Anybody here with any kind of sponsorship?? Advice.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Hi, if anybody here has any kind of sponsorship from free bits and bobs to cash. Would you be able to give me some advice.
Basicly my daughter is only 8 but is doing extremly well showjumping since i bought her second pony last year.
Shes gone from jumping X pole classes to being competitive in 60-70cm classes and is getting placed consistantly now. Shes also on the local PC teams now too. Im going to register her BS in the next month or so as pony just measures in at 12.2 so will start off in the stepping stone classes.

Now i know everybody out there is looking for this but im of the opinion if you dont ask you dont get!!:D The worst that can happen is that companies will say no and ill be no worse off and daughter will be non the wiser.

Im think maybe clothing especailly as shes contantly growing this will be helpfull. Lotions and potions for pony or numnahs/rugs tack. Or feed. Anything will be handy.
In return we can wear the items at shows with for example there name embroided on or as have something on the lorry (its under 3.5 tonnes) as i know you have to be carefull with these.
In addition i would set up a website put link to there.
Also for example at the weekend she quailified for the the Chiltern and Thames championship show by winning:D her class so usually they do a snippit so could mention them in her snippit.

Anyway how is the best way of going about this. Write letters? Email? And if anybody is feeling really kind an idea of what to write because although i know horses writing is really not my stong point and wouldnt know where to start.

Thanks for ready and any advice.:)

amage

Visit site
Honestly with an 8 year old child at that level she is not of much benefit to any potential sponsor. The reasoning behind sponsorship from a company's point of view is to sell more product through endorsement by a top rider and people buying into using what those riders use will improve their own performance. An 8 year old is not going to generate a following, not going to be able to sell a product or be a spokesperson and that level of competition is not going to make people sit up and take notice. There are kids all over the country competing at international level on ponies who can't get sponsors! I would say keep getting out having fun....time enough for your daughters hobby to be a business deal when she is older

beenriding

Visit site
It may be worth you trying Mark Unsworth from Dorset as he is supposed to be one of the richest people in that area. He is the owner of several ecommerce horse web stores and he has sponsored several horse events in Dorset. I say him as he has two young girls about your girls age who ride as well, so worth a go.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Do you have a local free horsey magazine? Someone who regularly advertises in there may want to on a small scale sponsorship? She and pony are still cute, so may attract someone who wants cute photos! Or perhaps a range for small ponies (Cuddley Ponies?). No harm in asking..

MandyMoo

Visit site
Honestly with an 8 year old child at that level she is not of much benefit to any potential sponsor. The reasoning behind sponsorship from a company's point of view is to sell more product through endorsement by a top rider and people buying into using what those riders use will improve their own performance. An 8 year old is not going to generate a following, not going to be able to sell a product or be a spokesperson and that level of competition is not going to make people sit up and take notice. There are kids all over the country competing at international level on ponies who can't get sponsors! I would say keep getting out having fun....time enough for your daughters hobby to be a business deal when she is older

agree with this; plenty of 8year olds that compete at international/top level are struggling for sponsors, so it would be a long shot for your daughter (sorry, but it is true) to find some as an 8year old only competing at the lower levels.
However, as you said, no harm in asking, as the worst that can happen is they'll say no; I would try emails or letters, but try and get someone to directly send it to rather than vaguely at a company (i.e. a manager or marketing individual) otherwise your letter/email might just get lost in transit.
Also I would suggest contacting smaller, more local businesses for your daughter rather than the ''big'' names i.e. things like Bailey's feeds - I strongly doubt they would have an interest in a lower level rider....but smaller local businesses might do.

Best of luck

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks, yer I know it's a long shot but its one of those things you don't get if you don't ask. And the higher you get the more expensive it gets.
Yer I was thinking maybe the clothing way forward of the smaller low key places worth a shot anyway. Will update if I get anywhere.

Suzie G

Visit site
I would probably suggest to get BS affiliated first. Gets some wins/double clears.

Being affiliated is a bit of a different ball game to unaffiliated shows with the competition being very strong.

All the kids I know who get sponsored are Affiliated (some aren't even that good) but at least the sponsor can see a proven record rather than a parent saying how amazing their child is :eek: which they are gonna get every day.

Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

MagicMelon

Visit site
As others have said, getting affiliated and winning regularly at that is a good idea. Very few unaffiliated riders get sponsorship. I've got 3 sponsors, they give me free products and one has paid for the odd 1* BE entry fee which has been incredibly helpful as its not cheap! In return, I wear their branded clothing and try to do anything I can for them, like pushing them on FB and through forums etc.

With your child, because she's so young - targeting the kiddy equestrian market should your aim I think, companies who do products for children. Try writing letters to them all, and just see what response you get. Even if they dont offer you support as such, they might give your daughter a freebie if you're lucky just for contacting them! You must make sure in your letter you tell them what your daughter can do for them (ie. mentioning them to all her friends, wearing their clothes at BS events etc.). Also, I think its highly unlikely you'll get financial help so the odd freebie is probably what you should aim for.

Nightmare before Christmas

Visit site
I asked a few companies who watched me over a few months and then chose me over others they had followed! Its amazing to feel the support they provide. Sadly my horse isnt right atm so I am looking for another but they are still very supportive!

zoelouisem

Visit site
Thanks for the advice .
Yer I'm not expecting heaps of money to be coming my way just a few freebies is what I'm hoping for tbh every little helps and all that.
I would have really thought about it but 2 teenage girls I know rang around and one has managed to wangle a free saddle and another rugs and numnahs with sponsored by ....... And it's all over the sponsors website.
To make it worse they are shockingly not good!!! They are jumping in classes my 8 year old daughter is winning in ( at the same shows) on 16hh horses and not getting placed. So I thought well if they can I will give it a go!!!
I've sent a few letters out and actually got a nice response from somebody to see if they've got some relevant products as they like to support the young as its the future so I thought that was good!!!
I've aimed for smaller low key companies that supply mostly kids and fluffy pony stuff as that is what I'll be able to advertise best!!!
We shall see what happens and will keep you updated. Thanks again!!