Anyone else having problems with fungus in chaff?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I had to take a second bag back, this morning. First bag was exchanged yesterday (top customer service!) and much swearing ensued this morning, when I knew before even opening it, it stank that bad! Gave up and bought some Graze On, instead. Not ideal, as I have oodles of grass, but I need some sort of chaff to mix supplements in and dampen them down and alfalfa is a no-no for one of them. Feed merchant thinks it might be the heat causing it to sweat in the bag, but I've never had this issue, before, so wondered if it was a funny year for it?

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm glad you posted this. Its an exceptional year for heat and humidity, don't know about horse feed but stuff in my kitchen is going off quickly unless I put everything straight in the fridge or pantry.

Going to check my feed bags now, particularly as the horses are eating less bucket feed in this weather and the stuff is lasting longer.

Fransurrey

Visit site
That's the trouble. I feed two handfuls a day to each of mine, so it lasts over a month. Never had an issue before and I feed more of it now than I used to - it used to last about 3 months! Lately Henry has been having the squits overnight. Fine from about lunchtime, but always runny poos when I poo pick in the morning. Am now feeling terrible that it might have been fungus in the chaff and because it's open and aired in the bin, I haven't noticed. The merchant said that they hardly sell any of this (it's the slim-chaff) and so there's a chance the stuff I've just finished is the same batch as these two new bags which were covered in it from the off. You'd think LAST summer would have created more of an issue!!