Anyone else box resting at the moment?!

seoirse

Visit site
Anyone else out there mucking out twice a day and not riding when everyone else is out having fun?

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet with a broken horse at the moment as everyone else at my big yard (40+ horses) is out having a blast and mine is stuck in on his own, tragically with laminitis. He struck himself badly about 4 weeks ago and took half his foot off, then came down with lammy, despite being streamlined and ultra fit. Vet is a bit baffled but thinks the foot trauma has a lot to do with it, as he's lammy in all 4 feet but especially bad in the mangled foot, but luckily horse does seem to be improving slowly. I'm devastated as I've had this horse for 8 years since he was a youngster and had loads planned for this summer. Luckily he's coping ok with box rest, as long as I alternate his toys so he doesn't get bored! He's in love with his jolly ball today. Bless.

It's so sad seeing your beloved steed cooped up inside in a pitiful state when everything else is out rolling in the field. Especially after the winter we've all just endured! Boo. :(

lochpearl

Visit site
Yes and I can top it too! Mine is in with lami, this is the forth lot of box rest I've had with him, in 2 years of owning him, the first lot was for 9 months!!! He has had so many problems and this lami has been a complete shock and he is not enjoying it. Secondly to that my other horse has managed to damage himself too and is out resting in the field, so yes I feel doubly gutted as I have 2 out of work!! I totally feel for you :(

seoirse

Visit site
oh no, what a shame that they're both broken! Its so disheartening. My other ned is a 13hh ex BSJA pony that used to belong to my little sister but is now semi retired. So I can't do much with her except cuddle her! Though she is brilliant for that!

Laminitis is just horrible. I'm so sad that G has got it. We've had a similar struggle the last couple of years, he jumped out of the arena when I was loose schooling him cos he saw his mate coming back from a hack (dense beast) and then fell on the concrete and wrecked both knees, luckily no bone chips, but he was off for months, then he tore a high suspensory and was off again for months! He was going so well this spring though and we were working towards an ODE in May and now lammy. If he wasn't such a dude and my mate I think I'd want to give up, but I've decided if all he is good for is hacking then so be it! It's just so frustrating when you keep being knocked down and I can't help but feel really down about the lammy. His other injuries didn't give me such a sense of gloom as this.

How is yours getting on? Is it the first time he's had lammy? G's never had it before. He was so bad he couldn't walk out of the stable for the first couple of days last week but he's picked up now and is moving about on his bedding quite well. He's going to be in for weeks though. I'm trying to think weeks rather than months!!

Good luck, I hope yours is on the mend and makes a full recovery.

lochpearl

Visit site
I know how you feel, we had collateral ligament damage to both front coffin joints, then arthroscopy to both stifles for OCD, 2 weeks before his stifle ops last year he had a mild case of lami, still able to move but had pulses so they couldn't operate until he was 100%, I assume this was due to all the box rest, he'd put on weight then was just getting used to the grass again. Started him up through winter and was only up to trotting as taking it slow, turned him out 24/7 with my other lad and he just couldn't walk when I went one morning to check on him. This was very acute and he was bad in all 4, in fact he fell every time he tried to move, managed to get him in to the stable - it took an hour and it's normally a 3/4 min walk! He has recovered very quickly and well and now off the bute for a week before we can look at putting him out again, I also had him xrayed and luckily there was no movement or rotation so I now just have to be extremely strict with him and careful and being as he is 16.3 full ID at about 750 kilos and coming up for 6 years old, it isn't always that easy.

I would hope that your vet is being over cautious like mine and I agree this is weeks rather than months, we have done 3.5 weeks so far and even next week with the go ahead he will only be allowed out for a few hours a day until he gets used to the hard ground again and grass.

Hope your guy gets better soon, it is a complete nightmare!!!

debsflo

Visit site
my 2 are on the equivalent of box rest but outside. this is my mares 8th month after tendon injury just started walking in hand. daughters horse is lame back at newmarket next week. she is struggling as all her friends are out competing and she is missing competitions and pony club stuff. lifes a bummer sometimes but there are lots of us with broken horses. it feels worse now the weathers good...

seoirse

Visit site
I know how you feel, we had collateral ligament damage to both front coffin joints, then arthroscopy to both stifles for OCD, 2 weeks before his stifle ops last year he had a mild case of lami, still able to move but had pulses so they couldn't operate until he was 100%, I assume this was due to all the box rest, he'd put on weight then was just getting used to the grass again. Started him up through winter and was only up to trotting as taking it slow, turned him out 24/7 with my other lad and he just couldn't walk when I went one morning to check on him. This was very acute and he was bad in all 4, in fact he fell every time he tried to move, managed to get him in to the stable - it took an hour and it's normally a 3/4 min walk! He has recovered very quickly and well and now off the bute for a week before we can look at putting him out again, I also had him xrayed and luckily there was no movement or rotation so I now just have to be extremely strict with him and careful and being as he is 16.3 full ID at about 750 kilos and coming up for 6 years old, it isn't always that easy.

I would hope that your vet is being over cautious like mine and I agree this is weeks rather than months, we have done 3.5 weeks so far and even next week with the go ahead he will only be allowed out for a few hours a day until he gets used to the hard ground again and grass.

Hope your guy gets better soon, it is a complete nightmare!!!
Hope you get to turn him out a bit from next week. Great news though that he didnt have any damage to his feet. We've not xrayed yet. Vet wants to wait another week and see how he gets on. I have a really bad feeling but I think I am just fearing the worst cos it matters so much to me. Trying to be as optimistic as the vet!

So frustrating when things keep going wrong though. I think back to the pony I had as a kid, we had him 11 years, my sister went onto him after me, and them Mum hacked him out in his later years, he died at 33 and other than a cough one winter when the hay was dire, nothing ever went wrong!

seoirse

Visit site
my 2 are on the equivalent of box rest but outside. this is my mares 8th month after tendon injury just started walking in hand. daughters horse is lame back at newmarket next week. she is struggling as all her friends are out competing and she is missing competitions and pony club stuff. lifes a bummer sometimes but there are lots of us with broken horses. it feels worse now the weathers good...

I box rested G outside when he did his tendon and he came right despite the vets not thinking it would work. He was much happier out there, but obviously its not an option now with laminitis sadly. Though he has settled to being in better than I thought he would as he lives out all year round normally as his airways don't work very well when he lives in so I gave up stabling him about 4 years ago! Needless to say after a week in he has a dreadful cough now, but as the vet pointed out, its the least of his worries at the moment and once his feet are better and he can go out we'll worry about his breathing. Poor beast! Hope both of yours come right soon. Do you not know whats up with your daughters yet?

Cedars

Visit site
Yep, Frank is in after surgery on the suspensory ligament nerves. He's being a nightmare as the girls are out and about in the field.

Only another 2 weeks though thankfully! Xxxx

seoirse

Visit site
George usually kick the door dreadfully, but of course his feet hurt too much so other than gently rattling it with his knee a bit he's not really bothered much. I guess that will be the sign that he's better when he starts booting it full whack again!

Hope the next 2 weeks pass quickly and Frank is back out with the girls soon!

I've only (only?!) got the stable til November so G better get fixed by then!

dany

Visit site
Mines on BR as of today, hopefully not for too long as has thrown a huge splint and is mildly lame on it. He did have lovely clean legs all around until this, so gutted on that front and that we were just signing up to BD for our first party.

Horses ((((rolls eyes))))

all the best to everyone with broken horses x x