Anyone else done 'Take Back the Reins'?

nona1

Visit site
After a 20 year absence from riding (bar a small amount of messing about with horses on a voluntary basis for one week each summer, without much actual riding involved) I've just signed up for a Take Back the Reins course at local riding school, and my first session is this week. I'm so excited (but also quite nervous).

What a great scheme - special 7 week course for adult 'returners' to riding, in a group of 6 people in the same situation, 50 minute lesson followed by 40 minutes group tea, cake, feedback, chat and 'mentoring' (what does that mean?). All for £150, which seems like quite a bargain to me.

Found the self-assessment form a bit hard to stomach as it made me realise what I've lost.When I was a teenager I could have ticked all the boxes right up to 3'+ XC jumping, but had to be realistic so ticked 'novice' and 'able to trot without stirrups', which I might regret as I think I'd last about 30 seconds before my stomach muscles gave out, lol.

Anyone else done this? How did you find it? Did it get you back into riding as a hobby again after the course?

Rouletterose

Visit site
I've never been out of riding, pretty ancient now and still ride most days, but I am sure you will be fine once you get started, and wish you the very best of luck.

aliby

Visit site
I haven't done a 'take back the reins' course, but did something very similar about this time last year - six weeks of lessons for adults wanting to get back to riding, without the cake and mentoring but with the tea and chat!

It was bloomin fantastic! I literally hadn't been on a horse for 35 years, and as a kid I never got beyond the once-a-week lesson stage. Needless to say, I was utterly incompetent - could still do rising trot bu that was about it! but the instructors were great, and coped with people of varying level of skills / rustiness. And strangely, after the first week when I could hardly walk for three days, I really didn't ache much.

I got completely hooked. Now having lessons twice (or more if I can afford it) a week. And I have to say, I think I am enjoying riding even more than I did when I was a child.

really hope you enjoy it - I'd love to have an update to know how it goes

nona1

Visit site
oh dear god I have totally rubber legs now; literally collapsed on to floor when I dismounted (embarrassing) and have nearly fallen over 3 times just trying to walk around...I'm knackered.

Was expecting a gentle intro but no, instructor worked us to death with mostly trotting (including without stirrups). So hard to be so crap at everything - where have my muscles gone, where has my balance gone, where has any control over my own limbs gone?

Loved it! :)

Nice place, good forward going horses, nice instructor even though she tried to kill us, friendly little group of 4 of us. slightly scared still as she says 'lots of cantering' for next week (gulp), then lateral work, and in a couple of weeks, jumping! What????!!!! of course she is pushing us but we can always wimp out of something if we need to, it's great really that it's not just sit on a plodder time, just all very daunting...

I also had a few inadvertant short canters tonight as my boy was feeling a wee bit lively and wanted to get up the other horses bums all the time, plus a couple of small bucks, but nothing nasty about him so I was quite proud of staying calm and not falling off. I've been promised something a bit less fresh for cantering next week, thank goodness, they like to rotate you round lots of different horses for the experience.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
What an excellent idea :D

Hope they don't kill you off in the process!

Warm Radox bath for the aches.
Arnica for any bruising.
Chocolate for the soul.
:D

Welcome back to the wonderful world of horses :D

WestCoast

Visit site
Sounds like a great idea. So much more sensible than my private lesson after 27 years, where she had me jumping by the end. Couldn't move for a week.:eek:

Your muscles will return, I promise you. That was my worst problem - I knew what I wanted my body to do, but it just wouldn't do it.

Paula

nona1

Visit site
I'm in agony today - had a hot bath and taken some painkillers but still, ouch.

People at work knew I was going and find it funny that it's hurting so much. Especially as some of them have 'ridden' themselves - ie sat on a horse and gone trekking on holiday, just a grown ups pony ride, and I've tried explaining there's a big difference between just sitting on a horse and actually riding one but they can't really understand, bless 'em.

nona1

Visit site
They've got several groups apparently at different times, a lot of groups continue after the initial 7 week course.

CLM

Visit site
There do seem to be a lot of "returners" about, I was away for about 25 years , just decided one day to have a lesson, and loved it. I hadn't really forgotten anything, was cantering within the first 10 minutes, so much like riding a bike, you dont forget. But had no muscle or core strength at all. Instructor was also evil and made me trot without stirrups for 20 minutes :eek: Needless to say I could not move after the lesson and was in agony for days after. Do beware though it is easy to get sucked in, lessons turn to horse share ,and then more lessons ,and before you know it you will be looking for one of your own.:D