Anyone dressage a Sec D ? To what level ?

Notimetoride

Visit site
Ive seen that Sec Ds can do pretty well in the dressage arena. Does their confirmation all them to work correctly as some can have a fairly long back. Would love to hear from people who enjoy dressage with their Sec Ds

Apercrumbie

Visit site
There is a poster on here who competes her Sec D Miss Congeniality (Genie) to a decent level. Her scores are very, very good - they're always placed. She has a lot of reports on here, they're great to read so it's probably worth searching her name :)

Notimetoride

Visit site
Just read my original post. Havent a clue what happened there - that'll teach me to not read through what ive written ?? Basically was just wondering if those with a long back could perhaps struggle and be a little harder to achieve results. Reason behind this as Im looking to get a v sweet Sec D and only slight drawback is a long back. Many thanks for the responses - lovely to hear how these ponies can do so well

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I have a D - we've done affiliated prelims on a ticket and my instructor recons we're aiming at elementary eventually. My other instructor thinks my D could do medium with the right training/rider.

Edited to add - he's 15.2 and a traditional (ie not too stocky) type, in 6'3 rugs (that gape at the neck!) if that helps answer the OPs question.

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
A friend of mine has successfully competed her lovely D in Elementary and Medium, fabulous horse, although to look at him you would not think he was a D.

Madali

Visit site
I have two. Four year second BD outing yesterday prelim 64.4 and 65.9 very pleased. She has a long back but when working correctly it does not look like it.
My other one have competed up to Elementary and BE Novice level.
I have seen some super smart D's out and about.
I think it is more likely to be their choppy trot that will work against you on the score front.

blitznbobs

Visit site
My first sec d as a teenager regularly won at medium... He struggled with the more advanced canter work but could piaffe and passage with the best of them...

soulfull

Visit site
Local inst had a D with a fairly long back. He competed well at adv med

Currently my long backed D competing well at novice and just starting elem at home. I hope to eventually do med or even adv med

Edited to say I just expect it to take longer to insure I don't push to hard and injure her

miss_c

Visit site
There is a poster on here who competes her Sec D Miss Congeniality (Genie) to a decent level. Her scores are very, very good - they're always placed. She has a lot of reports on here, they're great to read so it's probably worth searching her name :)

That's us! :D

The main problem I've had with Genie is that she is really built 'to tow' rather than to push. That and her attitude... you have to convince her that it's all her idea when really it's what you wanted in the first place. She's been an excellent Prelim horse and is stepping up to Novice well, still a few things that need tweaking before she can be truly competitive at Novice but she recently got her first 1st in an affiliated Novice. :) At home the Elem stuff is coming and we did have a play in one unaff Elem test just to see where we were, but I think it will be a while before she's out at Elem. I must admit it's quite satisfying when people (literally) look down on you in the warmup, and then you beat them.

trendybraincell competes her Welsh D Shadow at medium and he's schooling Adv Med/PSG. They've done the Inter-Regionals and been to Petplan Finals twice.

Here's GG strutting her stuff... she's much easier to ride at a show and the more people that watch the better! She's pretty unflappable in that respect and plays up to a crowd. Next on the cards for her are the Team Quest Finals at Bury Farm at the start of November.

1146503_787449281314580_4550883202205609437_n.jpg

2ytz0n8.jpg

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
f... she's much easier to ride at a show and the more people that watch the better! She's pretty unflappable in that respect and plays up to a crowd.

Mine too! Incredibly responsive and forward if he thinks there's enough people watching to show off to - and he KNOWS when we start a test so turns it on down the centre line.

FirstLight

Visit site
I'm glad I've just seen this! Genie looks fab and I notice in both the pics of the two cobs their plaited (I've been leaving mine natural).
I've just started doing dressage with my baby Welsh D we did our first Intro test last month which we were placed 1st, I was so shocked! And last week we headed out again and did Prelims scoring mid/high 60 's, we qualified for the finals next July! Very pleased with him and also noticed how many people on their very large horses giving us funny looks which then turned to surprised looks!

Jango

Visit site
I did fairly well with my Welsh D jango, unfortunately he's injured at the moment but we came 17th in the BD pet plan nationals In the novice restricted this year! His best score in a normal affiliated comp was 75% and I think we won around 50% of the novice classes we entered :) he is also long on the back, 15hh and 6'3" rugs! Welshies are ace!!

Notimetoride

Visit site
Thank you all so much for the replies and fabulous pictures. Soo exited to get my little Sec D and get back into it after a long break (my break not hers) :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
All the$e long backed wel$hie$, Frank i$ definitely not long!

we have competed novice and elem BD though the time we got to the latter he wa$ getting on a bit too much to $it properly, though he i$ moving $o well atm he feel$ like he could take anything on.

It al$o mean$ you can do dre$$age like thi$!

383020_10150466505612932_72510560_n.jpg

380273_10150466501017932_456972216_n.jpg

He alway$ ha$ been very con$i$tent, having not competed for nearly a year he went out from hi$ new yard and won a novice, he rock$ :D

28524_10150206339640438_7720219_n.jpg

trendybraincell

Visit site
Mine has competed up to Medium and been relatively successful, I'm hoping to get him back out soon to have a bash at an Advanced Medium or two. Both trainer & I feel he's likely to find it easier than Medium as his changes are better than his counter canter!
He's not a long backed D though, he is really nice and compact and probably just about 15.1hh. When I get the canter right its very nice to work with, he has a very natural desire to sit and collect it which in turn makes his changes very expressive :)

>

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg172/trendybraincell/IMG_8482.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry can't remember how to post the pic!!