Anyone else feel like they are winging it?

.Redmerl

Visit site
I've had horses for ever so don't mean general care ect but competing wise. Always feel like everyone else knows just what they are doing and have a plan. I'm always thinking we don't look as good, not as ready or prepared and generally winging it? Or schooling at home, everyone looks effortless and on a training plan, I feel like I'm working super hard to try and get what they do naturally.

Please tell me I am not the only one winging it????

I*HM

Visit site
I'll join the ''just winging it'' club!

When I compete I always feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Everyone else looks better, knows what's going on and seems to get all the memos I miss (ie everyone walks the course in Dubarries and long socks, I'd have wellies).

I feel like covering the basics is an achievement for me, but it just happens for everyone else. And I never expect to win or place, every time I do I think it's down to luck or everyone else having a bad day, it's not like I've no faith in my horse but I feel like everyone else is so much more serious/competitive while I'm just chancing my arm :D

emmah

www.amazingpase.co.uk
I'll join the ''just winging it'' club!

When I compete I always feel like I stick out like a sore thumb. Everyone else looks better, knows what's going on and seems to get all the memos I miss (ie everyone walks the course in Dubarries and long socks, I'd have wellies).

I feel like covering the basics is an achievement for me, but it just happens for everyone else. And I never expect to win or place, every time I do I think it's down to luck or everyone else having a bad day, it's not like I've no faith in my horse but I feel like everyone else is so much more serious/competitive while I'm just chancing my arm :D

Can I join the just winging it club too please ;) I make the numbers up everytime I compete but it never stops me!!

muffinmunsh

Visit site
... Notorious for forgetting test, riding the wrong way etc etc. I am convinced my poor little horse would loads better without the numbty on board! She works hard for her points ... I go and get a couple deducted for using the wrong salute ;-)

Sparkles

Visit site
I refuse to walk a jumping course, as if I actually looked at what I was jumping, I'd have a panic attack and wuss out. I simply stand at the side of the ring [usually with a alcoholic beverage for medicinal purposes obviously], pointing the order of jumps to myself and literally just remember the course from the outside of the ring.....

Completely unprofessional!

.Redmerl

Visit site
I'm so thankful it's not just me. I also miss the memos about the 'in' gear. Eg I'm still not in the 5 point breast plate gang.

Covering the basics is a massive achievement for me too.

Laura6544

www.petportraitsbylauracooper.co.uk
Havn't competed for a while but always have felt like I winged it. Was so petrified of showjumping but made myself do it because I loved eventing (cross country and dressage bit anyway), that I have been physically sick before my round. Thanks to my amazing girl we rarely had a pole, infact in the end it was my best phase, what everyone didn't realise though was that I was just clinging to her neck and just about able to point her in the general direction of the next fence. Thankyou Woody for covering up my 'winging it'!

jenki13

Visit site
Can I join the "winging it" club too? :p Most the time I go along hoping that what I'm doing is right (riding wise) & then thinking my horse probably does this a lot: :rolleyes: hahaha

monkeymad

Visit site
Hell yes!! Even when I'm jumping a fairly decent size course (newcomers and novice BE), I walk the course and count the strides - god knows why cos I wouldn't have a hope of actually being able to ride and alter my horse's striding!!

I*HM

Visit site
I'm so thankful it's not just me. I also miss the memos about the 'in' gear. Eg I'm still not in the 5 point breast plate gang.

Covering the basics is a massive achievement for me too.

Yep, I missed the 5 point breast plate memo too :eek: I've a boring hunting breast plate and a plain cavesson, no a bit of sheep skin or colour coordination in sight . I always feel so out of place when show jumping especially, everyone is fashionable and look conscious. How does that happen... looking smart, knowing what's going on and not doing something completely embarrassing all at once, surely this is a skill?

jenki13

Visit site
Yep, I missed the 5 point breast plate memo too :eek: I've a boring hunting breast plate and a plain cavesson, no a bit of sheep skin or colour coordination in sight . I always feel so out of place when show jumping especially, everyone is fashionable and look conscious. How does that happen... looking smart, knowing what's going on and not doing something completely embarrassing all at once, surely this is a skill?

I don't even own a breastplate! :eek: & we don't do matchy-matchy- well except for her travel rugs & boots :p

Dolly_Mixture

Visit site
I'm well in the "winging it" club!! Last season were my first ever shoes (I'm in my mid-20s) and I always felt like I stuck out, had no idea what I was doing, all my gear looked like it'd been bought on a budget, I forgot courses regularly. It's all making me cringe already... God knows why I'm preparing for this years show season already!!! :S lol

horseandshoes77

Visit site
count me in too ... im always winging it lol..mine stems from my youth..i could never afford the latest gear!! so my first ever sjumping i had my school jumper and a pair of hunter wellies(i was given) ...altho we went clear and came second in jump off lol...now im lucky to have a good hubby who doesnt mind my hobby but even with all the right attire i always feel like the girl who doesnt fit lol.. sometimes im even put off attending things just because i feel we wont have the right stuff !!!

Shantara

Visit site
Can I join too? I turn up, groom Ned, walk course, BEG him to go into the show ring and try my best to steer and not fall off.
This year, I shall hopefully have more of a plan! Haha!

Trinity Fox

Visit site
Jenki13 I do not have matchy matchy:eek: I have ridden forever but dont compete that much as have alot of newly broken horses always.

I think some people are are just winging it some are super with it and others are just super cocky so dont worry.

There are some who are just too cool for school my dad for instance who when he first started point to pointing said oh I was really enjoying the race but something distracted my attention for a bit during it.

Our jaws were on the floor when he said this and I was thinking I would have been too busy crapping myself to be distracted.

As for always having a plan as to what you are doing, well you can be better winging it as horses have never read the plan you have so at least you will not be panicking if it did not go as you were expecting, so you are doing it the right way.:)

katastrophykat

Visit site
Haha!! Me too... I have on occasion put a horse into a new bit at a show... I always mean to try them in it at home but never quite get round to it... In fact that pretty much sums up my training... Unless im having a lesson my schooling kind of turns into fun time. Current welshie is aware that if he behaves perfectly for about ten minutes, I'll let him schlep about playing games and having fun after that... That must change this year though... I'm starting the baby horse so must be more organised...! :D

I've been lucky enough to have ready made (but quirky to say the least!) competition horses til now, but as this is my first youngster I should really do things right!

I will remain in the winging it club with the section D though!

Capriole

Visit site
Im just thinking, maybe all the people that look too cool for school and together also feel like theyre winging it too!

People seem to think I know whats what as well, but really I dont have a life plan, or an anything plan...stuff just happens to me one thing after another :D