Anyone been on an horse massage or similar course ?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I'm seriously considering going on a course to learn how to massage, Bowen therapy (although possibly not Bowen as I believe you have to learn on humans first), accupressure or something similar along those lines - I was wondering if anyone else had been and if you found bit good value for money?

I haven't got any ambitions to become a professional, but I think I'm missing learning something new (after my university days, I never thought I'd say that :D ). I've always been interested in those kind of therapies and think it would be something nice to be able to do with my own horse.

I think I'd rather go somewhere and have hands on teaching (even for a few days), as although I'm sure long distance training works really well for some people, I think I'd get more out it by going and being taught how to do it myself.

If anyone has done it, who did they use? I'm looking at a few options at the moment and it's hard to tell who would deliver what they say!

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Not yet. I had planned to this year before I fell pregnant.

I am hoping to train in equine and human sports massage. Human too as

A) it doubles your potential client base and
B) it enables you to treat the rider too, who may in fact be part of the problem!!!

I would recommend you look at the equine massage association website. There is lots of information on there. Mary Bromiley is the leading practitioner/trainer in the country. The other recommended people are ICAT.

Hope that helps!

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Visit site
Have a look at Equine Touch. It's amazing!

I went on the Level 1 course after seeing a demo at YHL and am now just awaiting my final result for becoming a practitioner.

The Level 1 course will teach you all you need to know to be able to complete an entire session on your own horse yourself. Levels 2, 3 and 4 are all enhancements to what you learn on Level 1 so if you don't want to continue you don't have to, although it is addictive! If you do want to continue, you can do all the levels without signing up to the practitioner route, but if you do want to become a practitioner then there are assessment papers and a practical at each step of the way. It's very flexible.

Level 1 is 3 days and around £350. All the instructors are just lovely, which helps.

Inbox me if you want to know more.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I qualified as an EEBW (Equinergy) and took the Masterson Method Advanced course. I also tried ET but it wasn't for me. Personally, if you just want to do your own horses I think the Masterson Method is the best :)

Last edited:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Thanks for your responses :)

At the moment, I'm certain I just want to study for myself - hence why I'm not unduly concerned with training in people too.

JWK - that's a very kind offer, I'll certain be dropping you a PM very soon! I've been looking at ET & have actually emailed one of the tutors running courses in Essex, as I'm base in West Sussex, I believe this would be my most local course.

MOC - can I ask why you you didn't take to ET? Ill look into EEBW & Masterson methods though, another one to add to my research list!

gunnergundog

Visit site
At the moment, I'm certain I just want to study for myself - hence why I'm not unduly concerned with training in people too.

I can understand that but having a human qualification is a pre-req for the Mary Bromiley ITEC course that you were recommended above.

TBH, whether you wish to pursue that route or not, I would REALLY recommend doing a short human course. The strokes/techniques you are taught for massage are the same; the humans you practice on are however much better placed to give you feedback on the pressure you use etc etc. Also, they will know where the problem is and can point you to certain areas so that you can learn to feel the difference in tension between healthy and compromised muscle.

Once you have perfected the above you could go on to do an equine course......Gillian Higgins (Horses Inside Out) runs short weekend courses for owners wishing to practice on their own equines. There are also a number of books that could help you transition over to working on your horse once you have got the basics sussed.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
MOC - can I ask why you you didn't take to ET? Ill look into EEBW & Masterson methods though, another one to add to my research list!

I think maybe it was more to do with the course I was on and the horses there. I found Masterson to be much more effective from the get go but I am glad I went the Equinenergy route first as it gave me a good grounding in anatomy as well but there are ways to learn that yourself. Practising on people is a good idea and you do that with ET.