Anybody else's mares gone MENTAL!?

caitlineloise

Visit site
Breeze was such a cow bag today!

Caught her, she was fine, happily walking along, then she started walking a bit faster than usual. And then I knew something was coming! (She normally walks like a right dobbin, not exactly TBish!:p)

So reassured her and asked her to walk on, to which she stands staring at me in racehorse mode, making herself look about 18hh. Then she proceeds to rear at me, then spin, causing me to have to let go (Only had the normal lead rope on and don't fancy getting kicked in the head) Then p****s off at full gallop bucking. She can be such a WITCH. Proper marish mare!

My friend then come's as she is having a lesson with her, and is determined she will get her in. (I obviously was going to go back and take head collar off when she'd got it out of her system, but would just then of left her) My friend had the lungeline, and in exactly the same place she did it again, but this time, REALLY exploded! She managed to hang on, get her out, and then she proceeded in being a pig being groomed and tacked up.

Sorry about the really long story! Haha, Got a bit carried away there.

But two questions! :)

1. Would you have tried to hang on in my situation?

2. Have your mare's gone a bit crazy lately, or is it just my head case?!

Thanks!

gonebananas

Visit site
I'd have held onto an extent but let go if she got too bad but I would deffo have gone straight back out after her and brought her in and made her behave.
Mine are alright at the moment but I must say they all did have a mad moment last saturday whilst I was trying to catch one, they promptly started to gallop and tear round the field set off by my mischevious PBA filly :rolleyes: chased round half an hour finally caught the one I wanted and they then looked at me like ok what you gone and done that for, turned around and siddled off....horses wonderful aren't they!! Spring is in the air!!

jadelovescassie

Visit site
I wouldn't say my mare has gone quite as mental as yours haha. BUT she has become a little cow in the last few weeks!

Today I got up to the yard to discover she had been brought into her stable because she had been jumping out of her field all day... sometimes I think when she is in season she does this and continues it every day for about a week... VERY ANNOYING lol!

She has also been bucking when I ride a bit more than usual and being a general nutter who is spooking at everything that moves or breaths or makes a tiny noise and then running sideways to get as far away from it as she can!

MARES HEY!

GypsyGirl

Visit site
Ohhh it's funny that you mentioned this.. My mares been like it for a couple of weeks now. They all live out so first thing in the morning there tethered to their individual feeding posts.. A couple of weeks ago M decided that she wasn't going to wait to be untied .. Instead she's going to pull up..bash her head on the feeding post snap the bailing twine then run off down the field with her head collar and lead rope dragging.

Now when i walk her up i turn her away from the other horses make her stand and then take the head collar off .. She turns around and flies off down the field while I'm trying to tell her "walkinggggg".. Today she done it and nearly slipped over in the mud..

Now yesturday I went up there .. Had a fright as turns out that she had an absess on her neck that burst .. So 2nd vet visit in three weeks (one for her head, one for the absess) so she's now on antibiotics and bute.

I turn up today she's still full of herself .. After she ran off after her breakfast I went to the feed shop.. Come back get her in so I can hose and clean the absess.. As soon as that's finished I lead her back up again .. Make her stand .. Straight away she's off again this time bucking and rearing and jumping about in mid air.. The first time I seen her buck and they are huge!

So yeah M has been like it aswell lol. Typical tb mare atm.

And another answer to your question, i would of let go aswe. These horses are big strong animals and will deffo do some harm if they were rearing above head level etc.

Mares aye!! I've never had a gelding before! Also M is moulting now aswell so I'm putting it down to 1, being hormonal and 2, she's got an absess and a splint across her head.. Great! Vet did say yesturday though that she's a very sweet mare (when she was rubbing her nose all over his nice clean shirt) lol.

TicTac

Visit site
Phew, thought it was just my ' beloved' testing my patients lol

Have to be honest though, I never have any problems catching or leading her but she has become such a madame on the lunge, bucking, snorting and rearing I was beginning to think she had a problem with her back again ( Had a ks operation 6 months ago) but there is definitely no problem there, so I guess she just feeling the hint of spring in the air!

diamondgeezer

Visit site
I dont think its a mare thing. my 2 1/2 yr old gelding has been exactly like your mare. On and off for the last 10 days.

this hasn't been helped that i have had a virus that given me headaches, cold sweats, shaking and dizzyness. Have managed to keep hold but he too was rearing landing pooring out at me and rearing again. Had to get friend to come and clip another rope onto otherside and he was still quite a handfull.

I think its the weather confusing them!! hang on in there i'm sure we will all come through this mad patch!!

libertylou

Visit site
Nope you are not alone! Libby can be a real witch at times. Only a few weeks ago she had be in the corner of the stable attempting to kick me.... She missed :rolleyes: The joys of mares!!! As for bringing her in- we have a new rule! The 10 minute rule- if she doesn't allow me to catch her within 10 minutes- she stays out! No dinner, no treats and no nice cosy bed! And since that rule has been enforced she is much better!!! :)

Katkin

Visit site
Have we all forgotten that they are all horses and not human! Get a grip folks, overall if you are happy with your horses surely a little bit of spring madness is to be expected?

ThePony

Visit site
Have we all forgotten that they are all horses and not human! Get a grip folks, overall if you are happy with your horses surely a little bit of spring madness is to be expected?

I don't expect them to be human (they are much better!!), but yes mine is being a particular arse atm. Super stubbon yest in our lesson (friends mare was a pig too). I think the grass starting to come through, more light and a bit less cold and they are all feeling a bit well in themselves!!! More work me thinks is the best way forwards!

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
Yep another one here with a temperamental filly :rolleyes: And my loan mare is getting rather vocal too when it comes to feed time ;)

Won't be long before the Spring grass is coming through properly and they settle down a bit *sigh*

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yeah, when I took Seren out for a solo hack on Monday morning this week she was a bit of a moose! I had a nice day off, sadly filled with poo picking :rolleyes:
She was spooky and went to spin round, I am not sure she has ever actually done this in all our years together, it was at some standing water in a field btw!
She was on one for the ride then, she usually has the slowest walk but she was off on one after that, which came very early on I might add...

Beatrice5

Visit site
Yep mine's a little sparkly at the moment and very sky bound most of the time - even decided to sideways mount the gelding biting his neck yesterday as if she were a stallion - must be hormones!

Amusing to watch in field but trashing what little bits of green were left :(

Don't fancy starting to bring her back into work yet as think she may turn into a bronco so I'll wait till the field dries up and ride her in their first ( softer landing )

My gelding is much more sensible as is the filly so I blame hormones :D

diet2ride

Visit site
Full moon was on 18th febuary. I can usually tell when it's full moon just by the way horses on the yard play up a bit more and everyone can be a little bit Aggy

My boy NAS can be naughty on the lunge, once he starts getting fitter, at the moment he,s a diamond listening to all the aids. I know though that when he gets a bit fitter, a spark will go off and he,ll go all out to try and push it with me.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Have we all forgotten that they are all horses and not human!

Er, no, I don't think any of us have forgotten that small detail

Get a grip folks, overall if you are happy with your horses surely a little bit of spring madness is to be expected?

Bit of an over reaction or what eh? :rolleyes:

This post was to me just a light hearted look at our springy mares, end of, we have not forgotten the facts...

Ashtink

Visit site
My mare has gone mental also! she bronked me off last week and galloped home without me. no before falling ina ditch! total nitemare! shes also been very fidgety when shes tied up and wont let me groom her belly. Dont know if spring is in the air or what but its her first season of the year ggrrr. :mad:

Beatrice5

Visit site
Anyone tried these mare specific suppliments - Do they work and do we all need to take out shares in the company ;)

Maybe a neck strap will be a good idea if they are all sky bound LOL ( I will if you will )

Shall we compare injuries :D