Anybody else's horses behaving daft at the mo??

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Just wondering really.........

Rode with friend this morning (she rode one of mine); they're normally quite sensible cobby types. This morning they were just downright stooopid. Traddie was being a proper fool, spooked at some poor bloke walking his dogs, then decided that Nope, this guy was definitely an alien from Mars, and then spun and hooned back down the road snorting and high-stepping.

Then later on, in canter, both suddenly realised hey ho, let's pretend we're on the starting line at Cheltenham, and whoosh, off we went at full lick, throwing in a buck or two and nearly unseating us both.

Silly things!

There's nothing different in their routine, or feeding.

Anyone else's??

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Sounds like grass to me!!!
Where I am it's still coming through....I was wandering around in a polo shirt today, it was so mild.
Moses is full of himself as well, not sure how he would be under saddle as he has had a week off as he was slightly lame last week.

Cold and dry would be so much better then mild and soggy.

Madam Min

Visit site
My mare has been very willing for a change!! Keep thinking where is Chloekins +what have you done with her? A dressage diva seems to have taken up residence!! Hope she sticks around till after next month's dressage comp! !!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Oh yes, riding has been hair raising over the last 2 week's. Think of sitting on a pogo stick and then that's what I've been doing :p

SadKen

Visit site
Yep, I just put on another thread that mine is being a royal pain in the botty at the moment. She's normally very good and was a dope in the summer when out 24/7, but right now I could happily smack her for being so silly. I won't, because it's pointless, so I will just grumble and deny her treats while girding my loins to get through the next few weeks.

By the bye, scared horses don't run away with their ears pricked... My girl is well and truly rumbled!

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
My mare usually falls asleep when I groom her but the past few days she has wanting to audition for the Spanish Riding School. Granted she is too well mannered to get very high!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Love is in the air with my lot, behaving under saddle, but I have my old TB and baby cob in for the night, to give them a break from the mud, it's now after 11pm and I'm going to have to go check them, cos TB is still shouting for his WB mare in the field, she is shouting from the field, not good when we now have neighbors, the cattle are also unsettled and calling, having escaped once tonight

JoClark

Visit site
Not just me then. Mine is fine schooling but hacking at the mo, flying sideways at a wheelbarrow 😁 he is always pretty good at waiting for me when to let him go even on stretches we usually canter/gallop however turned the corner and ping, diving every way possible including up before trying to gallop, so I made him steady canter until he was fully listening then he could have some fun. 😳

MrsNorris

Visit site
Yeah, my super laidback cob has turned into a turbo cob the last week. It's great for me as he doesn't misbehave, just gets way more enthusiastic, but the oher girls on the yard are having problems with their more flighty beasties!! It's the grass with us, we have an ungrazed field which they've been on for a week or so, just 5 or 6 hours a day but its obviously enough to effect them..

Ella19

Visit site
Yes mine was a loony Thursday night, bending right on both reins, strong as hell! Gave up schooling and jumped instead, popped a 3ft oxer to back her off and she leapt it at 4ft! Eek!

Yesterday took her on a 3hr hack, she was off her head. Jogging (I don't do jogging full stop) and bombing off in canter with her head up and mouth open wide. Just wanted to cry and we walked the rest of the hack. Its definitely the grass, its still growing. Glad I'm not alone!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Four of ours were having a mad moment on Tuesday. Bucking, snorting, galloping, rearing, my little NF thought she was an Arab, one of our old, normally slow Andalusians was bucking her head of and galloping about!

Don't know what's the matter with them! ;)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Both mares in season & being VERY silly yesterday. The arab chucked a load of very elegant bucks in & Camilla had a few impatient rears. Neither of these is unusual, but they were both much more enthusiastic!

pennyturner

Visit site
This morning (I put it down to all the rain overnight) they were a field full of loons.

One of our geldings (field ornament following smashed up shoulder 4 years ago) was throwing himself into the air, rearing and hooleying about like a bronking mustang. Honestly, there didn't look to be too much wrong with him, and I suspect he needs work - but it would have taken a brave man to saddle him up!

Noodles_3

Visit site
Yes! The pony is usually such a lazy thing but yesterday he was right on one! Every trot we did turned into a race with his hacking friend, he was like a little turbo cob. He was also spinning me everywhere and trying to nap, wouldn't stand still or anything! So Impatient and just had no manners what so ever!

Jericho

Visit site
Our new pony hasn't put a hoof out of place for the four weeks we have had him but yesterday he bucked (which supposedly he doesn't do!) 3 times and had daughter off - sigh - He isn't at all settled today either so something is amiss with him. Hope it is just a one off...

BBP

Visit site
Mine is wild!! He's usually sparky and bright but the last two days he has been head between the knees broncing, leading in and out he has been rearing and biting and performing airs above the ground. Usually a good hoolie in the arena sorts him out when he's in this mood but despite a mad half hour this morning when I brought him in this afternoon (early to save the fields) he was leaping and shaking and staring into the distance snorting. I'll have to book a trip to the gallops soon or he will lose the plot!

pixie

Visit site
I'm absolutely mortified. My little fat welshy (who is naughty alone, but not dangerous) who is usually an angel when out in company decided that he would deck my livery who was riding him (with her sharer on her horse, who he adores). The little ****** put his head straight between his front legs and just bucked her off. Little ****. Good on her though, she got straight back on and made him behave for the rest of the ride. I feel so bloody guilty now though :(

w1bbler

Visit site
My 26yr old, mostly retired, was a complete t** yesterday. My riding horse is lame & I'm missing lessons, so decided to take him on lesson with oh.
Instructor was v impressed with his "Aires above ground" & his piaffe. Shame we were only trying to leg yield in walk!