Anyone else got working gundogs?

Ravenwood

Visit site
I had my first days picking up this season today. Both dogs behaved immaculately. I am amazed, I thought they would be mad, my lab is a bit of a whiner, but not a peep from him. We had a good day, 160 birds in the bag and only two of us picking up plus one gun had a dog and the shoot owner had his - so lots of ground covered. I am absolutely shattered now but very much looking forward to Tuesday at a different shoot (much bigger shoot but 8 of us picking up!)

Have you been out yet this season?

Tinkerbee

Visit site
aww well done doggies

nope no gundogs
frown.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
My brother has two, a Black Lab and ESS. I have a JR who just thinks he's a gundog, but to be fair is a better retriever than he is a ratter (keeps bringing me rats and dropping them still live at my feet!!!
frown.gif
).

gemmaw

Visit site
we got a springer and 3 bavarian hounds, they track deer rather than work the ground like the spaniel, he's a nutter when you take him, tries to catch the birds when they're still in the air!!

GinaB

Visit site
Yep
smile.gif
7 year old black lab bitch. Fantastic dog even though blind in one eye.

And a 18week old yellow lab that will be trained as a gundog. Doing basic commands with her at the min, then about 6months old the real work begins!
laugh.gif

echodomino

Visit site
I have 8 Gundogs but they're not workers, although Stanley did start his basic training as a puppy but that's as far as we got - apparently he's got potential though and we were told we should have continued with him.

There are a few we've bred that work and they've been out and are doing well.

k9h

Visit site
Lab you is training to pick up. She is 16mths so will have a few have days this season & maybe a ull day towards the end of the season but not much more.
So for most of season I shall be in the beating line (where all the fun is)!!
First day is nextr Friday I think!! Best go check!
Hope to train up a few more to have a team of picker ups!

14092007279.jpg

Ravenwood

Visit site
Well done - it is good to take it steady. I have to admit to starting dogs too young in the past but fortunately I haven't paid the price. Now if I have a younger dog I take them along but keep them on the lead to watch and learn and perhaps let them sweep at the end.

I seem to have been swept up in the training of gundogs and for some reason I was asked to organise a gundog scurry and of course once you do it - everyone asks you to do it! But its great fun for the summer.

welshies

Visit site
I have a Welsh springer but not really a gun dog, has a play with my boyfriend and his air riffle (he's not a load a shot gun at home-mommy wont let him) He actually is very good, instinct just kicks in! He does catch his own too, got a rabbit on Saturday morn. I have been asked by my farrier to take him on their shoots this year as they are always looking for dogs and i would love to but i am frightened of loosing him! He is our absolute baby and i never let him out of my sight (as i have nearly lost him in the past). He has a bit of a problem with coming back you see! He's 10 x better than he used to be and now comes back as long as there are no distractions, but i'm guessing he would class hundreds of birds as a distraction!

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Yep, got a Springer (and a whippet and a terrier), she was out on Saturday with my husband, beat one shoot one, first shoot of the season so was flying practise for the pheasants and ducks really, but she retreived all he shot to hand.
DSC00074.jpg

Typical Springer though, bit too manic as times, hopefully she will settle dwon as the season progresses (she is 4, so maybe a forlorn hope)!

Also excitement in the shoot as The Field are coming to Devon in November, and our shoot (well, not OURS, but where OH shoots) are supposed to be featured/photographed etc, think they will have to go back to wearing ties that day...

Oh yeah, she retreives from water no trouble!
DSC00063.jpg

mishmash

New User
Visit site
I've got a Flat Coat Retriever
smile.gif
- but far too much of a numpty to work!
grin.gif
I'm sure she could if trained properly as actually very very intelligent - when she wants to be! She's great.
wink.gif

Ravenwood

Visit site
Also excitement in the shoot as The Field are coming to Devon in November, and our shoot (well, not OURS, but where OH shoots) are supposed to be featured/photographed etc, think they will have to go back to wearing ties that day...

LOL - last year we had Shooting Gazette out to our first day - it was a disaster - it rained all day and the photographer was determined to get a photo of my lab retrieving but only one bird fell in our field and by the time photographer got his camera out it was too late - so at the end of the drive he took the bird off me and threw it for my lab to retrieve!! Anyway there is actually a lovely picture of me and my dog in it - I was very proud!