Anyone else can't ever bring themselves to sell their horse?

ATrueClassAct

Visit site
I've had my little mare for 7years and even the thought of selling her makes me ridiciously upset! I couldn't bring myself to, even if that means as she gets older I'll have to slow my riding down. Anyone else got a pony/horse they just can't sell!

Hollie15

Visit site
I would never ever sell my girlie. Had her on loan for 6 years, they took her back for 2 (and did nothing with her) and I bought her back a year ago and she has a forever home. I could never sell a horse I don't think. Since I have been alive none of our horses have been sold.
I get way too attached!!

indie999

Visit site
No home for life! Well just retired him so is now pet pony but he deserves a nice time now! Is no bother and he is a lucky boy! Did think of companion him but no way I just dont trust anyone else to care for him.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My boy is 99% darling - he fools everyone into thinking he's a plod: and 1% total fruitloop/ASBO; and he reserves his ASBO behaviour specially for public occasions like hunting, shows and the like, but I still can't see a time when I'd ever sell him. He's 15 now and I know I wouldn't do it. He'll probably start behaving perfectly 100% of the time when he's about 25, the monkey (like, pigs might fly???).

But I wouldn't/couldn't ever sell him, as I know that in the wrong hands his behaviour would get to the unmanageable stage, which would mean that he was either badly treated OR passed on through a downward spiral via dealers/markets etc, with only one end. Bless him, I guess I'm stuck with the blighter.

fliss26

Visit site
No I tried! I cried from the moment the first and only people tried her and so did my mum. So now she is ridden and pampered by my mum and they have their very first lesson together on Wednesday. Report and pics to follow.

Business

Visit site
Only ever sold one and that was the 13.2 I had a a child. Sold it to my best friends sister and he went to a lovely home on condition we had first refusal if they wanted to sell him. Am on my 4th now, the middle two were till death do we part. God I miss them, esp. my old boy...bred him and lost him at well over 24 to colic.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
My lad will never be sold, I absolutely do not want to contemplate life without him! Fany will not be sold unless I could absolutely help it, I would be more likely to loan her out.
FDC

canteron

Visit site
Haha, I am too pathetic to sell anything. I have a big girl I don't ride, and old fella who can't be riden and a young chap who I hope will be with me for life.

There are so many horror stories out there that I would just worry ..... I am envious of those pragmatic people who just 'move on' without a backward look and don't feel that lifelong responsibility to their (rather expensive to hold onto) horses.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, all my horses have a home for life. I don't see why they should be different to my dogs just because they are bigger and more expensive. I can't afford to have any more though, so when I can't ride my current riding horse, he will join the other field ornament and I will have to just ride my liveries' horses.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
NEVER as in the song from TOTO song ( Africa )

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

this song was played in the 80,s when my first mare Biscuit was taken away from yard and sold , then 2 months later this was playing and Angela the yard owner said i got gr8 news biscuits coming back the kids were fighting over her do you want to buy her dream came true I vowed the only thing that would separate us gain is when the lord above chose . and that's what happened

same with BONNIE Diamonds 23 and again that's the only thing that separate us. I would rather put them on half or full loan but to remain here I could never sell.
talking of which i am going to make a thread on if your horse has a song that is significant to your horse/ horses

Also my animals will all-ways be individually cremated when the time comes so our ashes will eventually be together.

Not having my horses ending up as dog **** by the hunt

Last edited:

crazyhorse4727

Visit site
Never, I've had my boy since he was 6months old, now he's 17years and he's as much my baby as my daugther! The only problem is my oh wants to move to new zealand, but I don't think we'll go cause he's to quirky to cope with quarantine!

Spyda

Visit site
Mine's got bilateral bench knees so I couldn't sell her even if I wanted to. But I bred her so wouldn't try to sell her anyhow. If she ends up being a 16.3 hands field ornament, so be it for the next 20 years. :rolleyes:

TopTotty

Visit site
I have five horses, two youngsters that I bred, my old mare and two competition horses. My eventer is off for a year or two and my other mare does NOT want to event so we do dressage. However I want to event so last year I put her up for sale and had a buyer and was waiting on the vetting, when my OH found me sobbing on the loo!!! Told me to just ring up the lady and explain!!!!!!!!!! So that was that and even after more bad news on the eventer front I still can not bring myself to sell her. The thought of it makes me want to sob! So this year dressage it is!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Archangel

Visit site
My OH calls me Surrey's most unsucessful horse dealer.
I really thought I would make my living buying and bringing on horses.
Perfect.
Errrr no.
Bought one in 1979 :eek: for £200 and turned down £2,000 for him few weeks later.
Person came back again with virtually an open cheque for him.
Fast forward 32 years :eek::eek::eek:
He is still here :)
And I work in IT :D

Cop-Pop

Visit site
I'd do anything to keep my horse - I won't say I'd never sell as who knows what the future holds. I'm aware I may need to rehome the pony soon tho :( as since I left my ex I'm struggling with one income esp as YO keeps putting the bills up :rolleyes: It's more likely to be a long term loan with her than actually selling tho as I don't want her passed round :)

Winklepoker

Visit site
I heartlessly sold my mare last year and afterwards regretted it deeply. I only realised how much I loved her to death after she had gone :( But I bought Freckles and as hard as I come across - he will be with me forever and ever amen!! :D Poor bugger!!

shellonabeach

Visit site
I'm also one of these people who gets upset at the thought of selling my horses.

If worst came to worst I would either loan them locally or PTS. I have always told my OH if anything happens to me to put them both on retirement livery together and if anything goes wrong with either / my money runs out PTS.

I have had my gelding 16 years and my mare 3 years - she was bought to take over the workload from my older gelding. I love them both to pieces, and they are very fond of each other.

I sent my mare away for schooling in March, she was meant to be gone for a month, but when she went I realised just how attached I was to her and ended up bringing her home after a day and a half!!

Like others I make sacrifices to keep these 2 horses and have to limit my riding to their capabilities.

Firewell

Visit site
No I'm pretty crap at selling. I've sold one but I'd only had him 8 weeks and he was just plain wrong and I didn't miss him at all.
The others well... My late mare I tried to put in loan but I just couldn't do it, I found a lovely home but I just couldn't part with her. She died not long after of colic, odd how things work out.
If I was clever I would part with my current horse for a tidy profit while he's young, but I won't. He does everything I want so why would I, I wouldn't be able to do it either. He's a good horse and good horses stay forever :D.
My family's horses were brought aged 7 and they lived to 23 and 26 respectively and they were amazing, true family members. They were take anywhere, do anything type horses and were worth their weight in gold. The older they got, the more useful they got. They were amazing competition horses who turned into fabulous schoolmasters, nannys and confidence givers.
Keeping a horse for life is a very special thing :).

Rose Folly

Visit site
None of our horses over my lifetime have been sold - though ironically my father bred and sold super-heavyweight hunters to the USA in the 1930s.

My old mare Rose Folly became too arthritic to ride at 19, and as I couldn't afford to run two horses I decided not to ride until she died. In the event someone lent me a nice plump cob, and Rose lived on happily till colic wrote finis at 23. Bought a naughty little Irish cob mare and SHE is now with me for life. Luckily my two liveries feel the same about their horses, so I don't have to get upset about them either. We'll all grow old - and poor - together!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The only difference to the above is if something happened tome and I have told ILPH ( Horse Welfare) that I am gifting them in to them I know then their future is secure should i go first as without this in place no 1 in my family would take may gang on they would be separated at least ILPH they would always belong to them,.

ihatework

Visit site
I've got one retired horse that I would never ever sell.

I've got one fairly new horse that even this early on I think is a keeper for life.

I sold one horse a fortnight ago, that I have known for 3 years wasn't right for me but procratinated for those 3 years about selling. I did eventually do it though!

riding_high

Visit site
i bought 2 youngsters a couple of years ago to bring on and then sell, well one of them was to keep.
the one i bought to sell on was nearly pts 18months ago as he was so nasty. in the last 9 months though something clicked and now i don't want to sell him so i keep making excuses to my OH so that i can keep him! i would however loan him out locally but even that's looking unlikely as i keep getting a stronger bond with him each day that passes! lol

claireandnadia

Visit site
If I HAD to because there was no other option then reluctantly I would but cannot imagine selling Nadia. I love that mare so much even though on occasions she can be a cow.

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
I couldn't sell either of my boys either.....one I have had since I was 11 years old and during our time together he has been up for sale and almost sold twice, both times I called the sale off as I just couldn't do it.....I've learned now he's never going anywhere without me despite people offering to buy/full loan etc left right and centre as he is the worlds most perfect little horse.

My big lad was a gift to me and he is my dream horse! I've only had him almost 2 years but I knew for sure it's til death do us part all along.