Anyone changed from english to western?

burtie

Visit site
My horse does both, I'd say given the choice he prefers western, but I still compete so he has to put up with both!
Western
DSCN2159sm.jpg

English
dress2small.jpg

Debz87

Visit site
Hi guys, I used to ride English for several years and by accident came across a western horse show and haven't looked back.
After having a few bad experiences with western trainers I sent my QHxTB mare to I had the opportunity to train with a trainer and now am a western trainer and qualified instructor.
I think a lot of people think western is easier, you will see the prices of most western horses are considerably higher compared to English horses and this is because of the training put into the horses to make things look easy!
The main principles are to have control of each body part independently and in a controlled and relaxed manner, a lot of western horses are ridden with no contact from the start which is great but often means a lot of horses are heavy on the forehand, western horses need lots of schooling!
It's really great to see so many showing an interest :)
There are several shows dotted around the country if anyone is interested in seeing what it's all about. PM me if you would like more info :)

burtie

Visit site
Was it easy to train western? And what makes you say your horse prefers it? Does he feel more relaxed?

I first put a Western Saddle on him 3 years ago after my friend who's always done Western with her QH (the Palamino in the first pic!), suggested I try her old saddle as I was having problems with spooking out on rides. He's quite backward thinking and the saddle enabled me to ride forward with a light rein contact without having to worry about being on the floor after a spook. As time went on I rode him less and less with the rein contact and also added in some jog. I think he prefers it because I feel safe and relaxed riding on a loose rein in a way I wouldn't in the English and he is actually mush more forward going on in the Western. We didn't set out to specifically train Western and as I've always been a ride from the seat type of rider anyway, I didn't find Western that different. I'm probably not riding true correct Western style but I find no problems riding my friends horse and her mine so we can't be speaking completely the wrong language! :)

Last edited:

eahotson

Visit site
We are just beginning to dabble in western.Main difference I think ishat riding is more from the seat and legs and less from the hand.We had a trail session the other day and that realy tests your schooling! I love it and thik horse does too.

Visit site
Hi!

I backed my youngster English last year as thats all I was experienced in but knew I wanted to change over to Western. I am very lucky that due to house move I have moved to livery at a friends yard who rides, trains and competes western so thats what we now do, a few weeks into our changeover and we both love it, I feel it suits my horse well as he is a QH x Paint so should be good at it! And for anyone who thinks western is easy you should see the amount of work and training put in, it only looks easy as they are so highly trained! And the first time you sit on a well trained pleasure horse or reiner you'll be hooked!! Trust me!

Spring Feather

Visit site
I've only ever had a couple of horses could competently flit between English and western however I don't really believe the two disciplines can be mixed which is why I have western-only horses and English-only horses. I've been riding western for around 25 years now and I ride it predominantly but I still keep some English horses too as I enjoy show jumping and eventing.