Anyone bought or made insulated covers for indoor dog crates?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
The Rotties are crated at night as the blighters still chew, though much improved on what they used to do.

All is fine and they like their crates, especially now they can have a dog mattress in them (see more above about then having improved on the chewing front!), however if they can reach any material through the bars then they'll have it.

The nights are getting chillier and we live in a static caravan. It's reasonably well insulated and will be clad come Spring, however I'm starting to worry about the colder nights coming up in the meantime. The GSD doesn't care as she carts her own insulation around with her, the JRTx can both wear a coat and have blankets draped over and around her spot (plus she has a sort of self heating bed), but I'm wittering about the Grots; although they'll happily be outside for hours on cold days, so I know they don't feel the cold like I do.

I've considered everything from insulation foam boards, just worry in case they do get hold of it, to putting mesh around the crates and a quilt on top, with the hope that the mesh will keep the quilt out of their mouths!

Anyone had to make anything like this? I'm expecting that the insulated porch will, when it's up, solve the problem, but need something in the interim.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I have zipped canvas crate cover but it was given to me so don't know where it came from. Cardboard is good insulation, I break down the boxes my dog food bags came in and take them with me when travelling during the winter. You could put the crate in corner and pack around it?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
NH good thinking! Thank you. Will have a ponder on that and how to make it so can come apart during the day.

CC you've reminded me - we have the covers that go over the bigger crates (they live outside now). I like them as they have opening bits all over the place.

Hmmm... I think i might have it! Use the covers we already have and as they're too big anyway, take the baton idea and use that between crate and cover. Throw a king size quilt over the top and there y'have it! Insulated crates that haven't cost the earth.

You're both stars ⭐⭐ Thank you ??

fiwen30

Visit site
It might also be worth placing the crates on top of some sort of insulation board, as a lot of heat will also be leeched away by the floors.