Anybody ever had a professional compete their horse for them?

opinionuk

Visit site
I'm thinking about asking a professional to compete my young horse for me next season, has anybody done this and has an idea of the price?

ihatework

Visit site
Yes, I have a feeling I provided you with details before, but never got a response.
General cost would be £120-200pw depending on the pro & set up. Some will charge a riding fee on top. Most will add diesel on.

opinionuk

Visit site
I've been given a schooling livery fee which is very reasonable I thought considering the person it is!
I have come to the conclusion that my boy would be better with a professional to learn the ropes then I'd hopefully do a few events on him before the seasons out, well that's the plan :)

splash30

Visit site
Yes, they compete him at shows but he stays at home with me, I do all the producing and they do the ring part as I hate it, it works really well and a good partnership with some fab results this season.

Elvis

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? What discipline are you hoping your horse will do? And would you want to keep the horse at your yard?

opinionuk

Visit site
Where abouts are you based? What discipline are you hoping your horse will do? And would you want to keep the horse at your yard?

Hi,

I'm looking for the horse to start BE Eventing, he has done 1 BE90 with his previous owner successfully but needs work with his confidence in SJ/XC, he needs the security of his rider, not a nasty bone in his body just green and anxious.

I'm based in Herefordshire, I'd be open to both options, but probably keep at my yard as I wouldn't have anything to ride.

burtie

Visit site
I did it a few years back when I realised my mare was more talented than me and I wasn't as brave as I thought. She would stay with him for a few months at a time coming back to me for breaks. She loved it, was out at shows most weekends from Thursday to Sunday. She seemed to really enjoy it. She went to all the show centres over the South of England and I followed as an owner. She competed at Wales and West, Pycombe, Vicarage Farm and even Hickstead and many others. She won with him at many of these shows including winning a class at Hickstead with around 150 people in it. That Rosette has pride of place! She came back a confident and fairly straightforward schoolmistress and after having a foal went on to compete with my friends then 16 year old daughter giving her a first taste of affiliated.

opinionuk

Visit site
That's the sort of thing that I am looking for, so that in time I will have a confident schoolmaster for me to pop and do a few BE90 and BE100 on, I have no aspirations to do anything higher than that.
My gelding is way more talented than me and really bright but I don't want to sell him as he has a temperament to die for and is such a sweetheart but he will be wasted and probably ruined in my hands! he needs a good start in his education with a professional then hopefully will come back to me a braver, better educated horse, what sort of cost did you pay if you don't mind me asking, pm if you don't want to discuss here, I have had a price for schooling but not competing.

wench

Visit site
You'd probably better off sending horse off to the pros yard for a month or so before the event, they can get used to the horse then!

opinionuk

Visit site
yes I would do that, he's a sensitive thing, wouldn't be fair on him to have a new rider on him then expect him to go around his 2nd BE event I think it would terrify him! he's not established enough for that.

ihatework

Visit site
Well I can wholeheartedly recommend the person I PMd you about before. 101% trustworthy and she doesn't charge additional riding fee on top of her competition/schooling livery rate.

Elvis

Visit site
I've done that with my horse- he's now a very confident, straight forward BE100/Novice horse. I can recommend you a fantastic pro who doesn't charge extra for competing etc but they are based in Surrey.

Asha

Visit site
Yes, it works for me. I keep mine at home, pro schools them and competes them. They are both young, and need a good rider to teach them the ropes. I've just started getting back on them. The pro rides them, then I get on when they are tired! I lost my confidence big time, and this is really helping me, while also helping the horses. I rode my big lad today, and loved it. So plan is, pro will jump them both, and will try my hand at dressage.

Rollin

Visit site
Yes. I sent my young stallion to UK for SJ training. First trainer did not like him and he did not even get to clear round. I sent him to a French trainer, who did wonders with him. Competed him four times, double clear second time out and small winnings with BS. He prepared him for SHGB Grading where he was graded 1.

When he has completed his endurance in France he will return to same French trainer for more SJ.

BUT trainer really clicked with the horse and liked him a lot. He is looking forward to having him back.

Archie07

Visit site
I've done that with my horse- he's now a very confident, straight forward BE100/Novice horse. I can recommend you a fantastic pro who doesn't charge extra for competing etc but they are based in Surrey.

Would you mind PM'ing me this person's information please - thinking about options for my boy next year.

CrazyMare

Visit site
ISummer time, I live in the same area. If my horses left my yard, there is only one place they would go and that is to the Kyles.

I have no idea if they take on others to ride but I would imagine so

burtie

Visit site
That's the sort of thing that I am looking for, so that in time I will have a confident schoolmaster for me to pop and do a few BE90 and BE100 on, I have no aspirations to do anything higher than that.
My gelding is way more talented than me and really bright but I don't want to sell him as he has a temperament to die for and is such a sweetheart but he will be wasted and probably ruined in my hands! he needs a good start in his education with a professional then hopefully will come back to me a braver, better educated horse, what sort of cost did you pay if you don't mind me asking, pm if you don't want to discuss here, I have had a price for schooling but not competing.

Sorry only just seen to reply. This was 12 years or so ago so have to look at infaltion. I used to pay £100 a week, no extra for diesel as he took a lorry load, all entry fees and stabling fees and I got 1/2 prize money and all the rosettes. He did also take rides on the day and charged I think £20 for 1 or 2 classes. He used to ride about 4 in each class!

IncaCola

Visit site
i i school, train and compete for owners. 20 years experience upto CCI***/advanced level. Lightweight sympathetic rider. I charge £140/week livery which includes riding at competitions. Only extra is diesel money. pm for more info. I am based gloucestershire/herefordshire border:)

almostthere

Visit site
Yes and have not so good and very good experiences. Have kept horses at pros yard and also had pro compete horses from my yard around their first one or two events and then I take back the ride. Both have worked but depends on the pro and the expectations on both sides ( I have learned a lot along the way!). The key is (to state the obvious), as always, communication :). I would highly recommend current pro in Oxfordshire.