Anybody else's ponies shivering?!

Undecided

Visit site
Went to the yard tonight and poor Rio was standing there shivering! He already had a lightweight sheet, 345g stable rug and a heavy turnout rug on and between the three boys out 24/7 in that field we put out 3 haynets a day, more than enough for them as there is always lots left over. Anybody elese's ponies feeling the cold or is mine just very wimpy? ;)

Spottyappy

Visit site
My hardy(not!) welsh d was really cold when we went at at 9pm to check ours. The raw wind,easterly direction, was whipping in her stable, and making it a wind tunnel. So,as well as her medium weight rug which she had on,I stuck a lightweight one on top of that.
The big clipped lad was fine,but his box is corner one and pretty sheltered.

Liath

Visit site
My ISH was out all day in a 180g T/O- it was minus 2 here, and is in tonight in a 200g stable with no neck on- went down to -0.8 in his stable last night (middle stable in an american barn open both ends!) and I'd expect the same tonight, but he was still plenty warm enough this morning.

I have a theory that the more layers/weight goes on, the more they feel the cold since I had a horse that just seemed to get colder the more layers I put on - just my theory mind you, and not meant as a criticism of anyone else's ways- so I tend to under rug rather than over rug these days and the boy always seems warm enough to me and the yard staff report every day that he's plenty warm enough first thing in the morning when they check him.

Purple18

Visit site
my mare has a heayweight on only because she was quite heavily rugged before i brought her and she shivers if left without plus she really fine coated and pretty wimpy :p the stables have a wind tunnel right through aswell which doesn't help.

Last edited:

kellybee

Visit site
I have a theory that the more layers/weight goes on, the more they feel the cold since I had a horse that just seemed to get colder the more layers I put on - just my theory mind you, and not meant as a criticism of anyone else's ways

^this^

I think by putting too much weight on you flatten the hairs that trap warm air. Mine seem to do better in a 300g which doesn't physically weigh a lot than a few old 200g's.I know a lady who had a fine little pony living out in so many rugs she could barely move, and thus she was still shivering. I've put a fleece under my two boys' stable rugs tonight just in case but my stables are pretty much indoor and the doors are south facing so the wind doesn't blow through when it's cold.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Mine is in a lightweight stable rug and was out in a light-medium weight turnout. I was going to leave him in a fleece - but felt a little mean!

He is an ex-wil native pony though - so hardy!

Boysy

Visit site
I only had one shivering yesterday, had a prob all day trying to warm him up and failing, upped to 400g in the late afternoon and he recovered quickly so he was in that last night then 180g today and back up to the 400g tonight.

Oh and he's a hardy well hard native pony so it be told - LOL!

I think his problem is as soon as he feels cold he tends to stand still whereas my others start hoolying around and playing to warm up, he'd rather poke his bum in a bush and stand there dejected until a human slave rescues him......

_daisy_

Visit site
1 of mine was today. She had a lightweight sheet, lightweight stable and heavy 400g full neck turnout on so put her an extra 200g full neck turnout under aswell. She was warm tonight

Undecided

Visit site
He is fully clipped, last done a week ago so there is no hair to flatten! He's managed fine all winter, I think the wind really got to him today and the YO decided to cut the hedges down over the weekend so no windbreaker for them :(

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
My oldie was toasty in his 240g stable rug and thick paper bed :D

My coblet is turned out and wearing about 600gs in two layers and despite having a hunter clip was roasty toasty :)

The wimpy TB was shivering so he got a heavier rug on and a warm mash :D

Elsiecat

Visit site
Ditto moomin! My 3 are out. Welshie in a no fill T/O, tb in a thin fleece with a medium T/O on top and other tb who's underweight at the moment in a heavyweight T/O with neck.

I'm honestly shocked at how many layers people put on!

Moomin1

Visit site
Ditto moomin! My 3 are out. Welshie in a no fill T/O, tb in a thin fleece with a medium T/O on top and other tb who's underweight at the moment in a heavyweight T/O with neck.

I'm honestly shocked at how many layers people put on!

My girl is a warmblood, and she has been naked every day, apart from last night when she had a fleece on. She was warm as toast when I left this evening.

The more layers people put on, the less able a horse is to regulate it's body temp, and they aren't able to withstand changes in temp as well.

Ginger Bear

Visit site
My tb is in 200g under rug with neck with a heavy weight over the top, mums tb is in the same.. Ponio was in 200g with neck but wasn't very warm this morning so he's got a light quilt underneath tomight.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Surprisingly no, more surprisingly as I just clipped her out last week and she is out 24/7 :eek: the first really cold day I brought her in expecting her to be cold as I was frozen, but she was toastie warm under her rug.

shadowboy

Visit site
When I went up yesterday morning mine had been digging in his bed so I know he was cold. He'd had a 175grm standard neck on but I put a combo fleece on underneath last night :)

Archangel

Visit site
the YO decided to cut the hedges down over the weekend so no windbreaker for them :(

Naughty YO. All hedges should be cut between Sept and end Feb.

I am never buying a Horseware rug again, my mare's new Rambo (£167) is useless, she is back in her 10 year old Rhino which still has nice plump filling. Horseware, you are making crap rugs now.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tiny Fuzzy was not amused last night.
She'd been mudplugging/truffle hunting in the soggy-bog corner of the paddock at some point during the day - when I got to the yard after work her legs had lovely frozen mud-icicles hanging & clanking on them :D

HF is fine & warm while being out 24/7. Usually in a 200g with a hood, I dragged out the stormbuster on Sunday night & popped that on instead, as the lad had been losing coat a fair bit over the past fortnight.
He's toasty comfortably warm last night & this morning :)
Will change back tomorrow when the wind drops a bit :)

Slave2Magic

Visit site
My mare doesn't grow a thick coat and is in a 100g turnout. In dry and cold weather they shouldn't be shivering? Horses heat up from the inside through forage. I'd be feeding more hay not upping rugs.

fuze

Visit site
My cob was out nakey 6.30-5.30, and in nakey for the night. He still has clip lines, and still wasn't shivvering :eek:

flying solo

Visit site
Well my pony who lost loads of weight quickly due to being stressed (hates the stable, ran off his love handles in 3 days of being stabled) is currently out in 4 rugs! 3 x 200g and a 350g he is just toastie under all that. Any less he gets really tucked up and looks like a cruelty case, which I can assure you he's not. This year I can't wait for spring grass!

Bay TB

Visit site
My boy is fully clipped and in his 100g PE trio with 200g liner at the moment. As it was soo cold last night I checked to see if he needed his heavier liner but he seemed absolutely fine so left him as he was.
He also came in from the field with iced mud clinkers on his fetlocks and the flippin hose and outside tap had frozen solid.
Is spring ever going to arrive this year? Can't wait for some grass to grow so they can go out 24/7.

wiglet

Visit site
I never layer rugs as a rule but last night the wind was so raw and blowing into my stable that I decided to add an under-rug with neck cover (she hates neck covers) to my girls usual MW stable rug. This morning she showed me her appreciation by presenting me with the neck cover absolutely caked in poo. Guess I won't be using that again...