Anybody else's horses gone crackers?

Bermuda

Visit site
Yes my horse is definitely feeling the change in weather and the Autumn flush of grass, buckets are now terrifying and tractors are out to get us!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
First lesson w. new instructor, hunt went past in the distance but it was enough to set someone off into a snorting passaging moron! I find it funny but not the best way to spend an hour and my hard earned cash! Any canters out on hack end up with danger snorts at the mo..... always makes me laugh.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As of this morning, I can join in with this club. My saintly Tammy launched most unexpectedly into a leap/plunge/buck as we were trotting on the road today. I've only just got clearance from the vet to trot her, and I sent her on in a good forward working trot which soon became more of a tanking off and then the leap. My accompanying ninja cyclist said it was most impressive :oops:.
I had time to think 'ThankgodI'mwearingthenairjacket' but she didn't repeat the manoeuvre and I was able to pick up and carry on. Having got it out of her system, she reverted to saintly Tammy for the rest of the ride.
Here she is back home after the hack, and looking deceptively innocent.

WTF7gKz.jpg

The late chesnut git would have been proud of her stunt, but he would have carried on until I was on the floor. However, coping with his antics over the 24 years that I owned him has helped me to sit to the unexpected, so thanks, LCG, I owe you one.

Last edited:

AGray825

Visit site
My mare is being a little horror at the moment, cantering full speed, evading all contact, pulling dirty stops in front of jumps.... everything she can think of to make working her hell. On the ground though, she's as lovely as ever.
I know what it is now though.... it's season time and all she now cares about is the boys. Hopefully it's all over by the time next week's lesson comes about or else I'm getting my instructor to ride her!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine is an idiot as well. Completely over the top behaviour and on edge all the time. Shes young, green and feeling well and that combined with a yard move and change of owner was bound to unsettle her. But theres definitely something in the air at the minute!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I think I've sussed the reason for Tammy's blip yesterday. Her musculature behind is currently still asymmetric after a few issues, and my lovely saddle fitter has done a great job of flocking her saddle and shimming her mattes correction numnah to suit her. However, saddle fitter also suggested that I girth her tightly to additionally minimise saddle slip. I think that Tammy disapproves of this. Today I went out with the girth at her normal looser fit (up just one hole after mounting, rather than three) and she was much happier. Also, the saddle stayed level, so win, win. I was a bit concerned that if she did perform did another leap that having a looser girth wasn't the greatest idea :oops:, but we seem to be all good again (for now, at least).

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
That's interesting TP - Dabs hates a girth done up too snug. He never bucks, but just goes overly stuffy. His saddle never moves but I do get people commenting that my girth looks loose quite often.

Chuckieee

Visit site
I thought it was just mine - and I thought it was a MARE thing. It clearly is not but why on earth now. I get this EVERY year and I also get it coming out of winter.

Must be linked to the change in coat but why?

Alibear

Visit site
Yep I had my first unscheduled dismount in many years on Friday, it highlighted just how much I need to go on a diet, judging by the dent I left in the arena surface.
Hack on Sunday was very well behaved until the c word was suggested then bouncing ensued, although we were all ok and an nice c was had in the end.
Just to keep me on track she's now off to boot camp next week.

shirl62

Visit site
Mags and I were on a wee hack last week . Lennon and I were at the front with Mags and Apple following. We had just passed the scary waterfall which was gushing a bit due to the amount of rain, but we started singing and all was good. We were just about to turn a little corner when a chocolate lab appeared with a big stick in his mouth...simultaneously both did an about turn and ran for their lives....We managed to stop them and turned back to continue on our hack. The dogs owner appeared and we passed with no more fuss...kind off...They are used to dogs at the stables..jack russels, labs and spaniels. I think Lennon said to Apple '' I think that is a gun in that dog's mouth...run Apple run....'' lol

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've just bought another mare! (well, ONE horse is never enough is it??).

Put her in with little five-year-old, they're bonding nicely (TOO bleddi well, methinks problems coming from it, oh flip!).

Anyway, young'un is now in season! Thinks her new field-companion is a little boy instead of a little girl! Behaving with as much decoram as a Hooker in a Marine Camp............ old boy meanwhile is trotting round with a gleam in his eye with his tackle brought downstairs and at the ready.

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't!