Anyone else been bitten by a horse fly?

Field04

Visit site
I was bitten/stung by a horse fly yesterday whilst out on a hack. Has anyone else been bitten by one and got any good tips to help the swelling go down? Its very annoying as it feels like my whole arm is bruised, and the swelling is a large area of my arm! It is also quite itchy but more painful than anything.

I popped to the chemist and got some insect cream but its not doing much, so wondered if there are any other ideas? Thanks

Keenjean

Visit site
Antihistamine will do the job, the docs recommend the sainsburys own brand ones with the green and orange packet, I have massively bad reactions to horseflies I.e hospital and take these after and they really help.

smokey

Visit site
I take horrible reactions to bites, and horse flies love me! Get some portion or similar, and just watch for infection. I have needed antibiotics in the past because infection has tracked up my arm to the point I couldn't move it properly. Hope it feels better soon, try not to scratch! Make sure in fixture you have anti histamine available, the quicker you take them the better.

Last edited:

Field04

Visit site
I take horrible reactions to bites, and horse flies love me! Get some portion or similar, and just watch for infection. I have needed antibiotics in the past because infection has tracked up my arm to the point I couldn't move it properly. Hope it feels better soon, try not to scratch!

Its itchy, but I get no relief from scratching it. Its is also like my arm is stiff as it feels so tight where it is swollen. Just very annoying, especially as I think said fly was attacking pony as she got very agitated and biting herself, so I bent forward to remove annoying fly and I guess it decided to bite me instead!!:p

lazybee

Visit site
I've been bitten loads of times. We take the horses down an old railway line near ours where they congregate, we get dive bombed by hundreds of them though there. They're the ones that look like a grey moth.

Useless bit of info time.......the males are harmless hover flies that feed on pollen. The females are horse flies who need a blood feed before they lay eggs

Cover up is the best protection. Or even better get your backside out of bed early; and ride before they come out ;)

Field04

Visit site
I've been bitten loads of times. We take the horses down an old railway line near ours where they congregate, we get dive bombed by hundreds of them though there. They're the ones that look like a grey moth.

Useless bit of info time.......the males are harmless hover flies that feed on pollen. The females are horse flies who need a blood feed before they lay eggs

Cover up is the best protection. Or even better get your backside out of bed early; and ride before they come out ;)

Backside out of bed any earlier ain't gonna happen :D

Actually quite an interesting piece of information about the males and females!

MrsHutt

Visit site
I (luckily) haven't ever been bitten (hope this year isn't the first time) but my friend is bitten every year at least a couple of times - it must be one of those things that you are either prone to or not - she is obviously more tasty than me! ;)

She was got on the bum (through her jods!!) a couple of years ago - couldn't ride for a fortnight! :(

domane

Visit site
Yup..... they love me too I get hot, red, large itchy patches - pic is AFTER oral and topical antihistimes - and I NEVER feel them bite me...

DSC01407-1.jpg

I once jet-washed a rug in a pair of shorts and got bitten seven times on my legs.... that wasn't a fun time, I can tell you.

They bite me through clothing but for the last couple of years I have had great success with Jungle Formula's Extra Strong Fly Repellent. I keep a can in the car and spritz myself whenever I am outdoors, over all my clothing. Didn't get ONE bite last year and the year before I was only "got" on the back of my hand, which is where I hadn't sprayed! (swelled up like a good'un it did too! *sigh*)

smokey

Visit site
I (luckily) haven't ever been bitten (hope this year isn't the first time) but my friend is bitten every year at least a couple of times - it must be one of those things that you are either prone to or not - she is obviously more tasty than me! ;)

She was got on the bum (through her jods!!) a couple of years ago - couldn't ride for a fortnight! :(

This, I've been bitten through jeans as well. I"ll second the aloe Vera gel, it's fab stuff. If your arm continues to feel tight after anti histamine and gel etc, please see a doctor, as it may be infected

cambrica

Visit site
I would rather be stung by a wasp. Horsefly bites last ages and I do react. Worse for me are red ants - one bite and my whole arm comes up, formic

cambrica

Visit site
I would rather be stung by a wasp. Horsefly bites last ages and I do react. Worse for me are red ants - one bite and my whole arm comes up, formic acid. Ceterazine works for me.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
Sorry guys I've already seen 3 this year!!!! Crazy weather.

Horse flies (or Tabanidae) are attracted to dark clothing too, so light jods and tshirts help reduce the attraction - although if you have a dark horse, there's not much you can do about it!!
Neem oil is a good repellant - I think also the fly repellant we found most useful was SuperPlus Fly Repellant gel - although it made our chestnut quite greasy, it stopped flies even trying to feed on her, the minute they landed they flew off again.
K x

Parker79

Visit site
I react horribly to horseflies...Piriton never seems to work.

The worst bites are by something known as the Blandford Fly (strangely enough found in Blandford and surrounding areas).

I am well known for my many Blandford Fly bites...worst was on my hand...resulting in swelling so bad that my knuckles were no longer visible, hand went kinda purple! soooo painful and sooooo itchy! Couldn't walk when it got me on the knee once...horrid

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
My mum has a very bad reaction to horse fly bites.....it swells up and you can start to see red veins tracking in all directions. she has to have very strong antibiotics but also uses tea tree oil on a it and then a plaster over the top to draw it out, change every few hours then twice a day then once until its gone.

Ladyinred

Visit site
One of my mates got bitten last year and ended up in hospital the reaction was that bad

That happened to my neighbour a few years back. She was stung on the leg and it swelled so much it looked like it was going to burst. She ended up on IV antibiotics and steroid creams.

LollyDolly

Visit site
Sorry I really don't want to worry you but I strongly suggest that you keep an eye on it, I was bit by a horsefly in my thigh last year and I nearly died. I only left it three days however I became unable to walk and developed severe Cellulitis which in laymans terms is blood posioning. Luckily I went into hospital when I did, 24 hours later and I would have died because it had begun to spread and had it been left much longer then the posioned blood would have passed through my heart and caused my organs to fail.
I really don't mean to worry you, and as it turns out I am allergic to them however please keep an eye on it! These things can be worse than you think!
Also, here is a picture of my leg. The infected area measured 20cm by 16cm, as you can see it is terrbily swollen and ugly!
SQUEAMISH LOOK AWAY NOW!

IMG_0068.jpg

Ps. Sorry if the image is huge, I have no idea how to resize it!!