forum unfriendly. Maybe you got a quiet patch - I found them incredibly helpful and freindly when I started not too long ago. Give them another try maybe.
Most of the summer trecs now over for the year so agree - try to get to another winter one as great place to try out your skills!
I have improveised lots of obstacles out of whatever I can find.
2 tall electric fence posts and a lunge line make a good practise maypole if noone has suggested that one already.and your horse will already expect to go around in a circle with a lunge line 'attached' :)

kaiserchief

Visit site
I want to get into Le Trec with my youngster next year - it's something I've always wanted to do but never had the right horse. My boy has been winning horse agility competitions all year (he's just 4) and loves hacking out in hand, so I'm hoping that once we get the riding thing sorted, he'll enjoy Le Trec as much as I hope I will :D

fabfjords

Visit site
Great to see another fjord owner,no one around my area i think:rolleyes: i just love them,there super beasties!! going to see if theresany trec winter indoor for us to go to,and im getting a obstacle course together.:)

rascal

Visit site
There's three different parts to it :)

Orienteering (POR); between 12 and 40km dependent on level

Control of Paces (CoP); basically you have to walk as fast as you can, then canter as slowly as you can
Obstacles (PTV) - the bit you have seen, just like a big handy pony course!

Hi, I love fjords too, even though mines a welsh d.

Would love to have a go when Nicos older, but orienteering? Cant find my way to my own back garden!!

fabfjords

Visit site
Im not too bad with a map.ive done a few endurance rides and try to follow the maps as much as i can,but still need to study it well before hand:confused: my girl will struggle with the control of pace in slow canter as we havent done alot of canter work at home we only do canter on our outings to pleasure rides ect,and she is well excited to start of with.once ive got all my course set out at home im hopeing to work on that more with her threw the winter.:rolleyes:
Obstacles not a problem we have done quite a few and she justs laps it all up,shes not spooky or flighty at all she loves all that kind of stuff.:rolleyes: