Anyone else found things in the Aplha a??

BigGinger

Visit site
I feed my horse on Alpha - a Oil which he is doing well on.. I have noticed a few times that near the end on the bag there a sometimes hard stone like things - Usually notice these wen my horse spit them out in the bucket because he cant chew them which was concerning...

Tonight i did his feed and I'm about a 1/4 way through the bag and find part of what looks like a dead bird!! I am horrified and abit dissapointed.. am i just unlucky?

My boys prone to ulcers and he's good on the aplha oil to keep on his weight. I can't change his feed so drastically so i'm off to buy another bag tomorrow and have rang their help line and left a message. Now I feel a little disheartened and wondering what other feeds are out there that are high in fibre, low in sugars with no cereals that has extra calories he needs..

Any other bad/good experiences from you guys?

wallykissmas

Visit site
Not in Alfa a but in haylage I found a rabbit leg with the fluff all dried, wondered why that area was a bit mouldy looking..... A few people have mentioned the weird things they have found. Makes me hate putting my feed into the bins, having to put my hand into the bag and scoop it out :eek:

maclottie

Visit site
Yes, I have found green plastic shreds in Alpha-A. It happened in 3 different bags several weeks apart. Like you I thought it was a one- off then I tried again - twice - but after 3 times I gave up.

I phoned the manufacturers who said yes they were aware that sometimes plastic shred got into the product, but there was nothing they could do about it. I must say I was pretty shocked by their attitude!!!

Im not buying from that manufacturer anymore!!

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I found a clump of what I thought was rubber in Spillers Happy Hoof - turns out it was a clump of moglo (a type of sugar, alternative to molasses) but they still apologised that it escaped their quality control and sent me £30 in vouchers!
Definitely worth complaining about - as for a feed change, my brain isn't in gear tonight I'm afraid!
K x

Nickles1973

Visit site
I have found bits of chopped up plastic bags in one sack of Dodson and Horrell Fibregy and my YO found a deflated balloon. We complained and got £10 vouchers both times and they explained it by saying that things do get into the fields and sometimes find there way into the chaff.
Seems like all the manufacturers have similar issues.

BigGinger

Visit site
Seems likes its a common thing then and not just me or Dengie feeds either.. I understand it's going to happen at some point that we find strange things in our feeds but a dead animal is not good even though these things happen, i hate to think its contaminated the feed and my horse has been eating it!

Iwantcandy

Visit site
Have a look at the Simple Systems website. All natural foods - high in fibre, low in sugars, free from preservaties or additives. It's Alfafa based too. :)

BigGinger

Visit site
I originally wanted to feed simple systems but have no Stockists near me and cant afford to buy in big bulk for just one horse either so i got abit stuck and have to feed something else

springer1021

Visit site
I found a very sharp bit of wood in a bag of dengie - but only after it had cut my horses mouth :mad:.

I complained to Dengie and they sent me some vouchers and in the bag I bought with the voucher I found a bit of rope !!

They said their machinery would only alert them to any metal objects that were contaminating the feed.

I've never found anything in any other manufacturers feed.

Capriole

Visit site
They said their machinery would only alert them to any metal objects that were contaminating the feed.

I've never found anything in any other manufacturers feed.

I did find a bit of metal in alfa a, years ago. I rang them and they told me I hadnt :rolleyes:

I told them, yes, I had actually, and they said the only way that ever happens is when the metal detectors have gone offline/faulty, or something.

Fact remained I had a bit of metal in my feed however much they said I hadnt. Really peed me off tbh, and I changed feed brands after that.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Now I feel a little disheartened and wondering what other feeds are out there that are high in fibre, low in sugars with no cereals that has extra calories he needs..

Any other bad/good experiences from you guys?

I have changed all te horses over to Pure Feeds. The quality is consistently good and the horses love it. You can order it direct from them or from efeed.co.uk

Sameru

Visit site
My dad (recently retired) used to make all dengies fibres (Alpha A, Hifi etc.) I can 99.9% gaurantee NO metal is in there... it gets put through detecters before it goes in the bag and after it is packed - if there was metal in the bag it was after it was opened Im afraid. Like anything, Quality control is done by humans (mostly) who are never 100% perfect 100% of the time.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont really see what the big fuss is about - ok obviously a rabbits leg or something isnt hygenic to be in a bag, but finding twigs / stones etc. in bags isnt a big problem. Surely you all fluff it up a bit when your handfulling it into your horses buckets to notice any bits of plastic etc. anyway? The stuff Ive found in my Alfa A is no different to what I've found amongst my hay!