Anyone bought a horse people said wasnt a good idea?

mammyofthree1912

New User
Visit site
Hi all

The reason behind the post is I'm looking to buy my first horse. I've been riding over 20 years and had various 'not novice' horses on loan from full TBs, full arabs and even a racing pony, I've competed in showing, dressage, SJ and ODEs! I'm finally in a position where I can afford to own my own horse. I'm not rushing into anything but would like something of a small project, I don't want to sell it later at any point and want it to SJ or event once schooling has been put in place.

I've found a thoroughbred mare (chestnut at that) which isn't 'a novice ride'.... she needs a lot of schooling and is currently very fizzy (not nasty) 100% on roads, teeth, farrier loading etc. 8yrs old. She's apparently fizzy as she needs worked every day and isn't getting it. I do feel like I could do her some justice having had a lot of experience with different types of horses in the past. BUT my best friend who is also horsey thinks she's a bad idea based on the fact its a TB and that I have three children- (she hasn't seen the horse). The horse has jumped in the past but not with current owner who is quite nervous of her. She is for sale for £800. I'm not looking for a cheap horse as I have a decent budget and will pay more for the right horse. I want to emphasise the point this horse is to keep and not to sell on for profit but potentially if I get a mare would like to produce from her later on when retired from SJ or eventing.

Has anyone else taken a horse on they've been told 'best not to' and had a good outcome?

canteron

Visit site
Yes - but it just took rather a long time for it to come good - but I learnt so much and the horse was responsible for making me go out there and learn it.

I guess just really question your friend and ask if she doesn't think you are a good enough rider (and where your weaknesses are) or whether its just the TB thing that worries her - assuming you value her opinion then at least you will have an idea where you need to start if you take the horse on.

Ultimately any horse you buy is a bit of a gamble. I would just say if you do, and it really is only your decision, give the horse lots of time to settle in, really establish a good relationship on the ground before you even think of getting on and make sure you have a large budget for support, so you can immediately get advice if things start to go wrong. And finally buy full seat jodphurs and an avacello seat pad - they have saved me from many an interesting moment!

risky business

Visit site
At the end of the day it's your choice what horse you buy.

Your friend may be giving you advice to be kind (or not). But if you go to see this horse and you like her it's you that has to ride and care for her.

Just make sure the horse is right for you and if she is all the best.

mammyofthree1912

New User
Visit site
Yes - but it just took rather a long time for it to come good - but I learnt so much and the horse was responsible for making me go out there and learn it.

I guess just really question your friend and ask if she doesn't think you are a good enough rider (and where your weaknesses are) or whether its just the TB thing that worries her - assuming you value her opinion then at least you will have an idea where you need to start if you take the horse on.

Ultimately any horse you buy is a bit of a gamble. I would just say if you do, and it really is only your decision, give the horse lots of time to settle in, really establish a good relationship on the ground before you even think of getting on and make sure you have a large budget for support, so you can immediately get advice if things start to go wrong. And finally buy full seat jodphurs and an avacello seat pad - they have saved me from many an interesting moment!

Shes had a bad experience of her own with an ex-racehorse (on loan from a racehorse rehoming charity) who was cold-backed, nasty accident put her in hospital so I can understand her concerns. I do plan on taking things very slowly lots of groundwork and relationship building followed by lots of schooling with lessons and then the fun. I'm not rushing time wise to get to that level where we can compete end of next summer would be lovely but am happy to wait as long as the horse needs it!

canteron

Visit site
Shes had a bad experience of her own with an ex-racehorse (on loan from a racehorse rehoming charity) who was cold-backed, nasty accident put her in hospital so I can understand her concerns. I do plan on taking things very slowly lots of groundwork and relationship building followed by lots of schooling with lessons and then the fun. I'm not rushing time wise to get to that level where we can compete end of next summer would be lovely but am happy to wait as long as the horse needs it!

Brilliant, because one things for sure, there will be problems with any horse - thats why we love them!

Oh gosh, do remember to ask about cold backed, rearing, bucking, and 'what is the worst thing the horse did to current rider' and all the other questions that horse sellers conveniently forget to mention - it doesn't mean that you don't buy the horse, just that you go in with your eyes open!

JJS

Visit site
Go with your gut. I have a special soft spot for a nice Thoroughbred mare. My first horse was an ex-racer and I couldn't have found anyone better, even if she did spend the first year throwing everything she had at me. I lost her in May and, believe me, she was utterly irreplaceable. If you've seen something in her, then go and see her again, with your friend if you like, or preferably with another experienced horse person that you trust. Get their opinion of her in the flesh, and if that changes nothing, she might just be the horse for you.

mammyofthree1912

New User
Visit site
Ha I will thanks - I've been to see it once already and asked about its back - had a good feel too as I've had a TB on loan before who had back problems and always 'dipped' its back when touched in certain places. the owner said she had been checked by the vet for back problems and nothing was found (if I do decide to buy I will use her own vet to vet the horse and will double check the back checking she had done last month).... just wanted to get a few success stories if there was any out there!

Auslander

Visit site
I wouldn't be particularly bothered by an opinion that was based on a entire type of horse. If she was commenting based on knowing the horse, and knowing you, then I would be more concerned!

Auslander

Visit site
Ha I will thanks - I've been to see it once already and asked about its back - had a good feel too as I've had a TB on loan before who had back problems and always 'dipped' its back when touched in certain places. the owner said she had been checked by the vet for back problems and nothing was found (if I do decide to buy I will use her own vet to vet the horse and will double check the back checking she had done last month).... just wanted to get a few success stories if there was any out there!

Don't use her vet! Use one that you have chosen, who doesn't know her, or the horse!

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Yes, people told me there must be something wrong with him, day after he arrived trainer said he thought he'd be too much for me...

Three years down the line we have been placed 3rd at BD Nationals at Elementary, previously placed 6th at Winters at Novice. I trusted my gut and got a very nice horse out of the situation - of the sort that I could never otherwise have been able to afford.

rowan666

Visit site
Go with your gut instinct, if you feel shes 'the one' go for it! Theres nothing wrong with tb's or chestnut mares lol if youve got the experience, money and time for one.

My mum (very experienced) told me not to buy my anglo and certainly not for the price I paid because hes cow hocked and has wind galls, if he grows into his legs he will be 16hh (i only wanted 14.2, he ws 13.3 at rising 3 when viewed) I ignored her because I she isnt a fan of the breed/type and 4yrs down the line and hes now 6 and at least 15.2 still bum high and he can no longer be worked or jumped through OA and at best on a good day can be lightly hacked but I had a couple of good years with him and hes the sweetest thing on the planet so I dont regret buying him but I shouldn't have paid what I did, mums always know best! Lol.
BUT
When friends warned me about my old chestnut arab mare as a kid (13) she was CRAZY but we took her on anyway and she turned out to be my absolute horse of a lifetime.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Yes. Still have him five years later. Sooo many people advised me to sell him. I have, however, been fortunate to have acquired a great support team, including two wonderful jockeys because I am now too crocked to do him justice . . . but I will never sell him - he gives me so much and the relationship I have with him as his "person" is priceless.

P

P.S. Just to give you some idea . . . my (then) trainer said when she first saw him, before she had even see me ride him or sat on him herself "what the eff have you bought . . . ?"

Last edited:

cptrayes

Visit site
I've bought quite a few horses which had owners who were to scared to ride them. The worst one probably took six months to turn into a decent riding club horse. Three I evented affiliated.

If you like the horse, are confident that you can manage her, then buy her and she'll probably turn out to be a bargain. I would want a bit of that price if she is an ex racer. It's toppy for a tb horse that the current owner is scared of.

Last edited:

gmw

Visit site
Only thing that worries me is if she has to be ridden everyday and you have three children Will you be able to ride daily? Children do get ill etc.

ellie11987

Visit site
I bought mine despite her being way too young and totally unsuitable for a 15 year old, even after her decking me on viewing. I am still not too sure what my thought process was that day!

Anyway 2 and a half years on she is an absolute sweetheart and the work that has gone into her makes it all the more rewarding.

But yes, it took blood, sweat and a lot of tears. I honestly hated her for the first few months and almost sent her back. Time and work has brought us more together as we know what to expect of each other now, it did take a good year to even start to bond though.

leggs

Visit site
yep. My first real horse (apart from loaners) was an arab that for the first year could only walk on 2 legs (the hind ones-even got kicked out of the PC lessons because I "disturbed them so much") got her from the market, beautiful mare, but she was there for a reason (I tracked down previous owners) I was 15yrs old and my parents had no clue :) I didn't make them any wiser. She was just really sensative, tought me to sit out anything, but even at 29 she still made me eat mud. Hard as steel, and the only time I had the vet out (other than vaccines) was at 29 when colic put an end to it all.

My other soulmate was bought as a rescue foal at 3.5months, skin over bones, litterally, and at 3yrs (not broke yet) when she was at the clinic for an infected bug bite (a bucket of puss came out) I had her fore's xrayed, not because she was lame, but just to find out why she had uneven feet. She had high and low rinbone rightfore navicular grade 4 and left 3-4. I was advised by several vets to pts there and then. I thanked them for the advice and took her home, broke her at 4.5yrs and had the most amazing horse for 26years on. NEVER been lame, and sadly lost her to colic 2 months ago.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

I don't have much to add but definitely don't use their vet to vet the horse. You should always have the vetting done by an independent vet of your choosing.

mammyofthree1912

New User
Visit site
I don't have much to add but definitely don't use their vet to vet the horse. You should always have the vetting done by an independent vet of your choosing.

Ok will do if I go that far! Thanks all for the info - watch this space if she's still for sale after the weekend (unfortunately can get up this weekend) I will be going back up for a visit next week!

Sparkles

Visit site
No.

I'd only ever ask people who I regard as be able to give a far more valuable opinion than my own, so if I got a flat out no or subtle warning about a choice of horse...i would very much take that advice on board. Plenty of horses out there.

I've never had to go horse shopping, all of mine I've had full history on off friends. I would despise horse shopping if I had to with all the unscrupulous people out there now!

flosskins

Visit site
Yup, most of them! But most turned out ok, all taught me something and none were as bad as the scaremongers made out to be. As long as she seems to be a nice person then if you feel you can manage her then go for it!

joey&jess

Visit site
Yes.

In June I bought a chestnut TB ex-racehorse from a dealer on the cheap. Friends told me I was mad, refused to come with me to see it as not to encourage me and even withdrew offers of places to keep him.
From day 1 he turned out to be the soppist, sweetest horse you'd ever know. He will hack out for hours alone and in company in controlled canter which can be stopped with the lightest of aids. He has never spooked and he puts the local cobs to shame with his manners. I would have paid 5 times more for him had I known beforehand.

So my advice is go for it.
Only problem I found owning a tb is the cost of feeding them!

Goldenstar

Visit site
I think it depends on who is giving you the advice .
If say the trainer whose worked with you for years is saying I know this horse and I don't think it's the right one for you based on xyz that's one thing but if it's some one condemning the horse of the basis of not much then is sensible to ignore them.
I love TBs But as with any horse you need to have your eyes open , I would always advise that you get the mare vetted by a really good equine vet it might cost you about half the value of the horse but it could save you huge heartache and cost in the future .
Good luck I hope which ever horse you get you have loads of fun .

cptrayes

Visit site
Only thing that worries me is if she has to be ridden everyday and you have three children Will you be able to ride daily? Children do get ill etc.

This is a good point, but I think it's more likely to be how the seller thinks it's best to explain why the mare is too much for her. I've never owned a horse in that needed riding every day but I've bought one or two :)

I do wonder if a horse with known problems is much of a good buy in the current market, though?