Any Vegetarians or Vegans who ride?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
You're not obliged to justify your choices, but it might help the rest of the world understand your decisions if you chose to respond to questions like this and explain why male chicks are less important than adult chickens bred for meat :D

excuse me but where and.. where did i say male chicks are less important?????

my comment was The eggs we eat are free range and the male one do not go to slaughter .

..one of my liveries give us the eggs

from her private 6 pedigree free range chickens any chicks male or female she does breed get sold to........................ OTHER BREEDERS to breed from. They are pedigree chickens they are not sold for slaughter.

Her chickens have just won 3 first 2 2nd 1 third she has eggs to sell to help pay for their food. occasionally she will breed chicks to sell to private collectors:D

ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS and should be treated with respect while it is living and killed humanely if that is its destination

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
Leviathan, I was aiming that generally at those who eat shop bought eggs, whether they be free range or not, where the destination of the male chicks is an untimely death. In your case, all you had to do was make that point, and in my head that little light that was flashing up saying *naive, ill-informed poster* stops flashing regarding that comment. Not that it matters what I think of your opinion, of course.

This one, on the other hand, set off alarm bells:

ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS and should be treated with respect while it is living and killed humanely if that is its destination

Pray tell me, what life do you know of, whose ultimate destination is not death? :D

But, naturally I agree with the statement, pedancy aside.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I was referring to animals bred for human consumption.

Should be kept in decent pastures , whether its pigs/ cattle/chickens what ever.

Anyway we are digressing away from the topic of this thread . Which is who is vege and rides.

I have said all I want to say got more important things to get on with and that's caring for my liveries.:)

debsey1

Visit site
To all of you that have posted on this thread; if we all had to become vegetarians what do you think would become of the countryside? What would become of our dairy and beef cattle, our sheep, pigs? Okay, our dairy cows for us to consume the milk would have to produce a calf, what happens to the calf after? Our sheep can be kept for its wool but will have to be replaced eventually. That means they will have to produce a lamb ( they usually have two or sometimes three) what will happen to the surplus?

Beef cattle, do we produce these magnificent creatures just for their skins (leather)?

Pigs, what will become of them?

If we all become vegetarians I dread to think what will happen to our beautiful countryside and the livestock that graze it.

Sheep

Visit site
To all of you that have posted on this thread; if we all had to become vegetarians what do you think would become of the countryside? ...

If we all become vegetarians I dread to think what will happen to our beautiful countryside and the livestock that graze it.

This kind of post really frustrates me. Who said anything about making everybody become a vegetarian? Grow up. This is not what this thread is about.

debsey1

Visit site
This kind of post really frustrates me. Who said anything about making everybody become a vegetarian? Grow up. This is not what this thread is about.

Obviously I can tell you are very agitated and frustrated, this is what happens when a post like this one is aired for debate, you don't have to be rude. For a start, I didn't say anything about 'making' everybody become a vegetarian.

I don't care whether you are a vegetarian or not, however there are some very strong views on here about it and we are all entitled to our opinion even if you disagree with it.

The reason I posted such a post is because some of the posters absolutely abhor anyone else eating meat/killing livestock. My post is a thought provoking question.....thats all

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
To all of you that have posted on this thread; if we all had to become vegetarians what do you think would become of the countryside? What would become of our dairy and beef cattle, our sheep, pigs? Okay, our dairy cows for us to consume the milk would have to produce a calf, what happens to the calf after? Our sheep can be kept for its wool but will have to be replaced eventually. That means they will have to produce a lamb ( they usually have two or sometimes three) what will happen to the surplus?

Beef cattle, do we produce these magnificent creatures just for their skins (leather)?

You don't get to see many of our country's pigs anyway. They're shut inside and battery farmed.

Sheep

Visit site
Obviously I can tell you are very agitated and frustrated, this is what happens when a post like this one is aired for debate, you don't have to be rude. For a start, I didn't say anything about 'making' everybody become a vegetarian.

I don't care whether you are a vegetarian or not, however there are some very strong views on here about it and we are all entitled to our opinion even if you disagree with it.

The reason I posted such a post is because some of the posters absolutely abhor anyone else eating meat/killing livestock. My post is a thought provoking question.....thats all

Anyone who thinks that they can change the world by making everybody become a vegetarian has their head in the clouds. Humans have evolved to have an omnivorous diet.. personally I have no problem with others eating meat; one of my biggest pet hates is people inflicting their restrictive* views on others.

*Not necessarily wrong views; I'd hate to be preached at to become veggie as much as I'd hate to be preached at to become a meat eater, a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim, a Communist, a Tory etc etc etc..

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

I would never suggest we all become vegetarian. However, I would like to see a huge reduction in meat consumption so that those animals left can have more space and quality of life. To me I don't see the point of the life of millions of mass produced chickens confined in tiny cages or pens, or pigs confined in tiny spaces and packed into lorries as tightly as they can get them and then shipped to an abbatoir where they get poked and hit and have cigarettes stubbed out on them. What is the point in such a life? And yes, I do blame the low prices and supermarket pressures for this situation. Meat should be a rare treat, not something that some people have more than once a day. I also think that those who eat meat should be able to kill it themselves. I don't mean literally, but they should truthfully be able to do the deed.

Last edited:

Tonty Tont

Visit site
I am 15, and a vegetarian for moral reasons.

I am not a vegan, because I am already underweight and my mum simply would not allow it.

I use leather tack, because the saddle was second hand from the first pony that I loaned and fits Tont beautifully.

I only eat eggs that have come from a farmer that my dad knows - his chickens are so free range they are often seen walking down his lane. The only dairy I eat is cheese.

I don't preach to others about eating meat, and from what I have seen on this thread, it is the meat eaters who are the most judgemental.

ABC

Visit site
I keep my own chickens for eggs and milk I get from the local dairy farm, where they also keep there males calves until they 2years old. Yes, then they are slaughtered, but I would rather this than buy tesco/asda milk.

Noone on this thread has suggested everyone become vegetarian.

Personally I think we would be better off if eventually cows/sheep/pigs etc became extinct, because ultimately, there bred to die. Imagine, being born so you can be killed.

I also find a lot, but not all of meat eaters really arrogant. It is MY choice to become vegetarian. Yes, it make not make a difference on a global scale, but why should I compromise MY beliefs/morals to fit in with the crowd?

I don't know why people think they are above all others, we're not. We're not superior. How many people do you know who can fly? Noone. Birds can. How many people do you know can burrow tunnels underground, without any mechanical aid? Not many, I'd say, yet rabbits/moles/etc can.

Intelligence to us, is different to intelligence in the animal world. We can't do what a lot of animals can do, so who's the "superior" one now? Because I'd say they are. They have evolved to live their life without destroying the planet. Humans come along and have taken over.

I personally believe the planet is better off without us.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there, not even sure if it makes sense or has any revelance :D

debsey1

Visit site
Anyone who thinks that they can change the world by making everybody become a vegetarian has their head in the clouds. Humans have evolved to have an omnivorous diet.. personally I have no problem with others eating meat; one of my biggest pet hates is people inflicting their restrictive* views on others.

*Not necessarily wrong views; I'd hate to be preached at to become veggie as much as I'd hate to be preached at to become a meat eater, a Hindu, a Christian, a Muslim, a Communist, a Tory etc etc etc..

I quite agree............

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I too would never think of trying to change someones view on vege. As I said earlier chacun a son goute . My husband is meat eater I would never try to inflict my views onto him.
What I hate is when people come up to me and say come on try this bit on meat or stupid comments like well you eat fruit that was living. Or your a weirdo etc I heard it all before . My life i do with it what i want

Everyone lives their life the way they want to. If someone wants to change that's different. No one should make someone feel bad about eating or not eating meat. Most of my friends eat meat tho i have some who are vege.

Some dont like the look of meat some the taste. One said even if it it looks like meat i wont have it ....

I don't care if it looks or even taste like meat as long as it isn't.

So accept we are all different like different things and get on life .

BlackRider

Visit site
I have a leather saddle, but mainly because my chap is a XXW and a nightmare fit, I hadn't seen any decent bridles that weren't leather, as we were doing county level showing I couldn't have something that didn't look good.

Will def check out the co's you posted though - thank you :)