Any truly waterproof jackets …

Otherwise

Visit site
Equidry are really generous sizing and unfortunately the most unflattering thing ever, having seen a friends in person I wouldn't be caught dead in it.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Sprayway with goretex. Mine is over 12 years old, has been washed multiple times, the hood has been ripped off, and it is still waterproof.. it is bright red so great for hacking and has riding vents. I adore it and it has never, ever leaked.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Re Equidry, does anyone have one, sizing wise unfortunately I doubt I'd be comfortable in any of the Equetech ones as I am too big on the bust, do Equidry come up generous? I hate feeling restricted in chest/shoulders

They have a size guide on their website based on also how tall you are. I am 5ft and a 10/12 and i would be a small. They are generous as they are an oversized coat!

I'm a size 12 & 5ft11 & I had to send the medium back for a small! Still huge on me & touches the tops of my wellies. It's super unflattering & like a sleeping bag, but I really don't care when I'm bone dry, cosy & able to do my chores & ride in it! I've gone waaaaaay past that stage of trying to look presentable over winter!

Reactions: jnb

Baroque

Visit site
Just coming back to this thread with a huge thank you to all who recommended the Equetech coats. I found the Equetech Venture (long riding coat) in a sale and bit the bullet. The first time I wore it I was stuck in horizontal rain for over 2 hours and stayed completely dry except for the very end of the cuffs.

The trouble is, it looks so stylish that I want to keep it for 'best'!

Lammy

Visit site
I too can vouch for the Equetech venture! Bought it for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and really got to test its waterproofness this morning in torrential rain - I was dry as a bone. Plus points that it comes right up to the top of my boots so it literally covers all of me! Also for those that were wondering size wise, I’m a size 10, FF cup and went for the medium as the small was nice but snug with a thin jumper on but I’m a cold person so like a thick jumper in the winter. Medium is perfect and gets everyone in just fine without looking massive ?

Birker2020

Visit site
So last Christmas I was treated to the pikeur waterproof parka. Wasn’t too impressed as zip a pain and lost it’s waterproof ness very quickly. Wore it for the first time today drenched through. had hoped it would last longer than half a winter.

does anyone have any genuinely waterproof recommendations, be great if could do yard work and ride in it !
I found out the other day that waterproof jackets (the hi viz long type worn on site and I assume this relates to all waterproof garments) come in various classes. Class 3 denotes waterproof and within that class there are three levels of waterproof, 1, 2 and 3 with 3 being the highest.

This all came about because a coat ordered by me for our labourer ended up letting water through into her polo shirt below. So I rang the supplier who in turn rang the manufacturer and they said I'd not ordered waterproof. So I sent photos of the garment label and copy of the delivery note back to the supplier saying 'oh yes I did'.

They then tried to claim it was sweat and that the 'wet' wasn't water but was sweat instead. I now call her Betty (sweaty Betty) :D
Anyway it turned out that it was partly my fault and I should have ordered 3:3 and not 3:1 :rolleyes:

As if the poor lass was not wet enough operating the wheel wash without heavy rain soaking her through.

Last edited:

teapot

Visit site
So last Christmas I was treated to the pikeur waterproof parka. Wasn’t too impressed as zip a pain and lost it’s waterproof ness very quickly. Wore it for the first time today drenched through. had hoped it would last longer than half a winter.

does anyone have any genuinely waterproof recommendations, be great if could do yard work and ride in it !

For truly waterproof you need something with a five figure rating of 10000mm or over. Very few, if any equestrian brands come close.

Otherwise

Visit site
teapot said:
For truly waterproof you need something with a five figure rating of 10000mm or over. Very few, if any equestrian brands come close.
A few equestrian companies are catching on that people want tried and tested truly waterproof coats, Equetech have a few 16,000mm, Stierna have a few 10,000mm as do Uhip.

PurBee

Visit site
I just bought a regatta mens jacket , it’s 10,000 for 20 quid! Rrp is 100.

Its a thin lightweight jacket material so perfect if you wear jumpers underneath - go for a size up to allow for jumpers as this is to keep rain off but not keep us warm.

Im yet to test it in torrential downpours but the material looks good to withstand irish rains!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203630324038?var=504041656548

gallopingby

Visit site
Does anyone know how waterproof Equidry coats are? l‘m thinking they need to be at least 10,000 to cope with the wind and rain not just a bit waterproof and cosy.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
If you are not too fashion conscious like me, get a Percussion shooting jacket. It doesn't leak and is designed for a day's shooting out in all weathers. I think the make was recommended by someone on here years ago, anyway, its a fabulous coat and has just so many useful pockets as well, even somewhere to store a pheasant and individual bullets!!!. I think they are a french make and you can get them in lots of places online and they are mid range price wise but worth every penny. It has never leaked.
Here is an example
https://hollandscountryclothing.co.uk/products/percussion-normandie-ladies-jacket

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Lots of comments about washing, you must wash them in proper stuff, Nikwax or Grangers etc, and ideally dry them with a little heat to reactivate the DWR coating which helps with waterproofing and breathability. The latter is really important and so many waterproof jackets are boil in the bag, for me (standing in a freezing arena one minute, flocking a saddle the next) it's crucial otherwise I'm wet from the inside, and why I won't wear the standard stuff that comes from the embroiderers.

Last edited:

sbloom

I stumbled across this the other day. Equine brands (other than Musto) aren't on there but thought it made interesting reading.
The best waterproof jackets – and those to avoid - Which?

I'll read it in full later but it's a bit misleading on a quick look at the chart, Didriksons didn't make a single highly breathable jacket when I looked, and Wolfskin makes some that are right up at the top levels, yet they're ranked the same on breathability as a brand, so it is slightly nonsense sadly.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm very tempted by the Equetech Venture Elite trench coat.

A few of you have got them, please can you advise on sizing for a tall bod? I'm 5'10", a size 12/14 with a small bust and fairly long in the arms. I'd be wearing it over layers. I often wear bloke's jackets for the sleeve length.

A medium or a large, do you think? I've emailed Equetech for advice, but have not yet heard back.

Annagain

Visit site
I'll read it in full later but it's a bit misleading on a quick look at the chart, Didriksons didn't make a single highly breathable jacket when I looked, and Wolfskin makes some that are right up at the top levels, yet they're ranked the same on breathability as a brand, so it is slightly nonsense sadly.

It's based on a customer survey so it's how those who have them review them rather than a scientific test.

sbloom

It's based on a customer survey so it's how those who have them review them rather than a scientific test.

In which case the breathability measure especially isn't going to be helpful at all, but at least with Wolfskin you can see the rating for every garment, as well as waterproofing. They range from 6,000 to 15,000 (I think) which an average of reviews for the brand can never address.

Ratface

Visit site
In which case the breathability measure especially isn't going to be helpful at all, but at least with Wolfskin you can see the rating for every garment, as well as waterproofing. They range from 6,000 to 15,000 (I think) which an average of reviews for the brand can never address.
Another vote for hi viz builder's jackets.
Excellent value for money.
Ensure whole torso visibility.
In my experience, don't lose their rainproofing capacity after being washed.
Even when grubby, still hi-viz.

flying_high

Visit site
Just coming back to this thread with a huge thank you to all who recommended the Equetech coats. I found the Equetech Venture (long riding coat) in a sale and bit the bullet. The first time I wore it I was stuck in horizontal rain for over 2 hours and stayed completely dry except for the very end of the cuffs.

The trouble is, it looks so stylish that I want to keep it for 'best'!

Link to Equetech in the sale? And what is the sizing like? I'm 5f6 and 14-16 thanks

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site

flying_high

Visit site
Griggs Equestrian have the Equetech Venture Elite for £161.95, RRP £180.00, plus a further 10% off for first order for new customers which comes out at £145.75.

https://www.griggsequestrian.co.uk/equetech-venture-elite-waterproof-trench-coat-graphite.html

Website says that both the medium and the large are in stock. The medium is out of stock everywhere else I looked.

Thanks, I ordered navy off Griggs but was out of stock (they emailed me) and I dont fancy grey. Think I will have to pay slightly more if want navy!

GreyDot

Visit site
My Weatherbeeta Kyla is definitely the best coat I have ever bought. Easy to ride in and warm and waterproof. Has withstood all last winter and spring in torrential rain and leave me dry and toasty.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, I ordered navy off Griggs but was out of stock (they emailed me) and I dont fancy grey. Think I will have to pay slightly more if want navy!
Haha, I was looking for grey and kept finding navy! Griggs had the grey in both medium and large, I ordered both for a size check on Friday late afternoon and they arrived Saturday - very impressed!

The medium was indeed a tad snug, but the large is perfect. It's a lovely and reassuringly heavy soft shell jacket. I'm a bit miffed that I'm in a large, after losing stacks of weight, but hey, it's only a label!

434F5A9F-0039-4B9A-B867-CE96BC045D1C.jpeg

Baroque

Visit site
Ooops. Just seen I've cross-posted. Glad you're sorted :)

I'm very tempted by the Equetech Venture Elite trench coat.

A few of you have got them, please can you advise on sizing for a tall bod? I'm 5'10", a size 12/14 with a small bust and fairly long in the arms. I'd be wearing it over layers. I often wear bloke's jackets for the sleeve length.

A medium or a large, do you think? I've emailed Equetech for advice, but have not yet heard back.

I'm also 5'10" and it's just on the knee. I like that it doesn't at all 'bind' around the legs, though, when you're walking...if you know what I mean? Sleeve length is plenty and I also have longish arms!

As to sizing, I'd just say that they are not loose. If you're looking to put a thick jumper, or gilet, underneath opt for going up a size perhaps?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Haha, I was looking for grey and kept finding navy! Griggs had the grey in both medium and large, I ordered both for a size check on Friday late afternoon and they arrived Saturday - very impressed!

The medium was indeed a tad snug, but the large is perfect. It's a lovely and reassuringly heavy soft shell jacket. I'm a bit miffed that I'm in a large, after losing stacks of weight, but hey, it's only a label!

View attachment 81898
Thanks, I’ve ordered XL. I want it to be loose enough for layers underneath ?