Any views on feeding seaweed supplement?

mytwofriends

Visit site
Some friends were raving about using a seaweed supp in their horses feeds. Good idea/not a good idea/waste of money? Any opinions?! Thanks!

trendybraincell

Visit site
I feed the welsh cob seaweed, he look excellent on it and its very reasonably priced.

But why are you thinking of feeding it?

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I think it's fabulous. It is cheap and after using every other expensive hoof supplement, I had this recommended to me. I have two TBs with fairly poor feet, however one is completely unshod and the other is only shod on the front. It really does get feet growing and is far better than some of the expensive stuff......I would highly recommend it.

abbieandfiona

Visit site
I used to feed it as its cheap and helped feet and coat however as she is on new stuff cant mix it with the other vet supplement when she comes off that def back onto seaweed.

mytwofriends

Visit site
I feed the welsh cob seaweed, he look excellent on it and its very reasonably priced.

But why are you thinking of feeding it?

I wasn't thinking of using it at all but we were having a discussion about supplements in general and our YO mentioned she used it for several of her horses mainly for wellbeing - coats, hooves etc. Another livery agreed, and it got me wondering whether I should give it a go on my boys. :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
I wasn't thinking of using it at all but we were having a discussion about supplements in general and our YO mentioned she used it for several of her horses mainly for wellbeing - coats, hooves etc. Another livery agreed, and it got me wondering whether I should give it a go on my boys. :)

ah right I see :) I picked it up via a few showing friends who feed it for coat condition, the Welsh Cob was getting very scurfy/itchy and has always had poor feet despite being given a balancer. So I introduced seaweed and I now have a very shiny, virtually scurfy free pony with much stronger feet :D

eggs

Visit site
Many years ago seaweed seemed to be the only supplement available and we all fred it. Never seemed to do any harm.

I guess it is a good source of iodine.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Its cheap enough to pick up and we feed Kelly on it no problem...
However, Pebbles gets the runs from it....!!

But that's just her lol, most horses seem to feed on it fine and it seems to give them a boost - certainly doesn't do any harm :)
We also stick some garlic in for fly repellant, and cider vinegar for hoof circulation - how far any of these things go to actually make a difference, I don't know...but worth a go??! :)

psychick82

Visit site
sorry for jumping in on your thread, but how much would you have to feed a big 16hh warmblood? do you guys just put a small handful in your horses regular feed?
gemma

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Probably a little scoopful? Or maybe even one and a half. They generally come with a little scoop and we give ours 1 scoopful (including the 16.2 before we realised it affected her! :p) but she isn't chunky x