Anybody ever had a border collie clipped???

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I have two very hairy and fluffy red and white border collies and i'm constantly hoovering up after them even though i brush them every day. It doesn't bother mr but m
confused.gif
y OH wants to take them to the poodle parlour and get them clipped but I think they would look daft. Has anyone out there ever had this done? Do you think it would be cruel?

Tia

Visit site
My collies are clipped here in the summer time. We get horrendously hot summers and the theory regarding a collie's coat working for both hot and cold temperatures just does not work over here. My old dog got heat exhaustion a few times last year but after clipping her - she was perfect for the rest of the summer.

This year she also suffered a bout of heat exhaustion - I cooled her down and as soon as she was dry I clipped her.....again she has survived another summer.

She actually looked very smart clipped out.

I also clipped my Springer X collie but I only took her ruff and her tummy off.....again it worked well and she still looked lovely.

spike123

Visit site
I have had my collie clipped every summer too.I got sick to death of hoovering up hair and like you constantly brushing my dog.However next year I am planning on having his underhair removed.This basically shortens the coat and stops them moulting so the same effect is achieved without the dog looking like he has been to the poodle parlour.

serena2005

Visit site
i was thinking of clipping my collie, but i didnt know wether she would look stupid!
her hair is so long i have to get on my hands and knees with rubber gloves on scraping the hair out coz it weaves itself in! GGGRRR

has anyone got pics of their clipped collies!? would love to see them!

JaneMBE

Visit site
we did clip and snip my collie. she looked stupid for a week while we got used to her lol.

Now she looks ok, but thinner. bloody hairs! It grows back nicely
laugh.gif

Do it! I have photos but as I am under the influence of Jack Dee (ooooh yes) I can't possibly find them!!!!!

DiNorth

Visit site
I had a rough x border collie. no matter how much we groomed him the thicker it got & became matted like cotten wool close to his skin. we had him clipped through the summer & he was much happier. though he did look funny for 1st couple of days, but rather that than him be uncomfortable.
Diane