Anyone been to Wheal Buller riding holidays?

arkledessie

Visit site
I'm thinking of booking a residential riding holiday at Wheal Buller in Cornwall for my husband and myself. Just wondering if it's as good as it seems. We're experienced mature riders looking for variety and fun on well schooled horses - a mixture of things such as cross country riding and tuition plus good hacking etc. Any opinions gratefully received as it's in Cornwall and we're in Suffolk, so too far to pop over for a quick look! We have been spoilt as we went to Ireland this year for a wonderful cross country jumping holiday (and are going again next year!) but Wheal Buller sounds like somewhere we could also take our 10 year old granddaughter so I'm hoping it's good.

jrp204

Visit site
My DIL has had a couple of lessons there when they have come down and has been happy with them but don't know any more than that.

Michen

Visit site
Yes about 13 years ago!!!! They were great but a bit nuts. Bet they are a bit more health and safety conscious now haha!

teddypops

Visit site
My friend and I went a few years ago. The best thing was the amount of riding, it was pretty much unlimited, unlike all the other holidays we looked at. The ponies were ok, we were put on 13.2/ 14hh ponies, all were quite willing but omg the saddles were awful. So uncomfortable! The accommodation was fine and the staff were all nice. However, I would say it was more suited to novice riders rather than experienced.

Micropony

Visit site
I have been there a few times, but not for over 10 years. The accommodation was basic but clean. There were some fab horses, and they seemed well looked after to me. I remember a chestnut point to pointer called Radjel who worked there in the off season and he was great fun. I rode my first ever travers on him. Even the hairy ponies were schooled up to Medium. The teaching was okay, not amazing, but to be fair they don't market themselves as a Talland type place. One of the instructors was particularly dreadful and I was deeply unimpressed with her attitude to safety, but the rest were much better. There were a couple of cross country courses but they were pretty small fences, which suited me just fine as I'd not done cross country before, but might not interest you if you're experienced cross country riders. The hacking was absolutely fantastic. We went swimming with the horses in a lake, and boxed to the beach. They were incredibly flexible about what and how much riding you could do, and really did make a lot of effort to accommodate everyone. We were keen to pack in as much riding as possible, and if you want a flat lesson followed by a jump lesson followed by a lunge lesson followed by a cross country lesson followed by a two hour hack they would find a way of fitting it in. I really enjoyed my holidays there.

Queenbee

Visit site
Wasn't it sold a few years back? I grew up very nearby, but I don't think it existed back then.

To my knowledge it never actually changed hands, at one point it was for sale (I think due to a divorce) but there were numerous issues that made the sale difficult, after that I never heard of it actually being sold, however I still know of instructors, Yard hands and recent clients who all have very disillusioned views of the establishment.