Visit site
A friend's horse has just been diagnosed, and she really needs some reassurance
frown.gif

Any experiences would be really helpful for her
smile.gif

Eaglestone

Visit site
In a nutshell ...

Motor was diagnosed, nearly 4 years ago, after going down with Cushings Induced Laminitis and I nearly lost him
frown.gif

I really thought he was going to turn into this frail, curly haired pony overnight, I was so scared
frown.gif

He went on Pergolide and after a very uphill struggle he came sound.

He is now just about back to his old self, except he is 28 so really an old boy
crazy.gif
but I ride him regularly
grin.gif

There are lots of horses out there, doing really well even though they are Cushingoid .... so please let her know
smile.gif

Please tell us more about your friend's horse?

Thanks.

hezza1

Visit site
My 25 year old tb mare has it she has the curly coat in the winter but that can be managed, she also has the odd poisened foot but i have not started her on drugs ,she is ok at the moment and i will take it as it comes she is happy and healthy and i think what will be will be .

ruscara

Visit site
Thank you both.
My friend's horse is 21 (I think now), and retired several years ago because of incurable head shaking - she tried everything and then some! He didn't lose his winter coat completely last year and was tested for Cushings, but came back negative. He has always had a bit of a dipped back and seems fine in himself; no other symptoms. He was tested again a couple of weeks ago (still with the fluffy, uneven coat, being very hot and sweaty but still happy and energetic) and the result is positive. My friend is devastated. He has yet to start any drug treatment.
I am really looking to reassure her that her horse can live on quite happily with this disease and won't immediately get laminitis, depression etc. and that she won't lose him.

Chestnutmare

Visit site
oh dear, sorry to hear this news....I am thinking my 23yro mare has onset on cushings, she hasn't really lost all her winter coat even in the summer she has had a wolly although not curly coat especially on her neck, she's got no other signs though.
Please let us know how you get on with your friends horse.
x

hellybelly6

Visit site
Yes

They have a pot belly, dropped back, muscle wasting. Eventually, diabetes and excessive drinking, laminitis and dramatic deterioration in arthritis.

Its not a nice condition, but I have known of cushings horses being well enough to be ridden.

The horse I knew quickly deteriorated, but this was 10 years ago when it was not a widely known condition and there wasnt any treatment.

Pergolide is usually given and there are supplements on the market like Cush X and cush aid which can help with symptoms.

Its not great news, but the condition can be managed. Your friend must be very upset and shocked. I hope everything works out well.

Flame_

Visit site
Yes I look after a pony with cushings. He's been on pergolide a few years and is really just like a normal pony except he has to look a bit poor or he gets laminitis.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
As long as the horse manages to stay clear of laminitis, it'll just be a case of keeping the horse comfortable through what will simply be old age! Get him on Pergolide, dosage calculated by the vet and prescription dispensed at a local pharmacy - ring round for best price. They develop a pot-bellied, ribbiness perhaps sooner than a non Cushingoid but a mooch around the YahooGroup 'Themetabolichorse' will provide many many tips on maintenance, supplements and advances in the science surrounding the understanding and treatments.

The horse should be fine and your friend should take heart that it's not all doom and gloom. He's had it a bit - it's just that now it's confirmed. He was probably even a sufferer at the time of the last test - false negatives are common.

tikino

Visit site
i have an 8 years old pony who has early onset of cushings disease he has all the symptoms of cushings disease from the coat to pot belly but is happy within himself. it is manageable so tell her to keep her chin up

Kat_Bath

Visit site
My friends little ginger ninja pony has cushings. He is 16. I started riding for her 6 years ago so in my mind he is still ten!!

Friend was sure he had it as he didn't loose his winter coat as well as he usually does and his feathers were more... feathery?! The test came back positive which shocked the vets but we immediately acted on it.

He does well on fresh air so we build him a small post and rail paddock, probably about 10m by 40m (about half the size of a school lengthways). It has to be post and rail because he had absolutely no respect for leccy fence and quite happily jumped in and out of his temp leccy fence paddock while we were building the post and rail one (he is a springy little Welsh pony)!

Post and rail up, in he went. He was peeved to be honest but he was still able to have a scratch with his friends over the fence. Stupid as it sounds, I think he understands it all as he loves the extra TLC.

He gets a slice of a big hay bale or about two thirds of a normal bale a day and he has fresh water. He has shelter but since he's been in there, he's started the really feel the cold more. Although he's still able to run lengthways, he won't make much effort and he does have a rug now. He loves it!

He has a much better routine now as well and he really appreciates getting out more than he used to. He is my friends kids pony but will carry me happily and we went for a good blast the other day and we went for miles and he was happy as larry.

He was clipped out about 2 months ago as he was sweating buckets when being ridden and wasn't comfortable. Although this meant he had to be rugged sooner, he is now comfortable when being ridden and when out in the field.

Come wintery weather, he will start hard feed depending on how he looks, how is generally and how his feet are. We know that as soon as he gets lami, he will have to start meds for cushings so the paddock is to prevent that as much as possible. His paddock does still provide quite a bit of grass though-surprisingly-and he will probably stay there for the rest of his days.

He's just starting to look a bit poorer but that might be due to to the lack of nutrition so hard feed will probably start sooner rather than later

I think we were lucky to catch it early so we've really learnt to manage him well.

This post has turned into a right essay but I hope it's reassuring! He's happy as larry in his all inclusive post and rail hotel
smile.gif

MontyandZoom

Visit site
My friend's horse was diagnosed with Cushing's last year. He is 23 years old. He is now on pergolide and still competes regularly in enurance rides and does xc!

It varies greatly horse to horse but with careful management they can live on happily for years