Anyone else being bothered by flies already?

AWinter

Visit site
Last few days my horses are being really bothered by flies 😩 they’ve still got full winter coats so I can’t even fly rug them.

Are we going to get another cold snap or is this it now?

First Frost

Visit site
Yes horrible little black flies eating their ears. I have been using Nettex summer freedom in ther ears, seems to work well. can't put fly masks on yet as they keep rolling in the mud and then have mud on their fly masks so they can't see!!!

asmp

Visit site
Yes horrible little black flies eating their ears. I have been using Nettex summer freedom in ther ears, seems to work well. can't put fly masks on yet as they keep rolling in the mud and then have mud on their fly masks so they can't see!!!
There is that 🤣

94lunagem

Visit site
I noticed a few midges this morning, but it’s generally wet and unseasonably warm. And I’m near lots of water anyway. Can’t bring myself to make up any fly spray just yet though!

AWinter

Visit site
Ugh, I’ve got one kicking up at his sheath already, I’m just looking at investing in some Boett rugs this year.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Plenty of midges, thankfully mine are all hairy even in the ears so they're not overly bothered.

The one who struggles with flies came in with bites on her neck so I'm having to spray her. In February, ffs.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Midges but also actual full sized flies but kind of tan coloured. Awful things. My two came in quite antsy and shaking heads with a swarm of them around their heads.

catembi

Visit site
I have got things on my yard already that look like mosquitos. Might they be midges? They are making the horses really stampy. It took ages for them to die off in autumn so I'm disappointed to see the wretched things out n about before it's even spring.

ponyparty

Visit site
Yup, I doused mine in fly spray yesterday as she was kicking at the under her tummy and round her teats. In her full winter woolies. Very odd, for February. I’m enjoying the mild weather though and I think she’s enjoying having some naked days when it’s not raining! Shame the fields are like soup again after last night’s rain 😩

Spirit7

Visit site
Just came in saying my older boy was fussing over one fly today when I was giving him a scratch at the gate. We’ve not really had a prolonged cold spell (yet!) this winter (Kent/Surrey border) but I think the fly’s are going to be seriously bad this year 🙁

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Yes midges galore! I think I’m going to have to dig out the fly masks too if this continues. Never ever used them in February before but there is a first time for everything!