Anyone else have a clever pony?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
We have a couple of apple trees on the way from the yard to the field and some times Sam can be a twit on the hill on the way to his field, so a couple of times I've picked an apple from the tree and he's got it if he makes it to the bottom of the hill without rearing! so that has helped us get down the hill safely and now he's stated stopping at the tree and not wanting to move until I've picked him an apple!

I literally did it twice before he worked out this little trick!! luckily he will still go past when I'm riding without trying to stop

This was him this morning

Auslander

Visit site
We have a bridleway with an apple tree half way along it near us. I nearly fell off Alf last year when he slammed the brakes on, and the whole front end suddenly disappeared. He had spotted the windfalls, and decided to help himself. He now tries to veer off down that bridlepath every time we pass it, even if we're heading for home! Sadly, the tree hasn't fruited this year, so a trio down it is always a disappointment for him.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
We have a bridleway with an apple tree half way along it near us. I nearly fell off Alf last year when he slammed the brakes on, and the whole front end suddenly disappeared. He had spotted the windfalls, and decided to help himself. He now tries to veer off down that bridlepath every time we pass it, even if we're heading for home! Sadly, the tree hasn't fruited this year, so a trio down it is always a disappointment for him.

haha they are soo clever, when it comes to food!! so pleased that you managed to stay on after he did an emergency stop!

Auslander

Visit site
haha they are soo clever, when it comes to food!! so pleased that you managed to stay on after he did an emergency stop!

He gives me plenty of staying-on practice! Usually a bit more exciting than that particular incident -I'd have been mortified if I had hit the deck!

honetpot

Visit site
I have a pony so clever that every other horses can not stand him. He should have been in a circus, he turns on taps, undo's ropes, walks the fence line to look for the weakest place and his intelligence has got him into all sorts of trouble.
He is only 12 hands so he is to clever for most young children but an older novice has loads of fun on him, he is like a hairy ATV and will go anywhere. He is now 23 and still looking for the next person to have an adventure with.

pennyturner

Visit site
Put my little NF into harness for the very first time last week, alongside an experienced pony. Never even long-reined him first. He was tense, head high in the air and both ears pointing backwards, following every move that I made. Then he proceeded to respond immediately to ever command I gave, on the button, - went faultlessly through all paces, and even the breeching downhill only took him a minute or so to figure out. By the end of the short drive, I would have happily taken him through a busy town.

Funny thing is, he is a nervous, highly strung little thing... but he knows who he trusts, and he's very, very quick on the uptake.