Anybody on here rescued a cat from RSPCA?

LucyLily

Visit site
I am having a home check on thursday to check my suitablility for rehoming a 4 month old kit :)
My house is on a semi busy road, but not fast traffic as my house is just after the roundabout. Its clean, tidy and safe.
We have a 14yo retriever, and they didnt see this as a problem as she is very quiet and placid and even licks the guinea pig!
I also have horses and have a good knowledge of animals in general.
Am I just being paranoid that I wont get him?
Ive fallen in love with him already!!!
So what can I expect?

Clannad48

Visit site
To be honest it really depends on who you are rescuing from - I know of people who have been perfect but not meeting the requirements of the RSPCA but who have gone on to be foster carers for the Cats Protection League. I think it just depends on who comes to do the visit on the day. We have just rehomed a kitten but ended up paying £35 for the privilege (don't get me wrong - we weren't looking for a freebie) Sometimes I think the RSPCA make things too hard for sensible people to rehome one of theirs. IMHO love and long term commitment are far more important than surroundings and finance.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
No, only dogs. Home visit (long time ago) was fine. Had free range rabbits, cats and 6 young children,also very free range. Inspector actually said the dog being homed was lucky coming to such a crazy house.
Couple of friends have had cats from them and they both work and live near busy-ish roads.

Good luck and don't worry,sure you'll be fine.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've got a cat which was rescued by the RSPCA but I haven't yet rescued one FROM the RSPCA - sorry, couldn't resist that one xx ;)

Actually got 3
2 semi feral looneys who live at the yard & 1 nutter who lives at home. He's seriously a loon of the highest order & is a well trained guard dog (another thread for him one day)

Good luck & if you dont pass (they work in mysterious ways sometimes) then there are plenty of others desperate for homing at places like Catz Castle nr Cobham etc

Doris68

Visit site
Re-homed brother and sister kittens 5 years ago. Had had kittens from Cats Protection previously and was honest and told them that our (last) cat had been killed on our lane (very quiet with little traffic). Was told over the phone there was no way they would let me "adopt" more cats to be killed on our lane.....!!!

Made a fuss and then received a "home visit" from a delightful and practical lady who said there was no problem for us to adopt. We have had our delightful pair for over 5 years and they have given us so much pleasure - they have such lovely personalities and, despite being brother and sister, are very different!

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I didn't have a home check for my cats but they were ancient and I was willing to take a family of 4 together and had previously had an elderly dog from them (again no home check!) so I think they just saw me coming and lined up the cute, old, not long for this world animals knowing I was a sucker! At least they only asked for a small donation in both cases as they all cost a fortune in vets fees but I would not have been without any of them. I now have another older rescue cat from someone who was moving and would have left her behind had I not taken her in, she is snoring loudly by my side as I write!

devilinajar

Visit site
I have a cat from the RSPCA but didnt have a home check as i worked in there clinic and actually hand reared her from 2weeks old. TBH considering the people i have seen who have passed the home check, you should have no problem at all!!!

Oliver12

Visit site
We've had two cats from the RSPCA and the latest two kittens were from the Cats Protection. I've not had a problem with either charity. You'll be fine. They only want what's best for the animals and they will see you love your animals.

Flicker

Visit site
We've got two (used to be three :()
Our road is a close, but that comes off a reasonably busy road, so basically if the neighbourhood cats stay in the close and surrounds it is quite quiet, but if they wander across the busy road to the river, they are in dangerous territory. That is unfortunately what happened to our little girl.
Our RSPCA people were really lovely and very understanding about the busy road - their rationale being that no home is going to be absolutely perfect in every respect and they would rather give the animals in their care the chance at a happy life than keep them cooped up indefinitely in the hope that something better might come along.
It is SO rewarding. Our big lad was a terrified juvenile when we got him and wouldn't even let you touch him. He now DEMANDS cuddles, sleeps on our bed, purrs so loudly I think he's going to break his purr and has been a really wonderful big brother to the hand-reared kitten we also adopted.
Looking back, our lives seem so empty before we welcomed these strange, magical little creatures into our home! :)

Bessieboo

Visit site
Ive had two cats from the RSPCA and they didn't do a home visit for either of them.

When I got the last one as soon as I said I wanted her they let me sign the paperwork and take her home immediately. Got to say she has turned out to be the best cat I have ever owned (well been owned by).

I am pretty sure you will be fine and hope you enjoy the new addition to your family.

millimoo

Visit site
I have.......
First two 16yrs ago were from the RSCPA - no home check required (still have grumpy Millie)
3rd was rehomed from the RSPCA 4yrs ago and again no home check.
At the time I rehomed the 3rd cat I also contacted the Cats Protection League, and they were the funny ones about my previous address.
Basically, our local RSCPA are not fussy about home locations (I quote the old dear from the CPL at the time) whereas the CPL were more thorough.

However I think all charities are overun with cats at the mo so i'm sure you'll be fine.
I currently have 4 cats, 2 x RSPCA, 1 from the paper (bad bad me, and a replacement for my other cat who was rescued from a yard overun with sick cats at the time - he got Kidney Failure at 5yrs) and my latest addition, who was dumped on the road near my parents, and of which the CPL caught, neutered and wormed for me - she's still a bit feral, but she's coming round and loves her new cat chums (apart from grumpy Millie)

Good luck, and if they say no, you'll have no probs finding one from somewhere else.