Anyone appealed land going to housing?

Mylife

Visit site
I'm so fuming and upset, I'm lucky enough to keep my pony directly behind my house, on land that I learnt to ride on, land my family has been trying to buy for as long as I can remember...

Found a letter in our door yesterday giving the link to a website regarding the building plans for the fields on the other side of the house, only to find our yard is included!! I knew the yard owner wanted to sell, and I knew she had offered it to the builders, I just didn't think it would actually happen! Anyone objected anything like this before? I can't see it having a good outcome, but I needed to vent a little as well! Especially since I'd been told if it didn't go to builders I had first refusal, I had so many plans for that place!

popsdosh

Visit site
nothing you can do about the sale, but you can appeal the planning application and hope

Just bear in mind if you stop it going through its extremely likely you wont get the yard anyhow as you cant do it without them knowing you objected. I assume the owner is aware as you can apply for planning anywhere even if you dont own the land.

Mylife

Visit site
Yes owner is defo aware, can you not object anonymously? I live on the edge of a small close knit housing estate and know that everyone else around us has objected, however the rest of the town we live in barely even knows our estate exists let alone the plot of land behind us, they do however know about the land next to us and the entire town objects to those building due to them being on the wrong side of the bypass, which would mean the bypass becomes right of way and defeats the point of a bypass!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is pretty normal to object to any building near you and if you are that near anyone would expect you to object. We were very surprised that neither of the neighbours objected to the building of my parents house, and we wouldn't have held it against them if they did.

Mylife

Visit site
We are very near in that the main site is about 20yards away from our back door, the yard is about 5 paces across my garden and over a fence! According to the plans they aren't using the stable block or the quarter of an acre or so of land nearest to our house and what looks like about 2/3 acres or so (also nearest us) is empty other than a pond, would it be totally crazy to let it happen then offer to buy back (from the builders) that chunk that seems only to be reserved for a pond?

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Our YO is currently trying to get planning permission to demolish all existing buildings and put up new houses. Check local status - we are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. In addition our land is outside the 'village envelope' and so any development will not be allowed unless it meets some very specific criteria (is no bigger than existing buildings, does not replace agricultural buildings with housing etc). It is also worth involving the local Parish Council if there is one. They may have objections too. Our village plan specifically mentions the need for affordable housing and as the YO did not include any in the plans this was one of main issues raised by the Parish Council. We are currently waiting on the meeting of the full planning committee. All objections could be submitted anonymously to the council via their website.

It is probably not a good idea to wait and try to buy back from the builders. The provision of a pond etc may be part of a proposed urban drainage system or similar and so integral to the whole development plan. Also if land is earmarked for development then its value may rise quite substantially. I guess it all depends on where you are in the country. We are in rural Berkshire so land values are high and any development can become a huge issue.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes we have a 'village plan' to, Dad's family are looking at selling our field for development stage one is to get it in the village plan before it is worth applying for planning. (and yes it is worth more after both step 1 and step 2).

Goldenstar

Visit site
My OH is a parish councillor the rules have been relaxed in favour of housing developments they are building everywhere here .
Livery yards are prime building targets as they are already out of agricultural use which makes it easier .

Orangehorse

Visit site
Most planning applications get granted at the moment. Of course everyone objects, the builders expect this and it doesn't bother them at all. Generally the land will be part of the Local Plan for development held at the local Council Offices and even if it isn't, every Council has to build x number of houses in the next few years, so landowners and speculative builders are applying where they think they can.

Highways issues sometimes mean an application is turned down. Bear in mind that even if the local council refuse, the builders will almost certainly take it to appeal.

skint1

Visit site
My OH is a parish councillor the rules have been relaxed in favour of housing developments they are building everywhere here .
Livery yards are prime building targets as they are already out of agricultural use which makes it easier .

I've seen a lot of evidence to support this view, it's a sad and crowded world we live in

mustardsmum

Visit site
Firstly, if you are going to object to a planning application, your application needs to object on the basis that the application does not follow National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF), which are the statutory laws that planners follow when looking at applications. There are also Core Strategies that local councils have to follow, all online. As an objector, you need to find which laws the application breaches, so you may have to trawl through the NPPF, try new isolated homes in the countryside on Google ...Firstly though, check out if you are within the settlement limits of a village. If The site is outside of this line, it will be a greenfield site and very difficult to gain permission for a new build unless there is an existing building already on the plot or the land has been set aside/earmarked for development by you local council. Check to see whether the land has agricultural status (find the local area plan) - if the land is agricultural, the planing guidelines do not allow for new buildings unless there is an agricultural need and the building will be tied, for example farm workers house. Also, check to see if you are in either an AONB (as Celtic Fringe is) or a Conservation Area. If you are, contact your AONB officer, they will certainly be interested and will usually raise objection which the planning Officer will take seriously. Highways are also worth looking at, is it a narrow lane and will the site increase traffic? Any objection you raise must refer to the planning policy notes - you can't object just because you don't like it or because it blocks your view, sadly! The pond/space between you and any proposal may be significant as this may be creating a further building plot and could be infilled at a later date! Most developers are pretty canny and will see more plots than most.... If the building site is near your house, there may be drainage issues - especially if you are in a flood plain.

Objecting to an application is fraught with problems, and in small communities can impact your relationships with others. Speak to your parish council and see what local feeling is. Find out when the parish council have their meeting to discuss the application and go along and voice any concerns. Your parish council may not support the application. Go in with you eyes open, remember once the permission is granted you cannot appeal against it. It's hard, I am in a similar situation, agricultural land up for development which we have grazed for years. We too are in an AONB and risk loosing the land because we have objected. Good luck!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Our YO is currently trying to get planning permission to demolish all existing buildings and put up new houses. Check local status - we are in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. In addition our land is outside the 'village envelope' and so any development will not be allowed unless it meets some very specific criteria (is no bigger than existing buildings, does not replace agricultural buildings with housing etc). It is also worth involving the local Parish Council if there is one. They may have objections too. Our village plan specifically mentions the need for affordable housing and as the YO did not include any in the plans this was one of main issues raised by the Parish Council. We are currently waiting on the meeting of the full planning committee. All objections could be submitted anonymously to the council via their website.

It is probably not a good idea to wait and try to buy back from the builders. The provision of a pond etc may be part of a proposed urban drainage system or similar and so integral to the whole development plan. Also if land is earmarked for development then its value may rise quite substantially. I guess it all depends on where you are in the country. We are in rural Berkshire so land values are high and any development can become a huge issue.

Ah yes, the great affordable housing con. In the village I grew up on the edge of, a site was cleared and planning permission was granted which had to include x number of units of affordable housing. When the build was complete (houses were like shoeboxes with windows you couldn't actually reach to open/close or clean) there were NO affordable units because the builder "couldn't afford to include them". I'm afraid its all about money money money and the council rarely challenges.

Mylife

Visit site
I have spoken to someone on our little 'estate' who I know is pro-active in stopping/minimising the building works.... He says there is a flight path of the greater horseshoe bat the runs the boundary of the yard between the yard and the rest of the building works... However he can't work on the case due to his living nearby...

He has also suggested I could take some photos of the ground/hedges so he could look for rare plants or signs of any protects animal species, I'd love to do this to help (as he can't due to the fact he would be trespassing) however i am concerned about the repercussions of this??

He says it's unlikely I can prevent the sale, but we may be able to keep those fields as green space as opposed to having buildings on the land, which imo is the next best thing,.. What are your opinions?

Blythwind

Visit site
Is it an outline application or full?

If it's outline, then the master plan is illustrative only and will change at the reserved matters stage. So the balancing pond could move and housing could be closer to you.

How many dwellings are proposed?

The applicants should have completed an ecology report which should have picked up any rare flora/fauna. Examples include orchids, greater created newts and bats. If your friend can contest it, go for it but note that bat surveys etc can only be undertaken at certain times of the year.

Where is the vehicular access? Has a highways report/transport statement/transport assessment been done?

May be easiest if you post the link to the application.

Pedantic

Visit site
Peeing into the wind trying to do anything about it, throwing houses up regardless of the eternal problems it causes for existing local families for ever after isn't taken into account, may as well move now and get it over with, they will probably throw up a halal slaughtering KFC right in your face as well just to rub it in, we have never had any peace from building house's, industrial estates, roads or anything else where I live since we moved in 30 years ago, or where my horse is kept, totally ruined with an absolute massive estate where I first kept my horse, now they are building a massive road through there as well, the yard I am at now, they want to build 300 houses opposite the farm, that will equate to about 500 cars, nowhere for the extra traffic of poorer air quality taken into account, further up the road they are going to build another estate, again where is the traffic going to go, where we hack now they have built a massive ginormeous warehouse with about 20 lorry loading bays, that's going to create a lot of lorry traffic right where I live, does anyone seem to care.........

Oh yea, when I requested to see the plans for drainage regarding the water table and nearby river, I was told there wasn't any...., all of a sudden we got a large A4 pages of stuff from the EA telling us we were in a flood area !!! since when !!!, oh yea, since you built a ,massive estate and road right next to us, britain is washed up in more ways than one.

Have you noticed how much open land there is in Wales and Scotland, but instead they cram houses right next to existing.

Don't forget the "social housing" they will by law shove in your face, with all the problems that brings with drug dealing litter fly tipping anti social behavior illegal motorbikes ete etc, we live with it at first hand experience.

The UK today, washed up and NOFA.

Last edited:

Mylife

Visit site
It's awful I hate having all these houses pop up everywhere, every town near us has had at least two new housing estates up in the last two years, the other one in our town was on a flood plain (like this one!) brand new houses flooded out in their first winter!!

Pedantic

Visit site
Last edited:

maisie06

Visit site
Peeing into the wind trying to do anything about it, throwing houses up regardless of the eternal problems it causes for existing local families for ever after isn't taken into account, may as well move now and get it over with, they will probably throw up a halal slaughtering KFC right in your face as well just to rub it in, we have never had any peace from building house's, industrial estates, roads or anything else where I live since we moved in 30 years ago, or where my horse is kept, totally ruined with an absolute massive estate where I first kept my horse, now they are building a massive road through there as well, the yard I am at now, they want to build 300 houses opposite the farm, that will equate to about 500 cars, nowhere for the extra traffic of poorer air quality taken into account, further up the road they are going to build another estate, again where is the traffic going to go, where we hack now they have built a massive ginormeous warehouse with about 20 lorry loading bays, that's going to create a lot of lorry traffic right where I live, does anyone seem to care.........

Oh yea, when I requested to see the plans for drainage regarding the water table and nearby river, I was told there wasn't any...., all of a sudden we got a large A4 pages of stuff from the EA telling us we were in a flood area !!! since when !!!, oh yea, since you built a ,massive estate and road right next to us, britain is washed up in more ways than one.

Have you noticed how much open land there is in Wales and Scotland, but instead they cram houses right next to existing.

Don't forget the "social housing" they will by law shove in your face, with all the problems that brings with drug dealing litter fly tipping anti social behavior illegal motorbikes ete etc, we live with it at first hand experience.

The UK today, washed up and NOFA.

I totally agree with all of the above. Britain is broken, there is no incentive to live here anymore, build, build, build, yes we do need housing but we also need to limit the sheer numbers of people flooding into the country, that way we WOULD have enough to go around. This country is a joke - can't put up one small dwelling on your own land for a family member yet they can build sprawing estates and fill 'em up with chavs at the tax payers expense. I am so glad I'm getting on in years and won't live long enough to see what Britain will eventually become - a concrete and tarmac desert with no green space at all and people crammed in like sardines.

Mylife

Visit site
Is there anything that can be done on a larger scale? I am sure an awful lot of people would be interested in lessening housing

Mylife

Visit site
I was speaking to my friend the other day saying it's only so long before they build on moorland and protected places like that? I mean, at this rate it's bound to happen someday, right?

Pedantic

Visit site
We have a large empty area of land local, where a well known chemical plant used to stand, the ground is heavily contaminated, our farmer years back used to do some JCB digging on there, he told me that when you disturb the ground that it made your eyes water, a local £millionaire developer has said in the local paper that it shouldn't put off building houses on the land !!!!!, he's already got pots of money, the greed factor is unbelievable.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Der...-build-homes/story-28179471-detail/story.html

Totally Gobsmacking

Last edited:

Mylife

Visit site
That's awful!! I feel the same on this land the owner has said her and the kids will be set for life of she sells to developers... Not like your handful of property and other stables have you set at all, clearly on the brink of poverty

Regandal

Visit site
It's the way the planners think we're all idiots that irks me. I live in a small village. The local town gave permission to 3 builders to build 300 new houses. Three hundred. They built a new school, as part of the package - old one was falling down. The new school could accommodate only 20 more pupils than the old one. What planet do these people live on? When the likelihood of there being more than 20 kids moving into all these new houses was raised, we were told 'It's ok, we've done our sums' Needless to say, the school has already had one extension put on, and another one in the pipeline. And it's a f----ing eyesore, but that's another gripe.

Cobbytype

Visit site
I have spoken to someone on our little 'estate' who I know is pro-active in stopping/minimising the building works.... He says there is a flight path of the greater horseshoe bat the runs the boundary of the yard between the yard and the rest of the building works... However he can't work on the case due to his living nearby...

He has also suggested I could take some photos of the ground/hedges so he could look for rare plants or signs of any protects animal species, I'd love to do this to help (as he can't due to the fact he would be trespassing) however i am concerned about the repercussions of this??

He says it's unlikely I can prevent the sale, but we may be able to keep those fields as green space as opposed to having buildings on the land, which imo is the next best thing,.. What are your opinions?

Some years ago we fought a planning application for a development of houses on land to the rear of our house. The land was an old orchard with a natural pond, which had a healthy Great Crested Newt population. Check to see if your pond has them. Check that a full and comprehensive Environmental Impact Assessment will be carried out and make sure the planning officer is aware of any protected species in the area, such as bats, newts, owls etc.

We succeeded in fighting the development and one of the grounds for refusal was the Great Crested Newt colony. Another reason for refusal was the close proximity to a listed building. We got in touch with local organisations such as English Nature (I think they are called Natural England now) and our regional wildlife trust, along with English Heritage. We found that by making our local wildlife and heritage assets known, and getting those organisations involved, helped a lot in ensuring the Planning Department considered the application very carefully.

Take photos of any protected species you see, along with any trees etc. Developers can be brutal at times. We had one last year who cut down a line of very old poplar trees before applying for planning and then stated there were no trees in the vicinity of the proposed development.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm so fuming and upset, I'm lucky enough to keep my pony directly behind my house, on land that I learnt to ride on, land my family has been trying to buy for as long as I can remember...

Found a letter in our door yesterday giving the link to a website regarding the building plans for the fields on the other side of the house, only to find our yard is included!! I knew the yard owner wanted to sell, and I knew she had offered it to the builders, I just didn't think it would actually happen! Anyone objected anything like this before? I can't see it having a good outcome, but I needed to vent a little as well! Especially since I'd been told if it didn't go to builders I had first refusal, I had so many plans for that place!

Put your case to yard owner and maybe give her over budget price and see what she says, if not appeal to the council and offer them money. Council are often offered money to do or not do something or promised new playground if they let this or do that for someone.

jrp204

Visit site
Put your case to yard owner and maybe give her over budget price and see what she says, if not appeal to the council and offer them money. Council are often offered money to do or not do something or promised new playground if they let this or do that for someone.

Unless the land is going for affordable housing (where its value is considerably less, locally it was 10k/house ) you would have to be very wealthy to match the prices offered by developers. In our village 2 small building plots sold for £350k. I'm not sure offering the council money is the way to go, the only way the council will be involved would be through the planning process and bribing them may not be the answer ;).
Your yard owner is only doing what 90% of people would do, some may say it's greedy but for the majority the opportunity to potentially change your life is a massive incentive.

popsdosh

Visit site

As much as I sympathise with you I do find it odd when people complain about development when they themselves live in a house which when constructed was probably as much unwanted by the locals.
I really think you are clutching at straws hoping the bats or fauna will stop it happening as I said before if you attempt to stand in the way the likely hood is you will lose the use of the land anyhow.
What are your true reasons for objecting? You certainly will not be able to object and hide the fact all correspondence will be forwarded to the applicant and if you send it in anonymously it will get binned.