Anyone appealed land going to housing?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Unless the land is going for affordable housing (where its value is considerably less, locally it was 10k/house ) you would have to be very wealthy to match the prices offered by developers. In our village 2 small building plots sold for £350k. I'm not sure offering the council money is the way to go, the only way the council will be involved would be through the planning process and bribing them may not be the answer ;).
Your yard owner is only doing what 90% of people would do, some may say it's greedy but for the majority the opportunity to potentially change your life is a massive incentive.

True but Op got nothing to lose have they if they approach yard owner with an offer. I cannot say to much on here but we shall call them *X* is doing a similar thing but not in development, they are offering the council £ XXXXX with a condition attached near me, and we are still waiting the outcome.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I live on the edge of a small close knit housing estate and know that everyone else around us has objected

So, to be clear -

You yourself live on a small housing estate which will at some point have been a new build, are now protesting about another new build, on land that you wanted to buy yourself but perhaps couldn't match its development value?

All I can see based on your link is that it has been included in the local plan, which is no real surprise as it is essentially land which sits within two built areas.

I'm a bit fed up of peoples "not on my doorstep" attitudes at the moment. We do need more houses, to support the population - whether you agree with that or not, doesn't stop it from being a fact - there is a housing shortage.

popsdosh

Visit site
Put your case to yard owner and maybe give her over budget price and see what she says, if not appeal to the council and offer them money. Council are often offered money to do or not do something or promised new playground if they let this or do that for someone.

That is illegal it is normal within the planning process for conditions to be imposed that mean the applicant agrees to improve local amenities due to the impact of the development however paying them to reject a development application would be considered bribery and have serious legal consequences.
At the end of the day the OP has a gripe because they are going to lose their grazing that they would like to buy . Are you under the illusion that the OP would not take the money for development if it was offered at a later date as there are not many that could resist that sort of money. Of course they would take it and move into a bigger house with more land and no houses around them it is human nature.
If the land owner turned down the offer and sold for less to somebody else(we are talking hundreds of thousand less if not millions) I would expect them to be put in a padded cell .

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
OP, I'm afraid that this application looks like a shoo in. I used to live in a nearby village to yours which has been changed out of all recognition by new housing.

In my current area, all objections and correspondence re planning applications are published in full on the council planning portal, with full names and addresses included. I wouldn't rest many hopes re enlisting the local Parish Council either, they often mean well but their views count for little (I'm an ex Parish Councillor).

Goldenstar

Visit site
We need to used to this housing is going up everywhere round here and I have to be honest and say when I sell here it's probably what will happen to most of my land .

Dubsie

Visit site
You may find, that if there isn't any specific use of the land that will be nearest you & remain empty, that you might be able to buy from the developers after they've built, they will need to retain it while getting planning so they can say x % of the land will be retained as green space or whatever as per the Local Plan, so it fits with the requirements of the local council. Once they have done and dusted with planning and got it built you might be able to negotiate to buy

Mylife

Visit site
To the people saying I would buy it at a lower price, to sell on I appreciate that many people would take that path, however if I was to get that land no amount of money would get me to sell it for many reasons, our house will never be sold by myself as it was built by a family member, far more important to me than any money!

Mylife

Visit site
As is the land, if I didn't have such an attachment to that particular piece of land is probably just grumble about it and get on with life, I just really love this land and I am just learning the possible outcomes and what may happen or what I may be able to do about it- probably nothing but no harm in asking or discussing it!

LPL

Visit site
Yes and we have just lost. 240 houses behind my parents house with another development of 200 houses less than 2 miles away. No new road infrastructure. No new schools. No chance of further development of existing schools - already extended as much a possible. This was the last area of green belt in our area and it's going. We don't live on a new estate the cottages my parents live in are listed buildings. It's not a case of not on out doorstep but why not renovate the existing houses, industrial sites and brown fields that no one cares about.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The fact is that in most developments not enough infrastructure has been put in place to service the increased local population caused by the development so existing local populations suffer such as having to wait longer for doctors appointments, no places at local schools for local children etc.
I believe that there is far too much indiscriminate breeding in this country and far too many parents that do not have the ability or resources to support their children.
Population control is what is required not more houses to accommodate them.

Luci07

Visit site
I do understand why people push for more housing and equally (and I am in this category) why other people do take the "not in my backyard" approach.

I live in an unattractive house which is nice inside but we are in a lovely village. That was the sacrifice I made to live here. I have had a lot of people talking about their "right" to live here and how the village should be extended for younger people.

Except that doesn't happen. In the real world, houses don't get ring fenced for locals and actually, why should you have an automatic right because you were born there? honest question. I am talking about a Surrey village, not a village which is far more remote as the same arguments won't apply.

The local council tried to push through planning for 400 houses... literally 6 weeks after the village saw its worst flooding for 45 years and many people were badly impacted. They failed this time because the entire village was up in arms, but perhaps if they had tried another time, it might have slipped through.

I don't know what the answers are. I have personally seen a couple of livery yards shut down because the owners have got planning permission. Massive shame.. but I can't blame them. PP (in the 2 cases I have seen) literally trebled the value of the yard. Previously places around us in the Surrey Hills would be deserted come winter and more active in the summer with walkers etc. Now they are always crowded. Again, I know I have absolutely no right over any of these new people but it is just indicative of how crowded we are getting and actually, its our green spaces which are suffering.

popsdosh

Visit site
I live in an unattractive house which is nice inside but we are in a lovely village. That was the sacrifice I made to live here. I have had a lot of people talking about their "right" to live here and how the village should be extended for younger people.

Except that doesn't happen. In the real world, houses don't get ring fenced for locals and actually, why should you have an automatic right because you were born there? honest question. I am talking about a Surrey village, not a village which is far more remote as the same arguments won't apply.

i would like to take issue with that comment a lot of those young people grew up and work local to that village,why should they not have housing available to them.
I am sure most of the people that can afford houses in that village actually work nowhere near and most likely commute into London but have driven up house prices so the locals cannot afford them. They should build houses for the youngsters however if that does not suit the residents that work elsewhere so be it perhaps they would like to move away again and free up some houses.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The reasons behind extending for young people are I think as much to do with the fact that a village full of only commuters and retirees doesn't function as well as one that includes young families etc that both live and work in the area.

Personally I think it is great that more people are getting out and seeing the surrey countryside.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
That is illegal it is normal within the planning process for conditions to be imposed that mean the applicant agrees to improve local amenities due to the impact of the development however paying them to reject a development application would be considered bribery and have serious legal consequences.
At the end of the day the OP has a gripe because they are going to lose their grazing that they would like to buy . Are you under the illusion that the OP would not take the money for development if it was offered at a later date as there are not many that could resist that sort of money. Of course they would take it and move into a bigger house with more land and no houses around them it is human nature.
If the land owner turned down the offer and sold for less to somebody else(we are talking hundreds of thousand less if not millions) I would expect them to be put in a padded cell .

This happens *FACT*specially with building contractors who want either build extra houses on a plot of land or things they resurface playgrounds and more for the council in order to achieve this.

So you think EVERYONE thinks of the money only and not our beautiful countryside being gradually eaten up by more houses. It may surprise you that some people buy land in front of their property just so they cannot build on it. Not everyone is a money grabber, some the land is more important than the money.

ester

Visit site
Err building a playground is not handing over cash.........

In my village part of the deal was that they built a desperately needed new village hall which was next door! Great, might as well get something out of it as far as I am concerned!

popsdosh

Visit site
This happens *FACT*specially with building contractors who want either build extra houses on a plot of land or things they resurface playgrounds and more for the council in order to achieve this.

So you think EVERYONE thinks of the money only and not our beautiful countryside being gradually eaten up by more houses. It may surprise you that some people buy land in front of their property just so they cannot build on it. Not everyone is a money grabber, some the land is more important than the money.

Of course people can buy that land if they wish what I tokj issue with is you originally said that people could give cash to the local council to stop a planning application and that indeed is illegal.
Their is indeed nothing wrong with developers having to improve amenities as part of an application . However it is just that as the need for the housing also calls for the upgrading of facilities.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Err building a playground is not handing over cash.........

In my village part of the deal was that they built a desperately needed new village hall which was next door! Great, might as well get something out of it as far as I am concerned!

Err you don't say really !!!!. What part of this did you not understand??
I cannot say to much on here but we shall call them *X* is doing a similar thing but not in development, they are offering the council £ XXXXX with a condition attached near me, and we are still waiting the outcome.

It is illegal to copy from the councils website.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Of course people can buy that land if they wish what I tokj issue with is you originally said that people could give cash to the local council to stop a planning application and that indeed is illegal.
Their is indeed nothing wrong with developers having to improve amenities as part of an application . However it is just that as the need for the housing also calls for the upgrading of facilities.

No I did not say to stop planning applications, I said to sway things their way which is the case in the one I mentioned above. Many things go on in the building world that many people are unaware of. Like offering to do something to the value of xxxxxxxxx for the council if they let things go ahead which otherwise would be refused in a planning

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
Sorry if im wrong but thats what I assumed you meant by this when you were talking about the OP getting the land or objecting

'often offered money to do or not do something '

Offering money to a council to influence a decision is bribery and illegal.

ester

Visit site
Err you don't say really !!!!. What part of this did you not understand??

'I cannot say to much on here but we shall call them *X* is doing a similar thing but not in development, they are offering the council £ XXXXX with a condition attached near me, and we are still waiting the outcome.'

It is illegal to copy from the councils website and some of the people involved may see this thread. Money has been offered to try get things swung their way.

Well funnily enough it wasn't terribly clear there are a lot of Xs, and you also say it isn't to do with development
I am sure one could link to the councils website...

ester

Visit site
No I did not say to stop planning applications, I said to sway things their way which is the case in the one I mentioned above. Many things go on in the building world that many people are unaware of. Like offering to do something to the value of xxxxxxxxx for the council if they let things go ahead which otherwise would be refused in a planning

But the OP wants to stop a planning application? So what help was suggesting paying the council!?

Mylife

Visit site

Thanks for this, I am absolutely not seeing pound signs!! Thanks for the support :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sorry if im wrong but thats what I assumed you meant by this when you were talking about the OP getting the land or objecting

'often offered money to do or not do something '

Offering money to a council to influence a decision is bribery and illegal.

It happens all the time, I have said too much already on this particular case and it is close to home so will not say anymore.

I will tell you of a case a few years back where a field was brought and planning for 70 houses was granted. End result was council was happy with their agreement result and the building company was well happy having got permission to build 700 houses in return instead of 70.

We now call this place toy town as the houses are so damn small.

When your husband is a senior Civil engineer + senior planner + construction engineer dealing with construction companies and councils and larger construction of places like Olympics / Westfields / you get to know what goes on behind closed doors. :)

OP I hope you get to stay in your lovely fields.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
But the OP wants to stop a planning application? So what help was suggesting paying the council!?

Was not clear enough, I meant offering the Yard owner money to purchase the yard off her. I am lost now I think I will go back out and feed these horses as they are all neighing for hay lol

popsdosh

Visit site
Was not clear enough, I meant offering the Yard owner money to purchase the yard off her. I am lost now I think I will go back out and feed these horses as they are all neighing for hay lol

I think that may turn out expensive maybe :) Feeding time here now only 250 cattle and the neds lol.

Mylife

Visit site
Around here the value of the yard alone would be above what I'd like to pay, and I would defo need family members assistance, however they have an interest in the yard also. As land for property development the value of the land would be probably closer to 1 mil out of my price range unfortunately.

ester

Visit site
I know our paddock is worth about 50k as land, 250k when part of the village plan and I think it was 850k with outline planning.... That's a hell of a mark up for the op to pay to not build on it!

Mylife

Visit site
That's interesting... As far as I am aware it's not being sold with planning.... It has planning for a barn but not residential property... Yet anyway!

popsdosh

Visit site
That's interesting... As far as I am aware it's not being sold with planning.... It has planning for a barn but not residential property... Yet anyway!

Residential building land is difficult to value but I guess 500Kto 750K/acre. It will be sold on the terms of the planning going through. It may already be sold if the developer is taking a punt on it.

Mylife

Visit site
From what I understand planning is the next stage, it has to get through this stage, then it goes to planning... Not entirely sure what this stage is, I do know it's waiting for a report back on the bat situation.

Talking about it with you lovely lot has really helped me come to terms with it and better understand what's going on, so thank you all very much for that :)